* LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-03 17:17 Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-03 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

I use LuaMetaTeX 2.10 20220918 + ConTeXt LMTX 2022.09.11.

Here's a tiny test document, I disabled PDF compression but it also
doesn't work with the default settings.

\setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
\starttext
Just a line of text.
\stoptext

When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.

The PDFs render fine on every PDF reader I could find.

Conversion to PostScript with pstopdf (poppler-22.07.0) and then
sending the PS renders the document correctly on the printer.

PDFs generated directly from Context MKIV from TeXLive 2022 using
LuaTeX 1.5 render fine on these printers.
I've also printed PDFs from pdfTeX in the past fine.

I attached the non-working 'foo.pdf.mkix'
and the working 'foo.pdf.mkiv' file.

I tried to disable font subsetting to debug this further, but I
couldn't figure out how to do it.

Any ideas what I should try to help debug this?

[-- Attachment #2: foo.pdf.mkxl --]

[-- Attachment #3: foo.pdf.mkiv --]

cu,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah@vuxu.org>  https://leahneukirchen.org/

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-03 18:57 ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-03 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I use LuaMetaTeX 2.10 20220918 + ConTeXt LMTX 2022.09.11.
>
> Here's a tiny test document, I disabled PDF compression but it also
> doesn't work with the default settings.
>
> \setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
> \starttext
> Just a line of text.
> \stoptext
>
> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.
>
> The PDFs render fine on every PDF reader I could find.

On Acrobat DC on macOS, there is a visible difference between the two files:

[-- Attachment #2: foo.mkxl.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 10089 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: foo.mkiv.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 9734 bytes --]

Note that the 'a' and 'l' look quite different.

But I couldn't reproduce it with MuPDF for example.

--

@ 2022-10-03 21:57 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-03 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/3/2022 7:17 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use LuaMetaTeX 2.10 20220918 + ConTeXt LMTX 2022.09.11.
>
> Here's a tiny test document, I disabled PDF compression but it also
> doesn't work with the default settings.
>
> \setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
> \starttext
> Just a line of text.
> \stoptext
>
> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.
>
> The PDFs render fine on every PDF reader I could find.
>
> Conversion to PostScript with pstopdf (poppler-22.07.0) and then
> sending the PS renders the document correctly on the printer.
>
> PDFs generated directly from Context MKIV from TeXLive 2022 using
> LuaTeX 1.5 render fine on these printers.
> I've also printed PDFs from pdfTeX in the past fine.
>
> I attached the non-working 'foo.pdf.mkix'
> and the working 'foo.pdf.mkiv' file.
>
> I tried to disable font subsetting to debug this further, but I
> couldn't figure out how to do it.

subsetting should not be a problem and both files are subsetted  (lmxt a
bit different but not fundamentally)

> Any ideas what I should try to help debug this?
i'm clueless ...

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-03 22:34   ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-03 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> On 10/3/2022 7:17 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I use LuaMetaTeX 2.10 20220918 + ConTeXt LMTX 2022.09.11.
>> Here's a tiny test document, I disabled PDF compression but it also
>> doesn't work with the default settings.
>> \setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
>> \starttext
>> Just a line of text.
>> \stoptext
>> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the
>> printer)
>> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.
>> The PDFs render fine on every PDF reader I could find.
>> Conversion to PostScript with pstopdf (poppler-22.07.0) and then
>> sending the PS renders the document correctly on the printer.
>> PDFs generated directly from Context MKIV from TeXLive 2022 using
>> LuaTeX 1.5 render fine on these printers.
>> I've also printed PDFs from pdfTeX in the past fine.
>> I attached the non-working 'foo.pdf.mkix'
>> and the working 'foo.pdf.mkiv' file.
>> I tried to disable font subsetting to debug this further, but I
>> couldn't figure out how to do it.
>
> subsetting should not be a problem and both files are subsetted  (lmxt
> a bit different but not fundamentally)

Well the idea was to have the same font stream in both files, so we
exclude that from the reasons it breaks.

Curiously, when I use Deja Vu:
\setupbodyfont[dejavu]

Then I get a
VHOYGZ+DejaVuSansMono                CID TrueType      Identity-H
   yes yes yes      8  0

and the PDF prints fine!  So it must be related to how Type 0C fonts
are written out, I think.

--

@ 2022-10-04  2:16 ` Angel M Alganza via ntg-context
From: Angel M Alganza via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 07:17:10PM +0200, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:

>When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
>on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.

I believe that is the exact same problem I have and that I described a
few days ago in my email with subject "Missing letters and numbers in
printout".  I have some grids on my document, which gets printed out,
but nothing else does.

>The PDFs render fine on every PDF reader I could find.

Same here.

>PDFs generated directly from Context MKIV from TeXLive 2022 using
>LuaTeX 1.5 render fine on these printers.
>I've also printed PDFs from pdfTeX in the past fine.

Same here.

>Any ideas what I should try to help debug this?

I was told that this is the default now, that isn't going to change, and
that I could always use LuaTeX instead.  I could also use LaTeX, I
guess, but I'd rather keep using ConTeXt at least while my old 32 bits
OpenBSD installation works.

