* Text editors
@ 2023-03-26  8:22 Alexandre Christe via ntg-context
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Alexandre Christe via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt users,

I'm wondering what kind of typesetting system / syntax highlighting /
completion you're using.

I've been using myself the simple_Context package for SublimeText which I
scavenged a while ago before it was made unavailable (I wanted to attach
but it's too big for the list). But it's sort of a dead-end.

Open to anything from vim/neovim to emacs or more exotic. Maybe it would be
nice to show the config. (And yes I've seen the Wiki page
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors but I've the feeling some
content is outdated.)

Thanks in advance,
Alex

* Re: Text editors
@ 2023-03-26  8:39 ` jbf via ntg-context
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Christe via ntg-context; +Cc: jbf

Every user has his or her own preferred test editor. Over years I have
used Emacs for just about everything except the kitchen sink, but not,
as it happens, for ConTeXt.

For what it's worth here is what I use:

(1) TeXworks. All one has to do is indicate the correct path to ConText
in the setup for this program, depending on your OS and where you have
installed it, e.g. home/yourname/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin if
you are using Linux and have installed it in \bin. Then choose ConTeXt
(LuaTeX) as the processing tool.

(2) But to make things a lot easier, I also use Federico's text expander
Espanso
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=espanso+site:espanso.org&t=lm&atb=v353-1>https://espanso.org
<https://espanso.org/>. This just saves so much time, especially for so
many \start...\stop sequences.  For example, in espanso I might have:

# blockquote
   - trigger: ":bq"
     replace: |
               \startblockquote
               $|$
               \stopblockquote

And this means all I have to do is type :bq and as you can sense from
the example above, I have the \start and \stop and intervening space all
ready to work with.
Hope it helps!
Julian

On 26/3/23 19:22, Alexandre Christe via ntg-context wrote:
> Dear ConTeXt users,
>
> I'm wondering what kind of typesetting system / syntax highlighting /
> completion you're using.
>
> I've been using myself the simple_Context package for SublimeText
> which I scavenged a while ago before it was made unavailable (I wanted
> to attach but it's too big for the list). But it's sort of a dead-end.
>
> Open to anything from vim/neovim to emacs or more exotic. Maybe it
> would be nice to show the config. (And yes I've seen the Wiki page
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editorsbut I've the feeling some
> content is outdated.)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alex

* Re: Text editors
@ 2023-03-26 11:00 ` Nicola via ntg-context
From: Nicola via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Nicola

On 2023-03-26, Alexandre Christe via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
> Dear ConTeXt users,
>
> I'm wondering what kind of typesetting system / syntax highlighting /
> completion you're using.
> [...]
> Open to anything from vim/neovim to emacs or more exotic. Maybe it would be
> nice to show the config. (And yes I've seen the Wiki page
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors but I've the feeling some
> content is outdated.)

Vim offers good support for ConTeXt and MetaPost out of the box (I
maintain those filetypes). The Vim page in ConTeXt Garden is up
to date, afaict, but of course it is always better to check Vim's help
file for the most up-to-date information (`:help ft-context`).

Syntax highlighting is based on files generated by mtxrun: the help file
explains how to regenerating them if necessary, so you may stay in sync
with your ConTeXt installation.

Completion is kind of an orthogonal matter: there are quite a lot of
plugins for Vim if the built-in methods do not satisfy you. Again, the
wiki page has some suggestions (those may be a bit outdated, as new
completion plugins pop up all the time). Fwiw, I use MUcomplete.

Hope this helps!
Nicola

* Re: Text editors
@ 2023-03-26 11:20 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Christe via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 26.03.23 um 10:22 schrieb Alexandre Christe via ntg-context:
> I'm wondering what kind of typesetting system / syntax highlighting /
> completion you're using.

Active development happens for Visual Studio Code; I use VSCodium
besides Atom.

Usable support for ConTeXt in Atom is available at
https://codeberg.org/fiee/language-context
It’s a bit unkempt, since I stopped working on it when Atom was
discontinued. I didn’t try the fork Pulsar yet (https://pulsar-edit.dev).
Atom’s git client is better than VSC’s, and I like its search bar better.

Also there’s COW: https://context-on-web.eu

Hraban

* Re: Text editors
@ 2023-03-28 13:43   ` Alain Delmotte via ntg-context
From: Alain Delmotte via ntg-context @ 2023-03-28 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbf via ntg-context; +Cc: Alain Delmotte

Hi!

