* Space after Round bracket before Punctuation
@ 2020-07-09  9:59 Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica
From: Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica @ 2020-07-09  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm typesetting some proceedings which include a good number of round
brackets followed by punctuation. This often occurs in the body of the
text, but also in the hand coded bibliographies, e.g.:

) plus . , ; :

The trouble is that excessive space is often introduced between the
bracket and the punctuation. I can control the excessive space that
sometimes occurs between ) and . by using )\periods[1], although this
ruins the protrusion if it occurs at the end of a line.

Does anyone know how I might be able to somehow "tie" ) to . , ; : so
that the distance remains reasonable, and so that protrusion still
works?

Best, Richard

--
Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica
Littledene Bay Road Oxford NZT: +64 3 312 1699 M: +64 210 640 216IM: @rmahoney https://t.me/rmahoneyrmahoney@indica-et-buddhica.org

* Re: Space after Round bracket before Punctuation
@ 2020-07-09 10:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-07-09 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/9/2020 11:59 AM, Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica wrote:
> I'm typesetting some proceedings which include a good number of round
> brackets followed by punctuation. This often occurs in the body of the
> text, but also in the hand coded bibliographies, e.g.:
>
> ) plus . , ; :
>
> The trouble is that excessive space is often introduced between the
> bracket and the punctuation. I can control the excessive space that
> sometimes occurs between ) and . by using )\periods[1], although this
> ruins the protrusion if it occurs at the end of a line.
>
> Does anyone know how I might be able to somehow "tie" ) to . , ; : so
> that the distance remains reasonable, and so that protrusion still
> works?
you first have to make an MWE that demonstrates how protrusion works
here ... then we can see how we can best deal with it

Anyway, often tricks for this can be found in the test suite of font
manual(s) ... here is a variant ...

\startluacode
     fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
         name     = "mykerns",
         type     = "kern",
         data     = {
             [")"] = {
                 [","] = -300,
                 ["."] = -300,
                 [":"] = -250,
                 [";"] = -250,
                 [")"] = -100,
             },
         },
     }
\stopluacode

\definefontfeature[default][default][mykerns=true]

\setupbodyfont [dejavu,12pt]

\startTEXpage[offset=10pt]
     whatever),
     whatever):
     whatever);
     whatever).
     whatever))
\stopTEXpage

Hans

* Re: Space after Round bracket before Punctuation
@ 2020-07-10  0:09   ` Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica
From: Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica @ 2020-07-10  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Hans, this was very helpful. I found that the following
worked (apart from in two or three cases):

\startluacode
     fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
         name     = "iebpkerns",
         type     = "kern",
         data     = {
             [")"] = {
                 [","] = -80,
                 ["."] = -80,
                 [":"] = -80,
                 [";"] = -80,
                 [")"] = -80,
                 ["]"] = -80,
             },
             ["]"] = {
                 [","] = -80,
                 ["."] = -80,
                 [":"] = -80,
                 [";"] = -80,
                 [")"] = -80,
                 ["]"] = -80,
             },
         },
     }
\stopluacode

Best, Richard

Mailer: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0)
Gecko/20100101
 Thunderbird/68.10.0

On 7/9/2020 11:59 AM, Richard Mahoney | Indica et Buddhica wrote:
> I'm typesetting some proceedings which include a good number of
> roundbrackets followed by punctuation. This often occurs in the body
> of thetext, but also in the hand coded bibliographies, e.g.:
> ) plus . , ; :
> The trouble is that excessive space is often introduced between
> thebracket and the punctuation. I can control the excessive space
> thatsometimes occurs between ) and . by using )\periods[1], although
> thisruins the protrusion if it occurs at the end of a line.
> Does anyone know how I might be able to somehow "tie" ) to . , ; :
> sothat the distance remains reasonable, and so that protrusion
> stillworks?
you first have to make an MWE that demonstrates how protrusion works
here ... then we can see how we can best deal with it
Anyway, often tricks for this can be found in the test suite of font
manual(s) ... here is a variant ...
\startluacode     fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {         name     =
"mykerns",         type     = "kern",         data     =
{             [")"] = {                 [","] =
-300,                 ["."] = -300,                 [":"] =
-250,                 [";"] = -250,                 [")"] =
-100,             },         },     }\stopluacode
\definefontfeature[default][default][mykerns=true]
\setupbodyfont [dejavu,12pt]
\startTEXpage[offset=10pt]     whatever),     whatever):     whatever)
;     whatever).     whatever))\stopTEXpage
Hans
--                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA
ADE               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The
Netherlands        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl |
www.pragma-pod.nl