Cheers,
Ángel

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04  7:33   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel M Alganza via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/4/2022 4:16 AM, Angel M Alganza via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 07:17:10PM +0200, Leah Neukirchen via
> ntg-context wrote:
>
>> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
>> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.
>
> I believe that is the exact same problem I have and that I described a
> few days ago in my email with subject "Missing letters and numbers in
> printout".  I have some grids on my document, which gets printed out,
> but nothing else does.
>
>> The PDFs render fine on every PDF reader I could find.
>
> Same here.
>
>> PDFs generated directly from Context MKIV from TeXLive 2022 using
>> LuaTeX 1.5 render fine on these printers.
>> I've also printed PDFs from pdfTeX in the past fine.
>
> Same here.
>
>> Any ideas what I should try to help debug this?
>
> I was told that this is the default now, that isn't going to change, and
> that I could always use LuaTeX instead.  I could also use LaTeX, I
> guess, but I'd rather keep using ConTeXt at least while my old 32 bits
> OpenBSD installation works.
what happens if you include the lmtx pdf in a mkiv document as image

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 10:53     ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> On 10/4/2022 4:16 AM, Angel M Alganza via ntg-context wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 07:17:10PM +0200, Leah Neukirchen via
>> ntg-context wrote:
>>
>>> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
>>> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.
>> I believe that is the exact same problem I have and that I described
>> few days ago in my email with subject "Missing letters and numbers in
>> printout".  I have some grids on my document, which gets printed out,
>> but nothing else does.

Another data point: Brother B205 doesn't print it either.
But would all of these use the same licensed PDF renderer...

>>> The PDFs render fine on every PDF reader I could find.
>> Same here.
>>
>>> PDFs generated directly from Context MKIV from TeXLive 2022 using
>>> LuaTeX 1.5 render fine on these printers.
>>> I've also printed PDFs from pdfTeX in the past fine.
>> Same here.
>>
>>> Any ideas what I should try to help debug this?
>> I was told that this is the default now, that isn't going to change,
>> and
>> that I could always use LuaTeX instead.  I could also use LaTeX, I
>> guess, but I'd rather keep using ConTeXt at least while my old 32 bits
>> OpenBSD installation works.
> what happens if you include the lmtx pdf in a mkiv document as image

On above Brother B205, this document:

\starttext
\externalfigure[foo.mkxl.pdf]
\stoptext

only prints the page number of the outer document, which is kept in a
seperate font:

NREXLC+LMRoman12-Regular             CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes      5  0
CLLXEY+LMRoman12-Regular             CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes      8  0

I tried converting the pdf with pdfjam (which uses pdfTeX internally)
before, which probably uses similar mechanisms, and it didn't work
either.

--

@ 2022-10-04 11:54       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/4/2022 12:53 PM, Leah Neukirchen wrote:
> Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:
>
>> On 10/4/2022 4:16 AM, Angel M Alganza via ntg-context wrote:

>>> I believe that is the exact same problem I have and that I described
>>> few days ago in my email with subject "Missing letters and numbers in
>>> printout".  I have some grids on my document, which gets printed out,
>>> but nothing else does.
>
> Another data point: Brother B205 doesn't print it either.
> But would all of these use the same licensed PDF renderer...

>>> Same here.

>>> Same here.

>>> I was told that this is the default now, that isn't going to change,
>>> and
>>> that I could always use LuaTeX instead.  I could also use LaTeX, I
>>> guess, but I'd rather keep using ConTeXt at least while my old 32 bits
>>> OpenBSD installation works.
>> what happens if you include the lmtx pdf in a mkiv document as image
>
> On above Brother B205, this document:
>
> \starttext
> \externalfigure[foo.mkxl.pdf]
> \stoptext
>
> only prints the page number of the outer document, which is kept in a
> seperate font:
>
> NREXLC+LMRoman12-Regular             CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes      5  0
> CLLXEY+LMRoman12-Regular             CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes yes yes      8  0
>
> I tried converting the pdf with pdfjam (which uses pdfTeX internally)
> before, which probably uses similar mechanisms, and it didn't work
> either.
what is sent to the printer .. maybe not pdf but something the printer
driver produces

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 11:59       ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 04.10.22 um 12:53 schrieb Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context:
> Another data point: Brother B205 doesn't print it either.
> But would all of these use the same licensed PDF renderer...

Print the test page of all these printers. Does it say something about
the PDF/PostScript engine (RIP) and its version?
Printers that have an Adobe RIP usually have an Adobe sticker. But I’d
guess that none of the mentioned printers has one of these. That doesn’t
mean their RIP is worse.

How do you send the files “directly” to the printer? Copy to lpt queue?
In ye olden times you often used a PS downloader for such, but if it
goes via the OS, there’s some driver involved.

Hraban

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 12:35         ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> writes:

> what is sent to the printer .. maybe not pdf but something the printer
> driver produces

For the Ricoh and Samsung printers, we printed the raw PDF directly
over JetDirect (port 9100).  For the Brother, the "upload PDF"
function was used.  So no outside printer drivers involved.

If I run it through Ghostscript, that somehow fixes it:
gs -dPDF -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=print.pdf foo.pdf

But Ghostscript also seems to rewrite the font, at least in FontForge
it shows a different scale.

Are there any tools to analyze this CID font stream?