Le 26/03/2023 à 10:39, jbf via ntg-context a écrit :

> Every user has his or her own preferred test editor. Over
> years I have used Emacs for just about everything except
> the kitchen sink, but not, as it happens, for ConTeXt.
>
> For what it's worth here is what I use:
>
> (1) TeXworks. All one has to do is indicate the correct
> path to ConText in the setup for this program, depending
> on your OS and where you have installed it, e.g.
> home/yourname/bin/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin if you
> are using Linux and have installed it in \bin. Then choose
> ConTeXt (LuaTeX) as the processing tool.
>
> (2) But to make things a lot easier, I also use Federico's
> text expander Espanso
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=espanso+site:espanso.org&t=lm&atb=v353-1>https://espanso.org
> <https://espanso.org/>. This just saves so much time,
> especially for so many \start...\stop sequences.  For
> example, in espanso I might have:

You can do the same inside TeXworks. There are completion
files in the folder
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\TUG\TeXworks\completion.

It is not yet completed for Context, but it should not be
difficult to do that.

But thanks Julian, this is an interesting information

Alain

> Julian
>
> On 26/3/23 19:22, Alexandre Christe via ntg-context wrote:
>> Dear ConTeXt users,
>>
>> I'm wondering what kind of typesetting system / syntax
>> highlighting / completion you're using.
>>
>> I've been using myself the simple_Context package for
>> SublimeText which I scavenged a while ago before it was
>> made unavailable (I wanted to attach but it's too big for
>> the list). But it's sort of a dead-end.
>>
>> Open to anything from vim/neovim to emacs or more exotic.
>> Maybe it would be nice to show the config. (And yes I've
>> seen the Wiki page
>> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editorsbut I've the
>> feeling some content is outdated.)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Alex

* Re: Text editors
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-03-28 18:54 ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf via ntg-context
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf via ntg-context @ 2023-03-28 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

HI!

I’ve been using emacs and played around with configuration and finally found a good and very useful setup using LMTX installation.

Also I’ve customized with help from YAsnippet my own snippets så it goes very fast.

Below I have a setup on my macos that uses

- ConTeXt LMTX
- emacs-lisp setting in ~/.emacs.d/init.el
- customized setting for preview with Skim pdf reader
- YASnippet snippets on my dropbox cloudstoring so I can use it on several computers and has a macro syntax easy to learn.
- Bind-keys for fast build and preview on two pane "side by side editor and previewer" in "TeXshop style”.
  C-å Build document and C-c C-v for fast preview in Skim

Something to start playing with below to put in your init.el file

;; This is for getting preferred position and size of the emacs editor frame
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(top . 25))
    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(left . 1))
    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 56))
    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 120))

;; For solving path issues install:  do M-x package-install RET exec-path-from-shel RETl
(when (memq window-system '(mac ns x))
  (exec-path-from-shell-initialize))

;; For configuring context
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.tex\\'" . context-mode))
    (eval-after-load 'tex '(add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
    '("LuaMetaTeX"
    "mtxrun --autogenerate --script context %t" TeX-run-command nil
    (context-mode) :help "Run LuaMetaTeX")))

(defun myctx ()
"Saves the current buffer and runs ConTeXt, all with no prompts or further interaction."
  (interactive)
  (save-buffer)
  (TeX-command "LuaMetaTeX" 'TeX-master-file -1))
 ;; (add-hook 'ConTeXt-mode-hook 'turn-on-smartparens-strict-mode)
(add-hook 'ConTeXt-mode-hook (lambda () (define-key ConTeXt-mode-map (kbd "C-å") 'myctx)))

(setq TeX-output-view-style '("^pdf$" "." "open -a Skim.app %o"))

(setq TeX-view-program-list
      '(("Skim" "open -a Skim.app %o")
        ))

(add-hook 'ConTeXt-mode-hook (lambda () (setq TeX-view-program-selection '((output-pdf "Skim")))))

;; YASnippet config

(use-package yasnippet
      :config
      (setq yas-snippet-dirs '("~/Dropbox/filer/system/emacsgrejer/snippets"))
      (yas-global-mode 1)
      (setq yas/triggers-in-field t))

