* [NTG-context] Re: can we do binding correction?
@ 2024-03-20  5:07 Andres Conrado Montoya
From: Andres Conrado Montoya @ 2024-03-20  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is some mention of a mechanism to get binding correction from an old
article in the wiki about emulating the Koma TypeArea from LaTeX, you can
see it in https://wiki.contextgarden.net/KOMA-scrartcl_Type_Area

There is also some discussion about the subject in SE:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/38682/rules-of-thumb-for-size-of-binding-correction-bcor
However, that discussion is 12 years old and the links referenced as
sources are dead now.

I have found with experience that a formula to calculate the binding
correction for a saddle stitch binding, not more than 4 pages in a
signature (only one fold in the middle) usually is 1/2 the circumference of
a circle with radius *r*, being *r* the thickness of the paper times the
amount of physical signatures. Something like: \frac{π \times t \times
s}{2}. I have not tried a formula for more folds in a signature.

The thing is, you have to recalculate for each signature fold. The
innermost will have displacement zero, the second one a little bit more,
the third a little bit more, and on and on until we reach the outermost
signature.

However, it is necessary to say that unless you are using a
particularly thick paper, or you are using too many pages for a saddle
stitch bind (my personal and professional opinion would be no more than 80,
but better 60), the displacement is usually negligible.

For example, let's say the paper thickness is 0.1 mm (which is 0.0001
meters) and there are 40 pages in 10 signatures. The radius would be 0.0001
meters per signature * 10 signatures = 0.001 meters. Then, half the
circumference would be 1/2 * 3.14159 * 0.001 meters ≈  0.0016 meters or
1.6mm at the last signature. Unless there was a displacement of more than,
say, 4 mm, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

--
Andrés Conrado Montoya
Andi Kú

“You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an
intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do
something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look
so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag
him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a
bitch.’” — Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: can we do binding correction?
@ 2024-03-20  8:50 ` Hraban Ramm
From: Hraban Ramm @ 2024-03-20  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Andrés, thank you!

Am 20.03.24 um 06:07 schrieb Andres Conrado Montoya:
> I have found with experience that a formula to calculate the binding
> correction for a saddle stitch binding, not more than 4 pages in a
> signature (only one fold in the middle) usually is 1/2 the
> circumference of a circle with radius /r/, being /r/ the thickness of
> the paper times the amount of physical signatures. Something like:
> \frac{π \times t \times s}{2}. I have not tried a formula for more
> folds in a signature.
>
> The thing is, you have to recalculate for each signature fold. The
> innermost will have displacement zero, the second one a little bit
> more, the third a little bit more, and on and on until we reach the
> outermost signature.
>
> However, it is necessary to say that unless you are using a
> particularly thick paper, or you are using too many pages for a saddle
> stitch bind (my personal and professional opinion would be no more
> than 80, but better 60), the displacement is usually negligible.
>
> For example, let's say the paper thickness is 0.1 mm (which is 0.0001
> meters) and there are 40 pages in 10 signatures. The radius would be
> 0.0001 meters per signature * 10 signatures = 0.001 meters. Then, half
> the circumference would be 1/2 * 3.14159 * 0.001 meters ≈  0.0016
> meters or 1.6mm at the last signature. Unless there was a displacement
> of more than, say, 4 mm, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

E.g. our Bonn architectural guides
(https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de/reihen/afb/) are saddle-stitched
booklets, usually have 60 pages and are printed on 115g coated paper.
With coated paper you can’t really derivate the thickness from grammage.
The horizontal page shift is visible if you look carefully. But since
the paper is not very transparent, you only see the problem if you look
for it. I don’t arrange the pages myself, don’t know the signature size,
and I can’t request specials, since we must print cheaply to keep the
low price (had to raise it from 5 to 8 € anyway, half of it goes to the
wholesaler).