--

@ 2022-10-04 12:50           ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/4/2022 2:35 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
> Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>> what is sent to the printer .. maybe not pdf but something the printer
>> driver produces
>
> For the Ricoh and Samsung printers, we printed the raw PDF directly
> over JetDirect (port 9100).  For the Brother, the "upload PDF"
> function was used.  So no outside printer drivers involved.
>
> If I run it through Ghostscript, that somehow fixes it:
> gs -dPDF -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=print.pdf foo.pdf
normally gs complains when there is an issue

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 12:54           ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

Hi,

does (the obsolete)

\enabledirectives[backend.pdf.forcecidset]

help

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 12:59           ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/4/2022 2:35 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:

> Are there any tools to analyze this CID font stream?
You can browse the glyphs with full acrobat (but I haven't a full
acrobat installed ... I lost it when I upgraded my laptop and have no
plans to buy a new version as I don't need it).

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 13:21         ` Angel M Alganza via ntg-context
From: Angel M Alganza via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 01:59:45PM +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:

> How do you send the files “directly” to the printer? Copy to lpt queue?

In my case, as I explained in my original email, I plug in a USB drive
into the printer USB port, and I pick up the file to print from the
printer software on a touch screen.  I guess this qualifies as sendig te
file directly to the printer queue?

Cheers,
Ángel

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 15:44             ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 04.10.22 um 14:59 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
> On 10/4/2022 2:35 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> Are there any tools to analyze this CID font stream?
> You can browse the glyphs with full acrobat

You can? Not with Acrobat Pro v9 or before.

Hraban

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 15:52             ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> does (the obsolete)
>
> \enabledirectives[backend.pdf.forcecidset]
>
> help

No; same blank page. :(

(Also MKIV works without CIDSet...)

I looked into /StemV 0 (which was different in MKIV) but that works
with the TTF files, too.  Also should be ignored for Type 3 anyway.

Really out of ideas now...

--

@ 2022-10-04 16:03           ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 04.10.22 um 15:21 schrieb Angel M Alganza via ntg-context:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 01:59:45PM +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm via
> ntg-context wrote:
>
>> How do you send the files “directly” to the printer? Copy to lpt queue?
>
> In my case, as I explained in my original email, I plug in a USB drive
> into the printer USB port, and I pick up the file to print from the
> printer software on a touch screen.  I guess this qualifies as sendig te
> file directly to the printer queue?

Yes, of course. Sorry, I didn’t read your mails thoroughly since I
assumed I couldn’t help anyway.

Hans, is it possible that LMTX uses some technique that is “too modern”
for some built-in PDF interpreter?

Hraban

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 16:09             ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/4/2022 6:03 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> Am 04.10.22 um 15:21 schrieb Angel M Alganza via ntg-context:
>> On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 01:59:45PM +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm via
>> ntg-context wrote:
>>
>>> How do you send the files “directly” to the printer? Copy to lpt queue?
>>
>> In my case, as I explained in my original email, I plug in a USB drive
>> into the printer USB port, and I pick up the file to print from the
>> printer software on a touch screen.  I guess this qualifies as sendig te
>> file directly to the printer queue?
>
> Yes, of course. Sorry, I didn’t read your mails thoroughly since I
> assumed I couldn’t help anyway.
>
> Hans, is it possible that LMTX uses some technique that is “too modern”
> for some built-in PDF interpreter?
we basically use the old pre 1.6 embedding, same as luatex ... mayeb
some other object is too modern (maybe some indirect reference is not
seen or so but then one expects an error) .. I have no clue what is in
those printers (it works here)

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 16:11               ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/4/2022 5:44 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> Am 04.10.22 um 14:59 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
>> On 10/4/2022 2:35 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any tools to analyze this CID font stream?
>> You can browse the glyphs with full acrobat
>
> You can? Not with Acrobat Pro v9 or before.
it is hidden in preflight, some tiny entry in a menu "browse internal
.." or so but as adobe loves to change user interfaces with each version
i have no clue where you can find it

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 16:29               ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/4/2022 5:52 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:

> I looked into /StemV 0 (which was different in MKIV) but that works
> with the TTF files, too.  Also should be ignored for Type 3 anyway.
Does your test have type 3 fonts? Should be no problem.

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-04 17:23                 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-10-04 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 04.10.22 um 18:11 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
> it is hidden in preflight, some tiny entry in a menu "browse internal
> .." or so but as adobe loves to change user interfaces with each version
> i have no clue where you can find it

Oops, I completely forgot that was part of Callas pdfInspektor (the
plugin that Adobe bought as “Preflight” and didn’t even care to change
the user interface).

Ok, so we (I) can analyze which characters of which font are embedded.

Here are the preflight reports (only about fonts and metadata) for
Leah’s test files:
https://sedna.fiee.net/d/055c7150d6f24136b513/
Small, but still too big as attachments.
I don’t see anything suspicious.
Sorry, I can generate them only in German.

Hraban

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-05 16:02   ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-10-05 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 10/3/22 20:57, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> \setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
>> \starttext
>> Just a line of text.
>> \stoptext
>> [...]
>
> On Acrobat DC on macOS, there is a visible difference between the two files:

Hi Leah,

this issue also happens with PDF.js included in Firefox. TeX Gyre Heros
is even clearer with dubious hinting.

It has been already reported
(https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1781022).

But even with variable fonts from Adobe
(https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-code-pro/releases/latest),
Acrobat has issues with the following code:

\definefontfeature
    [book]
    [axis={weight=600}]

  \definefontfamily
    [mainface]
    [rm]
    [SourceCodeVariable]
    [features={book,none}]

  \setupbodyfont[mainface, 100pt]

  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
  AefKkQrt4
  \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

It happens both with LuaMetaTeX and LuaTeX. When playing with certain
levels of zooming, some blank spots are displayed inside the characters
(printing is fine).

BTW, as Hans explained
(https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/106840.html), the
following top line avoids your printing issue (by setting LuaTeX as the
engine, instead of LuaMetaTeX):

  % engine=luatex

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-05 21:25     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-05 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/5/2022 6:02 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:

> It happens both with LuaMetaTeX and LuaTeX. When playing with certain
> levels of zooming, some blank spots are displayed inside the characters
> (printing is fine).

Such artifacts can result from operating in the extremes and one has to
keep in mind that maybe not all variables fonts have all characters
tested for these extremes. Actually even regular fonts can have such
effects like small bumps (we saw some in math fonts) and these also show
up in font editors. But normally we don't see these at small sizes. Some
has to do with 'sloppy or difficult or challenging' designs, some with
(eo)fill side effects not much different from what mp graphics can do
with envelopes (we've written about that). I'd not loose sleep over this.
  Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-06 10:31               ` Ulrike Fischer via ntg-context
From: Ulrike Fischer via ntg-context @ 2022-10-06 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Ulrike Fischer

Am Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:09:28 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen via
ntg-context:

>> Hans, is it possible that LMTX uses some technique that is “too modern”
>> for some built-in PDF interpreter?

> we basically use the old pre 1.6 embedding, same as luatex

I saw that the new code renumbers the glyphs, so it uses 0001, 0002
etc instead of the mix of various slot numbers in luatex. Perhaps
the printers don't like that.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-06 11:23                 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-06 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrike Fischer via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/6/2022 12:31 PM, Ulrike Fischer via ntg-context wrote:
> Am Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:09:28 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen via
> ntg-context:
>
>>> Hans, is it possible that LMTX uses some technique that is “too modern”
>>> for some built-in PDF interpreter?
>
>> we basically use the old pre 1.6 embedding, same as luatex
>
> I saw that the new code renumbers the glyphs, so it uses 0001, 0002
> etc instead of the mix of various slot numbers in luatex. Perhaps
> the printers don't like that.
indeed, soem control code confusion; a few days ago i suggested a test
for that and got no response yet

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-06 12:42                   ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-06 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> On 10/6/2022 12:31 PM, Ulrike Fischer via ntg-context wrote:
>> Am Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:09:28 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen via
>> ntg-context:

>>> we basically use the old pre 1.6 embedding, same as luatex
>> I saw that the new code renumbers the glyphs, so it uses 0001, 0002
>> etc instead of the mix of various slot numbers in luatex. Perhaps
>> the printers don't like that.
> indeed, soem control code confusion; a few days ago i suggested a test
> for that and got no response yet

Sorry, I didn't have access to a printer until last night.

As I expected, starting the numbering from 31 doesn't help
either---still blank pages.  (Note that with DejaVu Sans the numbering
from 1 works fine.)

But I also found yet another printer model that doesn't print:
the HP Color LaserJet 4700 (Model Q7492A, Firmware 20060821 46.031.1).

Since you seem to own the only printer that works ;) would
you be so kind and share which model you have?

I also wondered whether bisecting the snapshot-repo would work.
But I only have one LMTX binary; this font handling should be all in
lua code tho?
--

@ 2022-10-06 14:23                     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-06 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen, ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/6/2022 2:42 PM, Leah Neukirchen wrote:

> But I also found yet another printer model that doesn't print:
> the HP Color LaserJet 4700 (Model Q7492A, Firmware 20060821 46.031.1).
>
> Since you seem to own the only printer that works ;) would
> you be so kind and share which model you have?

We have a HP ColorFlowMFP X585 full-width highspeed duplex inkjet
printer (a couple of years old, always prints ok). So far we never heard
of printing failures elsewhere.

> I also wondered whether bisecting the snapshot-repo would work.
> But I only have one LMTX binary; this font handling should be all in
> lua code tho?

It makes no sense to compare luametatex and luatex .. it's different
machinery.

Btw, some in the thread mention issues (like bad looking heros shapes)
but in your case there is no print at all, so that is different. Isn't
there some error log in these printer?

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-06 16:42                       ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-06 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> On 10/6/2022 2:42 PM, Leah Neukirchen wrote:
>
>> But I also found yet another printer model that doesn't print:
>> the HP Color LaserJet 4700 (Model Q7492A, Firmware 20060821 46.031.1).
>> Since you seem to own the only printer that works ;) would
>> you be so kind and share which model you have?
>
> We have a HP ColorFlowMFP X585 full-width highspeed duplex inkjet
> printer (a couple of years old, always prints ok). So far we never
> heard of printing failures elsewhere.
>
>> I also wondered whether bisecting the snapshot-repo would work.
>> But I only have one LMTX binary; this font handling should be all in
>> lua code tho?
>
> It makes no sense to compare luametatex and luatex .. it's different
> machinery.
>
> Btw, some in the thread mention issues (like bad looking heros shapes)
> but in your case there is no print at all, so that is different. Isn't
> there some error log in these printer?

The error log didn't contain anything useful.

I made two experiments now.

First, I modified the MKIV PDF file to use the MKXL font stream, and
changed the text primitives to use low chars.  This renders fine on
all PDF viewers I found (text is garbled, of course), but it still
doesn't print.  So now I'm fairly sure now the bug is in the font stream.

[-- Attachment #2: foo.doctored.pdf --]

I finally found a tool to analyze CID fonts at
https://github.com/janpe2/CFFDump
I noticed two things:
1) the MKIX Top DICT INDEX doesn't contain /version, but the string is
   in the SID.  Unfortunately merely adding it to topdict in
   tablewriters.cff doesn't fix the printing bug.  But I'd still
   recommend doing so.

2) The Private DICT doesn't contain /StdHW /StdVW /StemSnapH /StemSnapV.
   Also BlueScale is 0.
   This should not matter for printing(?) but it explains why
   Adobe displays it differently! The hinting information is missing.

   Note that the code would copy this data but it's missing in the
   cffinfo already.

I'll attach both CFF dumps here, perhaps someone finds other issues.

[-- Attachment #4: font-0008.mkiv.dump --]

% CFF Dump Output
% File: font-0008.cid

Header (0x00000000):
    major: 1
    minor: 0
    hdrSize: 4
    offSize: 4

Name INDEX (0x00000004):
  count: 1, offSize: 1
    [0]: (NVQBZA+LMRoman12-Regular)

Top DICT INDEX (0x00000021):
  count: 1, offSize: 1
  [0] (0x00000026):
  <<
    /ROS << /Registry (Adobe) /Ordering (Identity) /Supplement 0 >>
    /version (2.004)  % SID 392
    /Notice (Copyright 2003, 2009 B. Jackowski and J. M. Nowacki (on behalf of TeX users groups). This work is released under the GUST Font License --  see http://tug.org/fonts/licenses/GUST-FONT-LICENSE.txt for details.)  % SID 393
    /FullName (LMRoman12-Regular)  % SID 394
    /FamilyName (LMRoman12)  % SID 395
    /Weight (Normal)  % SID 396
    /UnderlinePosition -175
    /UnderlineThickness 44
    /FontBBox [-422 -280 1394 1127]
    /charset 411  % offset
    /CharStrings 448  % offset
    /CIDCount 117
    /FDArray 1921  % offset
    /FDSelect 440  % offset
    % ----- Following entries are missing, so they get default values: -----
    /isFixedPitch false  % default
    /ItalicAngle 0  % default
    /PaintType 0  % default
    /CharstringType 2  % default
    /FontMatrix [0.001 0 0 0.001 0 0]  % default
    /StrokeWidth 0  % default
    /CIDFontVersion 0  % default
    /CIDFontRevision 0  % default
    /CIDFontType 0  % default

String INDEX (0x0000006b):
  count: 8, offSize: 2
    [0](SID = 391): (NVQBZA+LMRoman12-Regular)
    [1](SID = 392): (2.004)
    [2](SID = 393): (Copyright 2003, 2009 B. Jackowski and J. M. Nowacki (on behalf of TeX users groups). This work is released under the GUST Font License --  see http://tug.org/fonts/licenses/GUST-FONT-LICENSE.txt for details.)
    [3](SID = 394): (LMRoman12-Regular)
    [4](SID = 395): (LMRoman12)
    [5](SID = 396): (Normal)
    [6](SID = 397): (Adobe)
    [7](SID = 398): (Identity)

Global Subr INDEX (0x00000199):
  count: 0
  <No global subroutines>

Charset (0x0000019b):
  (format 0; [GID] = <CID>):
  ([0] = CID 0),
  [1]  = CID 28,  [2]  = CID 50,  [3]  = CID 55,  [4]  = CID 66,
  [5]  = CID 67,  [6]  = CID 72,  [7]  = CID 77,  [8]  = CID 81,
  [9]  = CID 82,  [10] = CID 88,  [11] = CID 98,  [12] = CID 105,
  [13] = CID 109, [14] = CID 116,

FDSelect (0x000001b8):
  (format 3)
  FD #0 for GIDs 0...14

Font DICT INDEX (a.k.a. FDArray) (0x00000781):
  count: 1, offSize: 1
  [0] (0x00000786):
  <<
    /FontName (NVQBZA+LMRoman12-Regular)  % SID 391
    /Private [59 1941]  % [size offset]
    % ----- Following entries are missing, so they get default values: -----
    /isFixedPitch false  % default
    /ItalicAngle 0  % default
    /UnderlinePosition -100  % default
    /UnderlineThickness 50  % default
    /PaintType 0  % default
    /CharstringType 2  % default
    /FontMatrix [0.001 0 0 0.001 0 0]  % default
    /FontBBox [0 0 0 0]  % default
    /StrokeWidth 0  % default

CharStrings INDEX (0x000001c0):
  count: 15, offSize: 2
  <CharStrings dumping is disabled>

CIDFont's Private DICTs:
  Private DICT for Font DICT #0 (0x00000795):
  <<
    /BlueValues [-21 0 431 446 665 675 683 704]  % Original delta values: [-21 21 431 15 219 10 8 21]
    /BlueScale 4.546E-2
    /BlueFuzz 0
    /StdHW 29
    /StdVW 65
    /StemSnapH [19 20 22 27 28 29 35 39 40 42 82 97]  % Original delta values: [19 1 2 5 1 1 6 4 1 2 40 15]
    /StemSnapV [22 49 63 65 71 76 79 81 83 87 93 97]  % Original delta values: [22 27 14 2 6 5 3 2 2 4 6 4]
    /defaultWidthX 490
    /nominalWidthX 643
    % ----- Following entries are missing, so they get default values: -----
    /BlueShift 7  % default
    /ForceBold false  % default
    /LanguageGroup 0  % default
    /ExpansionFactor 0.06  % default
    /initialRandomSeed 0  % default

Local Subr INDEX for Font DICT #0:
  <No local subroutines>

Info messages:
Info: This is a CIDFont.

