* Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-03 14:07 Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2020-02-03 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it makes
sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be distinguished with.
Is there a blessed one?

   - .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML files
   inside of ConTeXt itself
   - .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would it make
   sense to give text documents that extension?
   - Something else? (.tex doesn’t count, it’s shared with LaTeX files and
   plain TeX files)

Best, Philipp

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-03 14:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-02-03 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/3/2020 3:07 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it makes
> sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be distinguished with.
> Is there a blessed one?
>
>   * .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML files
>     inside of ConTeXt itself

context ctx files are xml files indeed

>   * .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would it make
>     sense to give text documents that extension?

you can do that (or mkvi or lmtx or ...)

>   * Something else? (.tex doesn’t count, it’s shared with LaTeX files
>     and plain TeX files)
so then use mkiv

Hans

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-03 22:05   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-02-03 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb am 03.02.2020 um 15:28:
> On 2/3/2020 3:07 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it
>> makes sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be
>> distinguished with.
>> Is there a blessed one?
>>
>>   * .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML files
>>     inside of ConTeXt itself
>
> context ctx files are xml files indeed
>
>>   * .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would it make
>>     sense to give text documents that extension?
>
> you can do that (or mkvi or lmtx or ...)
>
>>   * Something else? (.tex doesn’t count, it’s shared with LaTeX files
>>     and plain TeX files)
> so then use mkiv

Why not just <FILE>.context

Wolfgang

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-03 23:31     ` Exp
From: Exp @ 2020-02-03 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would suggest to advertise with the ending another trademark that is not
a zero-entropy word in the programming world when not randomly capitalized,
and, if possible, that is not an everyday English word either.

Mkiv is a good choice for the moment. If there would be no Mkvi and so on,
it is good forever.

Le lun. 3 févr. 2020 à 23:05, Wolfgang Schuster <
wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hans Hagen schrieb am 03.02.2020 um 15:28:
> > On 2/3/2020 3:07 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it
> >> makes sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be
> >> distinguished with.
> >> Is there a blessed one?
> >>
> >>   * .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML files
> >>     inside of ConTeXt itself
> >
> > context ctx files are xml files indeed
> >
> >>   * .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would it make
> >>     sense to give text documents that extension?
> >
> > you can do that (or mkvi or lmtx or ...)
> >
> >>   * Something else? (.tex doesn’t count, it’s shared with LaTeX files
> >>     and plain TeX files)
> > so then use mkiv
>
> Why not just <FILE>.context
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-03 23:48       ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2020-02-03 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 04-02-2020 00:31, Exp wrote:

> Mkiv is a good choice for the moment. If there would be no Mkvi and so
> on, it is good forever.

.tex is used for both tex (as well as latex as well as other wrappers).

how about for the new context era:
.lmtx

.F

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-04 15:15         ` Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2020-02-04 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you all! What is lmtx? Is there any link with infos?

Am Di., 4. Feb. 2020 um 00:53 Uhr schrieb Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl
>:

> On 04-02-2020 00:31, Exp wrote:
> >
> > Mkiv is a good choice for the moment. If there would be no Mkvi and so
> > on, it is good forever.
>
> .tex is used for both tex (as well as latex as well as other wrappers).
>
> how about for the new context era:
> .lmtx
>

> .F

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-04 15:34           ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-02-04 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/4/20 4:15 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
> Thank you all! What is lmtx? Is there any link with infos?

Dear Philipp,

LuaMetaTeX is LuaTeX developed only for ConTeXt.

More infos:

  https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/094476.html
  https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/094488.html

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-04 16:57   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-02-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/3/20 3:28 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 2/3/2020 3:07 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it makes
>> sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be distinguished with.
>> Is there a blessed one?
>>
>>   * .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML files
>>     inside of ConTeXt itself
>
> context ctx files are xml files indeed
>
>>   * .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would it make
>>     sense to give text documents that extension?
>
> you can do that (or mkvi or lmtx or ...)

Since there are already *.mkxl files in the ConTeXt distribution, I
think it may make sense to name the LMTX version MkXL.

In any case, MkXL is simpler and clearer that MkIV with LMTX.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-04 19:27     ` kaddour kardio
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: kaddour kardio @ 2020-02-04 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate to
got the "dot tex" than latex :)

Le mar. 4 févr. 2020 à 17:57, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> a écrit :

> On 2/3/20 3:28 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > On 2/3/2020 3:07 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it makes
> >> sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be distinguished with.
> >> Is there a blessed one?
> >>
> >>   * .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML files
> >>     inside of ConTeXt itself
> >
> > context ctx files are xml files indeed
> >
> >>   * .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would it make
> >>     sense to give text documents that extension?
> >
> > you can do that (or mkvi or lmtx or ...)
>
> Since there are already *.mkxl files in the ConTeXt distribution, I
> think it may make sense to name the LMTX version MkXL.
>
> In any case, MkXL is simpler and clearer that MkIV with LMTX.
>
> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-04 19:39       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-02-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 2020-02-04 um 20:27 schrieb kaddour kardio <kaddourkardio@gmail.com>:
>
> Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate to got the "dot tex" than latex :)

I’d suggest to start a war to claim it…

HR

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-04 20:14         ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2020-02-04 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 04-02-2020 20:39, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> I’d suggest to start a war to claim it…

we already have it ;-)