Hope this helps and gives some inspiration to get started if you choose emacs

/Jan-Erik

> 26 mars 2023 kl. 10:22 skrev Alexandre Christe via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>:
>
> Dear ConTeXt users,
>
> I'm wondering what kind of typesetting system / syntax highlighting / completion you're using.
>
> I've been using myself the simple_Context package for SublimeText which I scavenged a while ago before it was made unavailable (I wanted to attach but it's too big for the list). But it's sort of a dead-end.
>
> Open to anything from vim/neovim to emacs or more exotic. Maybe it would be nice to show the config. (And yes I've seen the Wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors but I've the feeling some content is outdated.)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alex

* Re: Text editors
@ 2016-10-28 22:14       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-10-28 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/28/2016 9:28 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> I used to be very proficient at writing in machine code and reading punch tape output, too...

I sometimes wonder how I could write those self adapting programs in 256
bytes on those 8 bit dev boards, programs that actually did something
... (no typesetting). No punchtapes but just 0/1 related sounds piped
into a cassette deck. (Interesting what solutions one comes up with in
internet-less times.)

> Alan
>
>> On 25 Oct 2016, at 10:19, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> cat > file.tex
>>
>> Mandatory xkcd at this point: https://www.xkcd.com/378/

* Re: Text editors
@ 2016-10-28 19:28     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2016-10-28 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-10-27 17:03         ` culleton-p-md
From: culleton-p-md @ 2016-10-27 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try Vim/Gvim family. I use thsoe for everything.

John Culleton
john@wexfordpress.com

From: Nicola @ 2016-10-25 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2016-10-25 20:11     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2016-10-25 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

thank you for your contributions and sorry for deleting TextMate.

Am 2016-10-25 um 18:19 schrieb Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com>:

> - jEdit (http://www.jedit.org), good for TeX and LilyPond;

On OSX, jEdit is no fun.
LilyPondTool for jEdit is deprecated (if it still works at all, it didn’t for me years ago).
For LilyPond there’s nothing better than Frescobaldi (except Emacs, vi and ed, of course).

> - TextWrangler (shameless plug: I wrote decent syntax support for MetaPost/MetaFun);

I’m still using that, too (but switching). Where can we find your support files?

> - Atom (https://atom.io): I have not used it much, but it has lots of plugins, so chances are that there is some good TeX stuff.

After a short test I like it very much.

Back in the early days of OSX I loved AlphaX (written in Tcl); I just checked: the project is still/again active (http://alphacocoa.sourceforge.net).

There are really a lot of tiny details that makes an editor "favourite" or not. For me, it’s often the key bindings (they need to work with a German keyboard layout, TextWrangler fails at that) and behaviour like:
- mark some lines, press Tab or Shift-Tab to indent/outdent (not: replace text with tab)
- mark some text, type brace/bracket/quote to surround, not replace, the text
- mark text, click-and-move to move (not copy), alt-click to copy
- mouse movement/scrolling must never change the file/buffer (problem of many tab widgets)
- just the right visibility of space characters (some editors highlight them too much)

Good search-and-replace (with regexes) is essential; TextWrangler is quite usable in that regard, but it shouldn’t use an extra window. I loved Smultron’s search bar.

I like TextWrangler’s list of open files as a side bar better than "tabs".

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: Text editors
@ 2016-10-25 16:19   ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2016-10-25 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

 > Hi,
 >
 > You forgot my favorite editor:
 >
 > cat > file.tex

Mandatory xkcd at this point: https://www.xkcd.com/378/

 > More seriously

I mostly use Vim. I don't know of other ConTeXt-aware editors apart from
those already in the list, but in the other section I would include:

@ 2016-10-25 16:07   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-10-25 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 October 2016 at 10:17, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> On 24 Oct 2016, at 13:41, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just edited http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors,
>> reordered, updated, killed some discontinued programs etc.
>>
>> I didn’t delete wiki pages of outdated apps, though.
>
> I use textmate, and so does Mojca, I think. I also do not think it
> is outdated, but the link to Patricks bundle was. It is available from
> here: http://dl.contextgarden.net/support/textmate/context-tmbundle.dmg

I added it back. It's one of the best editors around, even if not a
TeX-centric one.

A better link to the bundle might be
    https://github.com/pgundlach/context.tmbundle/

It's old, but it still works. At some point it might make sense to
update it with the latest list of commands that Wolfgang assembled.