% End of dump

[-- Attachment #5: font-0008.mkxl.dump --]

% CFF Dump Output
% File: font-0008.cid

Header (0x00000000):
    major: 1
    minor: 0
    hdrSize: 4
    offSize: 4

Name INDEX (0x00000004):
  count: 1, offSize: 1
    [0]: (CLLXEY+LMRoman12-Regular)

Top DICT INDEX (0x00000021):
  count: 1, offSize: 1
  [0] (0x00000026):
  <<
    /ROS << /Registry (Adobe) /Ordering (Identity) /Supplement 0 >>
    /CIDCount 15
    /FamilyName (LMRoman12)  % SID 392
    /FullName (LMRoman12-Regular)  % SID 393
    /Weight (Normal)  % SID 394
    /FontBBox [-422 -280 1394 1127]
    /isFixedPitch false
    /ItalicAngle 0
    /UnderlinePosition -175
    /UnderlineThickness 44
    /CharstringType 2
    /FontMatrix [0.001 0 0 0.001 0 0]
    /StrokeWidth 0
    /CharStrings 257  % offset
    /charset 220  % offset
    /FDArray 1751  % offset
    /FDSelect 249  % offset
    /Private [23 1728]  % [size offset]
    % ----- Following entries are missing, so they get default values: -----
    /PaintType 0  % default
    /CIDFontVersion 0  % default
    /CIDFontRevision 0  % default
    /CIDFontType 0  % default

String INDEX (0x00000085):
  count: 7, offSize: 1
    [0](SID = 391): (2.004)
    [1](SID = 392): (LMRoman12)
    [2](SID = 393): (LMRoman12-Regular)
    [3](SID = 394): (Normal)
    [4](SID = 395): (Adobe)
    [5](SID = 396): (Identity)
    [6](SID = 397): (CLLXEY+LMRoman12-Regular)

Global Subr INDEX (0x000000da):
  count: 0
  <No global subroutines>

Charset (0x000000dc):
  (format 0; [GID] = <CID>):
  ([0] = CID 0),
  [1]  = CID 1,  [2]  = CID 2,  [3]  = CID 3,  [4]  = CID 4,
  [5]  = CID 5,  [6]  = CID 6,  [7]  = CID 7,  [8]  = CID 8,
  [9]  = CID 9,  [10] = CID 10, [11] = CID 11, [12] = CID 12,
  [13] = CID 13, [14] = CID 14,

FDSelect (0x000000f9):
  (format 3)
  FD #0 for GIDs 0...14

Font DICT INDEX (a.k.a. FDArray) (0x000006d7):
  count: 1, offSize: 1
  [0] (0x000006dc):
  <<
    /FontName (CLLXEY+LMRoman12-Regular)  % SID 397
    /Private [23 1728]  % [size offset]
    % ----- Following entries are missing, so they get default values: -----
    /isFixedPitch false  % default
    /ItalicAngle 0  % default
    /UnderlinePosition -100  % default
    /UnderlineThickness 50  % default
    /PaintType 0  % default
    /CharstringType 2  % default
    /FontMatrix [0.001 0 0 0.001 0 0]  % default
    /FontBBox [0 0 0 0]  % default
    /StrokeWidth 0  % default

CharStrings INDEX (0x00000101):
  count: 15, offSize: 2
  <CharStrings dumping is disabled>

CIDFont's Private DICTs:
  Private DICT for Font DICT #0 (0x000006c0):
  <<
    /defaultWidthX 490
    /nominalWidthX 643
    /BlueValues [-21 0 431 446 665 675 683 704]  % Original delta values: [-21 21 431 15 219 10 8 21]
    /BlueScale 0
    /BlueFuzz 0
    % ----- Following entries are missing, so they get default values: -----
    /BlueShift 7  % default
    /ForceBold false  % default
    /LanguageGroup 0  % default
    /ExpansionFactor 0.06  % default
    /initialRandomSeed 0  % default

Local Subr INDEX for Font DICT #0:
  <No local subroutines>

Info messages:
Info: This is a CIDFont.

% End of dump

cu,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah@vuxu.org>  https://leahneukirchen.org

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-10-09  6:03 ` Max Chernoff via ntg-context
From: Max Chernoff via ntg-context @ 2022-10-09  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Max Chernoff

Hi all,

> I use LuaMetaTeX 2.10 20220918 + ConTeXt LMTX 2022.09.11.
>
> Here's a tiny test document, I disabled PDF compression but it also
> doesn't work with the default settings.
>
> \setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
> \starttext
> Just a line of text.
> \stoptext
>
> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.

Just to add some more data points, I tested the attached MkXL file on
two printers, and the file printed perfectly on both.