Hraban

@ 2024-03-20  6:56           ` Hraban Ramm
From: Hraban Ramm @ 2024-03-20  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 19.03.24 um 23:42 schrieb Willi Egger:
>> Generally I know for what binding correction is used, I just never tried to set it up. If I look carefully at one of our printed booklets, the printshop also didn’t. So I'd need pageshift without applying imposition (setting it up wouldn’t hurt).
> I organise this always with correction to the backspace.
For every single page?

>> Theoretically the shift value should be the same as the paper thickness (don’t you think?), but there’s some deformation involved, so a factor might make sense?
> I think that this would be quite cumbersome, paper thickness of higly coated papers vs. novel-printing paper… I believe one would have to establish this thickness for each project unless the same paper is used...

No, I meant, I'd use the actual paper thickness as a parameter, so that
paper shift could be calculated automatically with a geometrical factor
according to the imposition schema. Don't you think that makes more
sense than setting it for single pages?

But while this is an interesting topic, it's one of these overly
involved niche features in ConTeXt… I didn't care too much myself, and
laypeople don't see it anyway.

>> Unfortunately I threw out my old books on printing technology long ago, and my newer one doesn’t cover bookbinding (I’m not at home anyway).
> I think, that many printshops do not possess neither old books including bookbinding nor do they care about the wishes of the binder … Pity, that you threw them out, but i understand, that circumstances might be such that you have to take decisions…

When we left Switzerland in 2012 for Freiburg (and then again Freiburg
in 2013 for Kyrgyzstan), we had to drop ballast, and I still had too
many books (if you can have too many books at all…). I had a lot on art
techniques like calligraphy that I never used, and my printing
technology stuff was outdated – well… The antiquarian gave me 30€ for a
big pile of formerly expensive books, and he probably was generous.

Since then I gained a publishing house and had to move three times, my
moving helpers were not amused about that many book boxes. (The last
move was into the 3rd story, or is this 4th?, of an old house with very
high stories; if visitors arrive panting at my door, I tell them they
can sign the summit register now…)

Hraban

@ 2024-03-19 22:42         ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2024-03-19 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hraban,

> On 19 Mar 2024, at 21:56, Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>
> Thank you Willi!
>
> Generally I know for what binding correction is used, I just never tried to set it up. If I look carefully at one of our printed booklets, the printshop also didn’t. So I'd need pageshift without applying imposition (setting it up wouldn’t hurt).

I organise this always with correction to the backspace.

> I didn’t think about vertical pageshift, but of course that’s also needed for cross-folded sheets.
>
> I'm not sure how (horizontal) pageshift is supposed to work with full page images without introducing white borders, but bleed at the inner edge should be enough.
>
> Theoretically the shift value should be the same as the paper thickness (don’t you think?), but there’s some deformation involved, so a factor might make sense?

I think that this would be quite cumbersome, paper thickness of higly coated papers vs. novel-printing paper… I believe one would have to establish this thickness for each project unless the same paper is used...

> Unfortunately I threw out my old books on printing technology long ago, and my newer one doesn’t cover bookbinding (I’m not at home anyway).

I think, that many printshops do not possess neither old books including bookbinding nor do they care about the wishes of the binder … Pity, that you threw them out, but i understand, that circumstances might be such that you have to take decisions…

Willi

@ 2024-03-19 20:56       ` Hraban Ramm
From: Hraban Ramm @ 2024-03-19 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you Willi!

@ 2024-03-19 16:01     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2024-03-19 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2024-03-18 16:35   ` Hraban Ramm
From: Hraban Ramm @ 2024-03-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2024-03-17 22:54 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2024-03-17 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hraban Ramm schrieb am 17.03.2024 um 22:48:
> Hi, this question was rised in my ConTeXt beginners workshop* at
> Chemnitz Linux Days today:
>
> Can I configure binding correction for saddle-stitched or thread-bound
> booklets, and if, does it only work with arranging (imposition) or can
> I enable it somehow for the layout (if the printshop does the
> imposition)?

1. \definepageshift + \setuppageshift

2. \setuplayout[horoffset=<DIMENSION>]

> Also I recognized I'm not sure about the difference of the layout
> parameters backspace and cutspace.

backspace is the inner margin and cutspace the outer

Wolfgang

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl