mailing list of musl libc
* dynamic compile issue
@ 2014-12-18 16:04 stephen Turner
From: stephen Turner @ 2014-12-18 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I have no reason to believe this is a musl issue but seeing that your in
the business of building a libc i was hoping someone could give me a
pointer or something to assist.

I have a pure musl libc chroot and when compiling static it links/works
fine. im now on my 2nd-3rd gen applications being compiled in the chroot
alone. when i go to do a dynamic compile however it always wants to link to
ld-linux.so.2.  I do not have any kind of scripts or anything running in
the chroot yet and im sure that this is caused by me but i just dont know
where or what to look for?  there is no ldconfig installed or running which
was mentioned as a possible issue referring to the wrong libs.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

thanks,
stephen

* Re: dynamic compile issue
@ 2014-12-18 18:43 ` Isaac Dunham
From: Isaac Dunham @ 2014-12-18 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:04:16AM -0500, stephen Turner wrote:
> I have no reason to believe this is a musl issue but seeing that your in
> the business of building a libc i was hoping someone could give me a
> pointer or something to assist.
>
> I have a pure musl libc chroot and when compiling static it links/works
> fine. im now on my 2nd-3rd gen applications being compiled in the chroot
> alone. when i go to do a dynamic compile however it always wants to link to
> ld-linux.so.2.  I do not have any kind of scripts or anything running in

You failed to patch GCC or configured it for glibc inadvertently.
(ld-linux.so.2 is the glibc dynamic linker.)
The patch and build options should be documented in bootstrap-linux or
musl-cross, whichever has the patches you're using at the moment.
(Check that you applied the patches *and* used the target that the
scripts use.)

HTH,
Isaac Dunham

* Re: dynamic compile issue
@ 2014-12-18 18:47   ` stephen Turner
From: stephen Turner @ 2014-12-18 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

im using PCC as my compiler. it was initially built with gcc but since has
recompiled itself several times. 2 at least in the chroot musl only
environment alone. would this advice still apply? If i understood the pcc
group correctly it should not be responsible for this but i cant help but
think it is. regardless i will look into any advice/leads provided.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:04:16AM -0500, stephen Turner wrote:
> > I have no reason to believe this is a musl issue but seeing that your in
> > the business of building a libc i was hoping someone could give me a
> > pointer or something to assist.
> >
> > I have a pure musl libc chroot and when compiling static it links/works
> > fine. im now on my 2nd-3rd gen applications being compiled in the chroot
> > alone. when i go to do a dynamic compile however it always wants to link
> > ld-linux.so.2.  I do not have any kind of scripts or anything running in
>
> You failed to patch GCC or configured it for glibc inadvertently.
> (ld-linux.so.2 is the glibc dynamic linker.)
> The patch and build options should be documented in bootstrap-linux or
> musl-cross, whichever has the patches you're using at the moment.
> (Check that you applied the patches *and* used the target that the
> scripts use.)
>
> HTH,
> Isaac Dunham

* Re: dynamic compile issue
@ 2014-12-18 19:14     ` Rich Felker
From: Rich Felker @ 2014-12-18 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 01:47:49PM -0500, stephen Turner wrote:
> im using PCC as my compiler. it was initially built with gcc but since has
> recompiled itself several times. 2 at least in the chroot musl only
> environment alone. would this advice still apply? If i understood the pcc
> group correctly it should not be responsible for this but i cant help but
> think it is. regardless i will look into any advice/leads provided.

PCC probably just has /lib/ld-linux.so.2 hard-coded for the "linux"
target. You just need to change this when building it for a musl-based
system or pass -Wl,-dynamic-linker,/lib/ld-musl-i386.so.1 (or whatever
your arch is) on the command line.

Rich

* Re: dynamic compile issue
@ 2014-12-18 20:13       ` stephen Turner