Printer 1:
   Brother HL-3170CDW
   Printed via running "cat test.mkxl.pdf | nc Colour-Printer.local 9100"

Printer 2:
   HP M227f LaserJet
   Printed from the PDF file on a USB stick

Neither printer is anything fancy; they're both fairly inexpensive home
laser printers. I've got a much older Brother laser printer that I may be
able to test with next week.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
-- Max

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-09 10:08   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-09 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Chernoff via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/9/2022 8:03 AM, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>> I use LuaMetaTeX 2.10 20220918 + ConTeXt LMTX 2022.09.11.
>>
>> Here's a tiny test document, I disabled PDF compression but it also
>> doesn't work with the default settings.
>>
>> \setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
>> \starttext
>> Just a line of text.
>> \stoptext
>>
>> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
>> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.
>
> Just to add some more data points, I tested the attached MkXL file on
> two printers, and the file printed perfectly on both.
>
> Printer 1:
>     Brother HL-3170CDW
>     Printed via running "cat test.mkxl.pdf | nc Colour-Printer.local 9100"
>
> Printer 2:
>     HP M227f LaserJet
>     Printed from the PDF file on a USB stick
>
> Neither printer is anything fancy; they're both fairly inexpensive home
> laser printers. I've got a much older Brother laser printer that I may be
> able to test with next week.
>
> Sorry I can't be of more help.
Leah and I are zooming in on the issue. It might relate to wrong font
matrix default behavior in the pdf printer driver, and GS got a fix for
that long ago, so maybe old printers with not-updated drivers can be
affected.

Once we're confident that we can catch it Leah (who does the low level
introspective testing with viewers, printers and tools) likely will
report on it and there will be a test file for users to test if what we
do is okay before we apply the safeguard.

Hans

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-11 19:07     ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-11 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> On 10/9/2022 8:03 AM, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>> I use LuaMetaTeX 2.10 20220918 + ConTeXt LMTX 2022.09.11.
>>>
>>> Here's a tiny test document, I disabled PDF compression but it also
>>> doesn't work with the default settings.
>>>
>>> \setupbackend[level=0,compresslevel=0]
>>> \starttext
>>> Just a line of text.
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> When I print this "directly" (i.e. sending the raw PDF to the printer)
>>> on a Ricoh MP3053 or on a Samsung CLP-680DW, I just get an empty page.
>> Just to add some more data points, I tested the attached MkXL file
>> on
>> two printers, and the file printed perfectly on both.
>> Printer 1:
>>     Brother HL-3170CDW
>>     Printed via running "cat test.mkxl.pdf | nc Colour-Printer.local 9100"
>>     Printer 2:
>>     HP M227f LaserJet
>>     Printed from the PDF file on a USB stick
>>     Neither printer is anything fancy; they're both fairly
>> inexpensive home
>> laser printers. I've got a much older Brother laser printer that I may be
>> able to test with next week.
>> Sorry I can't be of more help.
> Leah and I are zooming in on the issue. It might relate to wrong font
> matrix default behavior in the pdf printer driver, and GS got a fix
> for that long ago, so maybe old printers with not-updated drivers can
> be affected.
>
> Once we're confident that we can catch it Leah (who does the low level
> introspective testing with viewers, printers and tools) likely will
> report on it and there will be a test file for users to test if what
> we do is okay before we apply the safeguard.

There's a write up now on the issue:
https://leahneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2022/10/50-blank-pages-or-black-box-debugging-of-pdf-rendering-in-printers.html

--

@ 2022-10-12  4:41       ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2022-10-12  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:

> Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> > Once we're confident that we can catch it Leah (who does the low level
> > introspective testing with viewers, printers and tools) likely will
> > report on it and there will be a test file for users to test if what
> > we do is okay before we apply the safeguard.
>
> There's a write up now on the issue:
> https://leahneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2022/10/50-blank-pages-or-black-box-debugging-of-pdf-rendering-in-printers.html

Wow, that was quite a ride. Kudos on getting to the bottom of this!

Aditya

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-12  4:56       ` Max Chernoff via ntg-context
From: Max Chernoff via ntg-context @ 2022-10-12  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Max Chernoff, leah

Hi Leah,

> > Leah and I are zooming in on the issue. It might relate to wrong font
> > matrix default behavior in the pdf printer driver, and GS got a fix
> > for that long ago, so maybe old printers with not-updated drivers can
> > be affected.
> >
> > Once we're confident that we can catch it Leah (who does the low level
> > introspective testing with viewers, printers and tools) likely will
> > report on it and there will be a test file for users to test if what
> > we do is okay before we apply the safeguard.
>
> There's a write up now on the issue:
> https://leahneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2022/10/50-blank-pages-or-black-box-debugging-of-pdf-rendering-in-printers.html

Great write up! I was expecting the issue to be something quite simple,
but it's actually fairly complicated. Especially considering that the
issue only happens with a few printer models, I'm pretty impressed that
you managed to find the problem. At least the fix appears quite easy.

Seeing that you're modifying the font encoding, could you perhaps
reconsider supporting hinting in LMTX?

   https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/106311.html

Even with a high resolution screen, I can still see a difference, and
the issue can show up in print too:

   https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/q/5874

I'm fairly confident that these issues are all hinting-related:

   https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/106874.html
   https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/105212.html

Considering that all of the fonts included with ConTeXt are hinted, it
seems like a shame to not include any of that data in the generated
PDFs.