.F

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-05  9:18       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-02-05  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/4/2020 8:27 PM, kaddour kardio wrote:
> Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate
> to got the "dot tex" than latex :)
>
> Le mar. 4 févr. 2020 à 17:57, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es
> <mailto:oinos@gmx.es>> a écrit :
>
>     On 2/3/20 3:28 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>      > On 2/3/2020 3:07 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
>      >> Hi!
>      >>
>      >> Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it
>     makes
>      >> sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be distinguished
>     with.
>      >> Is there a blessed one?
>      >>
>      >>   * .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML
>     files
>      >>     inside of ConTeXt itself
>      >
>      > context ctx files are xml files indeed
>      >
>      >>   * .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would
>     it make
>      >>     sense to give text documents that extension?
>      >
>      > you can do that (or mkvi or lmtx or ...)
>
>     Since there are already *.mkxl files in the ConTeXt distribution, I
>     think it may make sense to name the LMTX version MkXL.
>
>     In any case, MkXL is simpler and clearer that MkIV with LMTX.
mkiv (four)   : files that expect mkiv (or lmtx)
mkvi (six)    : mkiv (or lmtx) files that pass a filter
mkxl (fourty) : files that expect lmtx
mklx (sixty)  : lmtx files that pass a filter

(there are some more, like template files and so)

I suppose that latex syntax highlighting filters support tex and sty and
maybe suffixes i'm noti aware of. So a context specific highlighter
could support mkiv, mkvi, mkxk and mkvi. At least that's what I do here.

Hans

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-05  9:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-02-05  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/4/2020 8:27 PM, kaddour kardio wrote:
> Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate
> to got the "dot tex" than latex :)
I always wonder where such info comes from. Plain tex is a 45K file that
is described in the tex book and serves as template for Don Knuths own
styles for his books. Much of it is dedicated to setting up fonts and
math. I think it was never meant to be a general purpose macro package
but serve as starting point and example of how to apply primitives.

Anyway, it's alway interesting to see folws coming up with descriptions
of context (or whatever relates to it) which then become kind of truths.
In todays terms we shouls say that 'the community has its own
influencers' and 'origins of fake news' and ...

Hans

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-05  9:25         ` Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2020-02-05  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ha, I was just writing about my confusion, thank you for clearing this up.

So how about I add those four to Wikipedia and the ConTeXt wiki?

Am Mi., 5. Feb. 2020 um 10:23 Uhr schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:

> On 2/4/2020 8:27 PM, kaddour kardio wrote:
> > Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate
> > to got the "dot tex" than latex :)
> >
> > Le mar. 4 févr. 2020 à 17:57, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es
> > <mailto:oinos@gmx.es>> a écrit :
> >
> >     On 2/3/20 3:28 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >      > On 2/3/2020 3:07 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
> >      >> Hi!
> >      >>
> >      >> Most text editors have LaTeX specific syntax highlighting, so it
> >     makes
> >      >> sense to give your ConTeXt file a ending it can be distinguished
> >     with.
> >      >> Is there a blessed one?
> >      >>
> >      >>   * .ctx: Would mirror the semi-common .ltx, but is used for XML
> >     files
> >      >>     inside of ConTeXt itself
> >      >
> >      > context ctx files are xml files indeed
> >      >
> >      >>   * .mkiv: Is that just for ConTeXt or all LuaTeX stuff? Would
> >     it make
> >      >>     sense to give text documents that extension?
> >      >
> >      > you can do that (or mkvi or lmtx or ...)
> >
> >     Since there are already *.mkxl files in the ConTeXt distribution, I
> >     think it may make sense to name the LMTX version MkXL.
> >
> >     In any case, MkXL is simpler and clearer that MkIV with LMTX.
> mkiv (four)   : files that expect mkiv (or lmtx)
> mkvi (six)    : mkiv (or lmtx) files that pass a filter
> mkxl (fourty) : files that expect lmtx
> mklx (sixty)  : lmtx files that pass a filter
>
> (there are some more, like template files and so)
>
> I suppose that latex syntax highlighting filters support tex and sty and
> maybe suffixes i'm noti aware of. So a context specific highlighter
> could support mkiv, mkvi, mkxk and mkvi. At least that's what I do here.
>
> Hans

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-05 10:00         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-02-05 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 2020-02-05 um 10:24 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:
>
> On 2/4/2020 8:27 PM, kaddour kardio wrote:
>> Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate to got the "dot tex" than latex :)
> I always wonder where such info comes from. Plain tex is a 45K file that is described in the tex book and serves as template for Don Knuths own styles for his books. Much of it is dedicated to setting up fonts and math. I think it was never meant to be a general purpose macro package but serve as starting point and example of how to apply primitives.

Maybe not PlainTeX, but plain TeX.

E.g. we usually use TeX primitives like \def (even if we have \define), while with LaTeX you use \newcommand, similar with \vbox and others.

I understood LuaMetaTeX, as a stripped-down typesetting engine, would be closer to the spirit of Knuth’s TeX than a bloated pdfTeX/LuaTeX.

Hraban

* Re: Official file ending?
@ 2020-02-05 10:28           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-02-05 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/5/2020 11:00 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>> Am 2020-02-05 um 10:24 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:
>>
>> On 2/4/2020 8:27 PM, kaddour kardio wrote:
>>> Since ConTeXT is closer to plain TeX than LaTeX, it is more legitimate to got the "dot tex" than latex :)
>> I always wonder where such info comes from. Plain tex is a 45K file that is described in the tex book and serves as template for Don Knuths own styles for his books. Much of it is dedicated to setting up fonts and math. I think it was never meant to be a general purpose macro package but serve as starting point and example of how to apply primitives.
>
> Maybe not PlainTeX, but plain TeX.
>
> E.g. we usually use TeX primitives like \def (even if we have \define), while with LaTeX you use \newcommand, similar with \vbox and others.
>
> I understood LuaMetaTeX, as a stripped-down typesetting engine, would be closer to the spirit of Knuth’s TeX than a bloated pdfTeX/LuaTeX.
Indeed, although I admit that I added some primitives that I felt were
missing (which is why we will have foo.lmtx source files).

Hans