Mojca

* Re: Text editors
@ 2016-10-25 15:18   ` Mica Semrick
From: Mica Semrick @ 2016-10-25 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm also using emacs with auctex, currently using reftex, but will have a look at ebib.

-m

On October 24, 2016 5:14:02 AM PDT, Michael Eidenbenz <eidenbenz@arch.ethz.ch> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I use emacs with the spacemacs distribution.
>To manage my bibliographies (and also images) I use ebib
>(http://joostkremers.github.io/ebib/
><http://joostkremers.github.io/ebib/>) instead of reftex.
>
>Regards, Michael
>
>> On 24 Oct 2016, at 13:41, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just edited http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors,
>> reordered, updated, killed some discontinued programs etc.
>>
>> I didn’t delete wiki pages of outdated apps, though.
>>
>> There’s still a lot of room for enhancement, e.g. the feature columns
>make no sense this way.
>>
>> I’d like to know:
>> - What editor(s) do you use for ConTeXt?
>> - Are there any other editors with ConTeXt (not only LaTeX) support?
>>
>> How about including the vim support files in the distribution (like
>the SciTE support files)?
>>
>> I recently discovered Textadept, a relative of SciTe’s, also
>available for OSX - did anyone try to adapt SciTE ConTeXt support for
>that?
>>

>> Greetlings, Hraban
>> ---
>> http://www.fiee.net
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
>> https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)
>> GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

>> webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
>> archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
>> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
>>
>___________________________________________________________________________________

* Re: Text editors
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-25 14:57 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2016-10-25 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

You forgot my favorite editor:

cat > file.tex

;-)

More seriously, the SciTe syntax highlighting depends on a lpeg DLL that presently is only available on Windows - unless someone has succeeded in compiling the shared library on another system.

Alan

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 05:41, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I just edited http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors,
> reordered, updated, killed some discontinued programs etc.
>
> I didn’t delete wiki pages of outdated apps, though.
>
> There’s still a lot of room for enhancement, e.g. the feature columns make no sense this way.
>
> I’d like to know:
> - What editor(s) do you use for ConTeXt?
> - Are there any other editors with ConTeXt (not only LaTeX) support?
>
> How about including the vim support files in the distribution (like the SciTE support files)?
>
> I recently discovered Textadept, a relative of SciTe’s, also available for OSX - did anyone try to adapt SciTE ConTeXt support for that?
>

> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)
> GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: Text editors
@ 2016-10-25  8:17 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2016-10-25  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 24 Oct 2016, at 13:41, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I just edited http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors,
> reordered, updated, killed some discontinued programs etc.
>
> I didn’t delete wiki pages of outdated apps, though.

I use textmate, and so does Mojca, I think. I also do not think it
is outdated, but the link to Patricks bundle was. It is available from
here: http://dl.contextgarden.net/support/textmate/context-tmbundle.dmg

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Text editors
@ 2016-10-24 13:18 ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2016-10-24 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 24/10/2016 13:41, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> How about including the vim support files in the distribution (like the SciTE support files)?

Updated scripts for ConTeXt have just been included in Vim:

https://github.com/vim/vim/commit/46fceaaa8d1447a9588736d86eb4908214187b08

so there is no need to include anything in the ConTeXt distribution.

I plan to update the Vim wiki page on ConTeXt Garden when I have some
time: I will post here when I have done it.

Nicola

* Re: Text editors
@ 2016-10-24 12:14 ` Michael Eidenbenz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Eidenbenz @ 2016-10-24 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use emacs with the spacemacs distribution.
To manage my bibliographies (and also images) I use ebib (http://joostkremers.github.io/ebib/ <http://joostkremers.github.io/ebib/>) instead of reftex.

Regards, Michael

> On 24 Oct 2016, at 13:41, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I just edited http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors,
> reordered, updated, killed some discontinued programs etc.
>
> I didn’t delete wiki pages of outdated apps, though.
>
> There’s still a lot of room for enhancement, e.g. the feature columns make no sense this way.
>
> I’d like to know:
> - What editor(s) do you use for ConTeXt?
> - Are there any other editors with ConTeXt (not only LaTeX) support?
>
> How about including the vim support files in the distribution (like the SciTE support files)?
>
> I recently discovered Textadept, a relative of SciTe’s, also available for OSX - did anyone try to adapt SciTE ConTeXt support for that?
>

> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net