Thanks,
-- Max

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-12 11:14         ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-12 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen, Max Chernoff

Max Chernoff via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

> Hi Leah,
>

>> > Leah and I are zooming in on the issue. It might relate to wrong font
>> > matrix default behavior in the pdf printer driver, and GS got a fix
>> > for that long ago, so maybe old printers with not-updated drivers can
>> > be affected.
>> >
>> > Once we're confident that we can catch it Leah (who does the low level
>> > introspective testing with viewers, printers and tools) likely will
>> > report on it and there will be a test file for users to test if what
>> > we do is okay before we apply the safeguard.
>>
>> There's a write up now on the issue:
>> https://leahneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2022/10/50-blank-pages-or-black-box-debugging-of-pdf-rendering-in-printers.html
>
> Great write up! I was expecting the issue to be something quite simple,
> but it's actually fairly complicated. Especially considering that the
> issue only happens with a few printer models, I'm pretty impressed that
> you managed to find the problem. At least the fix appears quite easy.
>
> Seeing that you're modifying the font encoding, could you perhaps
> reconsider supporting hinting in LMTX?
>
>    https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/106311.html
>
> Even with a high resolution screen, I can still see a difference, and
> the issue can show up in print too:
>

>    https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/q/5874
>
> I'm fairly confident that these issues are all hinting-related:
>
>    https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/106874.html
>    https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/105212.html
>
> Considering that all of the fonts included with ConTeXt are hinted, it
> seems like a shame to not include any of that data in the generated
> PDFs.

The last version of font-cff.lua should also copy the hinting-related
values of the CFF properly (/BlueScale, /StemSnap[HV] etc).
We fixed that on the side. ;)

--

@ 2022-10-12 22:50           ` Max Chernoff via ntg-context
From: Max Chernoff via ntg-context @ 2022-10-12 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Neukirchen, ntg-context; +Cc: Max Chernoff

On Wed, 2022-10-12 at 13:14 +0200, Leah Neukirchen wrote:
> > Seeing that you're modifying the font encoding, could you perhaps
> > reconsider supporting hinting in LMTX?
> >
> >    https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/106311.html
> >
> > Even with a high resolution screen, I can still see a difference, and
> > the issue can show up in print too:
> >

> >    https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/q/5874
> >
> > I'm fairly confident that these issues are all hinting-related:
> >
> >    https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/106874.html
> >    https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2022/105212.html
> >
> > Considering that all of the fonts included with ConTeXt are hinted, it
> > seems like a shame to not include any of that data in the generated
> > PDFs.
>
> The last version of font-cff.lua should also copy the hinting-related
> values of the CFF properly (/BlueScale, /StemSnap[HV] etc).
> We fixed that on the side. ;)

Yay!

Thanks,
-- Max

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-13 17:41             ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-10-13 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Chernoff via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 10/13/22 00:50, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-10-12 at 13:14 +0200, Leah Neukirchen wrote:
>> [...]
>> The last version of font-cff.lua should also copy the hinting-related
>> values of the CFF properly (/BlueScale, /StemSnap[HV] etc).
>> We fixed that on the side. ;)
>
> Yay!

Many thanks for your work fixing this, Leah and Hans.

The only remaining question is then when the new version will be be
released.

Many thanks again for your work,

Pablo

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-13 18:36               ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-10-13 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 13.10.22 um 19:41 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
> On 10/13/22 00:50, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:
>> On Wed, 2022-10-12 at 13:14 +0200, Leah Neukirchen wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> The last version of font-cff.lua should also copy the hinting-related
>>> values of the CFF properly (/BlueScale, /StemSnap[HV] etc).
>>> We fixed that on the side. ;)
>>
>> Yay!
>
> Many thanks for your work fixing this, Leah and Hans.
>
> The only remaining question is then when the new version will be be
> released.

They who attended the latest online meeting know that there’s a secret
project going on that needs to be completed first.

Hraban

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-13 19:30       ` Willi Egger via ntg-context
From: Willi Egger via ntg-context @ 2022-10-13 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now! I am astonished about this blog! Super that you, Leah and Hans, insisted to find out what the culprit was! Thank you both so much for your effort!

Kind regards
Willi

@ 2022-10-13 20:32               ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-13 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/13/2022 7:41 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> On 10/13/22 00:50, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:
>> On Wed, 2022-10-12 at 13:14 +0200, Leah Neukirchen wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> The last version of font-cff.lua should also copy the hinting-related
>>> values of the CFF properly (/BlueScale, /StemSnap[HV] etc).
>>> We fixed that on the side. ;)
>>
>> Yay!
>
> Many thanks for your work fixing this, Leah and Hans.
>
> The only remaining question is then when the new version will be be
> released.
some day soon ... the apple m1 has to come online first (afaik apple
didn't release a robust vm yet so the machine has to be kicked into
action every now and then) and we only release when we can do all
platforms ... apart from ms and me wanting to finish something first

it's not that no-one can print, right?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: LMTX generates PDFs with non-working fonts on real printers
@ 2022-10-13 20:35                 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-10-13 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 10/13/2022 8:36 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> Am 13.10.22 um 19:41 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
>>>
>>> Yay!
>>
>> Many thanks for your work fixing this, Leah and Hans.
>>
>> The only remaining question is then when the new version will be be
>> released.
>
> They who attended the latest online meeting know that there’s a secret
> project going on that needs to be completed first.
let's keep it a secret till at least the next meetup .. after all it
relates to a more that 30 year old sort of secret

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE