mailing list of musl libc
* Adapting binaries easily to musl, or database with binaries (musl)
@ 2019-06-07 13:53 Brian Peregrine
From: Brian Peregrine @ 2019-06-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

I'm looking for an easy way on how people can either:
* adapt their downloaded binaries to be able to run on musl
* or simply download prepared musl binaries from a database

I doubt that second option exists, as such a database would need to
cover a large amounts of programs, for various cpu classes, and be
often updated with new versions of those programs.

I'm particularly looking for the most recent (stable, musl) version of
chromium browser and/or firefox, I'm running gentoo linux (musl), on a
32-bit (i686) machine.

For firefox, glibc binaries are available from
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/linux/
For chromium I couldn't really find a glibc binary;
there's https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium
but that redirects to an unstable version
(https://download-chromium.appspot.com ) and to
http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html
(but those are old binaries).

Anyway, can someone describe how the binaries can be easily altered to
run on a musl distro , and tell me a download link for chromium for
the latest stable release ?
With the binaries, I want to avoid to need to compile the gentoo
package (this can be problematic as live distro's are not updated that
often).

Brian

* Re: Adapting binaries easily to musl, or database with binaries (musl)
@ 2019-06-08  9:33 Brian Peregrine
From: Brian Peregrine @ 2019-06-08  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: musl

Hey Alex, awilfox,

I looked at https://distfiles.adelielinux.org/adelie/1.0-beta3/user/pmmx/
but those are apk packages. I actually want something that avoids
users needing to compile non-standard programs themselves and have
these technical (compiling) skills to begin with.

I'm not familiar with apk packages; can these simply be unzipped (ie
with xarchiver) and can the unzipped files then run directly in gentoo
(same as with a binary) ? If so, then it would be suitable
(installation with APK Tools wouldn't be suitable as we have ). I
don't care too much with these on whether it's for i586 and not i686
as long as it runs and people can download the file quickly and run
without too much fuss (the extraction step doesn't add that much time
compared to compiling it, ...), mainly as it's just a 2nd browser that
would not be used often, except in special cases.

For TAZ, VCT Labs compiles the standard gentoo packages and makes sure
it runs under musl, in TAZ. So technically, there's not reason why we
can't do this for firefox, and simply include that program (firefox)
in our distro. Why haven't we done, you might ask. Reason is that we
already have a browser (Palemoon) and this has been made to run under
musl. However, for only certain websites (github for instance) it
doesn't work, even when using (recent firefox or chrome user agent
strings). I don't want to add another browser in our distro since that
would be (most of the time) redundant and I want TAZ users to use
Palemoon (as that focuses on security and simplicity more).

We also have git-scm but that doesn't allow to do all functions github
has (for instance, changing the profile photo, modifying git issues,
...) and I think that it's also annoying to need to use git-scm when
you need to change just a few lines on your repo (which in the
browser, would take far less time to do then with git-scm).