* Simple documents do multiple LaTeX runs
@ 2023-10-26 11:40 news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA
       [not found] ` <f1950468-445b-4886-8b1b-66105bbf7cae-fsFgPW9xikU7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
From: news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA @ 2023-10-26 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

When I use Pandoc to generate PDFs, pandoc does always multiple LaTeX runs.

I know this is necessary for citing and cross referencing, but Pandoc does so even for simple do documents which need certainly only one pass.

How can I tell Pandoc to gebrate PDFs with only one LaTeX run?

Many thanks,
Walter

* Re: Simple documents do multiple LaTeX runs
       [not found] ` <f1950468-445b-4886-8b1b-66105bbf7cae-fsFgPW9xikU7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-10-26 16:29   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <E6504425-9F1C-422A-9416-F8E87EC2B769-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-10-26 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The reason we always do at least 2 runs is that 1 run won't give you PDF bookmarks.

Of course if you only want one run you could try to optimize by using latexmk as your engine and tweaking its options (it will only be run once because it handles multiple runs itself). Or just produce a tex file and tex it yourself (automate with script or Makefile).

> On Oct 26, 2023, at 4:40 AM, news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org wrote:
>
> When I use Pandoc to generate PDFs, pandoc does always multiple LaTeX runs.
>
> I know this is necessary for citing and cross referencing, but Pandoc does so even for simple do documents which need certainly only one pass.
>
> How can I tell Pandoc to gebrate PDFs with only one LaTeX run?
>
> Many thanks,
> Walter
>
> --

* Re: Simple documents do multiple LaTeX runs
       [not found]     ` <E6504425-9F1C-422A-9416-F8E87EC2B769-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-10-27  1:44       ` Oliver Baumann
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Oliver Baumann @ 2023-10-27  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks John

Makes sense. I'll try the latexmk route!

Happy pandocing!
On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 3:29:18 AM UTC+11 John MacFarlane wrote:

> The reason we always do at least 2 runs is that 1 run won't give you PDF
> bookmarks.
>
> Of course if you only want one run you could try to optimize by using
> latexmk as your engine and tweaking its options (it will only be run once
> because it handles multiple runs itself). Or just produce a tex file and
> tex it yourself (automate with script or Makefile).
>
> > On Oct 26, 2023, at 4:40 AM, ne...-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org wrote:
> >
> > When I use Pandoc to generate PDFs, pandoc does always multiple LaTeX
> runs.
> >
> > I know this is necessary for citing and cross referencing, but Pandoc
> does so even for simple do documents which need certainly only one pass.
> >
> > How can I tell Pandoc to gebrate PDFs with only one LaTeX run?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Walter
> >
> > --
> an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f1950468-445b-4886-8b1b-66105bbf7cae%40app.fastmail.com
> .

* How to pass to latexmk options which have a space-separated  argument
       [not found]     ` <E6504425-9F1C-422A-9416-F8E87EC2B769-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-10-30  7:32       ` oliver
       [not found]         ` <4B28A474-F723-477A-8ADB-510FA6D0DDC4-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org>
From: oliver @ 2023-10-30  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi there

I try to use latexmk with pandoc and I want to pass to latexmk the option:-e $max_repeat=1

So I try the following:

pandoc doc.md  -t latex --pdf-engine=latexmk  '--pdf-engine-opt=-e $max_repeat=1' -o doc.pdf

But I get from latexmk the error: “Latexmk: -e $max_repeat=1 unknown option”

How can I pass to latexmk this option which has an argument separated by space?

Thanks for pointers!
Oliver

* Re: How to pass to latexmk options which have a space-separated argument
       [not found]         ` <4B28A474-F723-477A-8ADB-510FA6D0DDC4-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-10-30  7:45           ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]             ` <CAEe_xxih=XEY4qYAQn8_TWUf+9tDSQ5SZ7ng=NUcGWAn9n-a-Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-10-30  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think you need to use multiple options, as in:

pandoc doc.md  -t latex --pdf-engine=latexmk --pdf-engine-opt=-e
--pdf-engine-opt='$max_repeat=1' -o doc.pdf

(I don't use latexmk, but I guess I must have it installed because the
above worked for me. It didn't seem to create an output file, but that's
probably a different problem.)

@ 2023-10-30 15:21               ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2023-10-30 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Den mån 30 okt. 2023 08:45'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss <
pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> I think you need to use multiple options, as in:
>
> pandoc doc.md  -t latex --pdf-engine=latexmk --pdf-engine-opt=-e
> --pdf-engine-opt='$max_repeat=1' -o doc.pdf
>
> (I don't use latexmk, but I guess I must have it installed

You probably got it installed along with TeXLive.

@ 2023-10-31 12:14               ` news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA
From: news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA @ 2023-10-31 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Mon, 30 Oct 2023, at 6:45 PM, 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss wrote:
> I think you need to use multiple options, as in:
>
> pandoc doc.md  -t latex --pdf-engine=latexmk --pdf-engine-opt=-e --pdf-engine-opt='$max_repeat=1' -o doc.pdf

Cool! That's it. Very literal thinking.

It works for me.

Thanks a lot!

@ 2023-11-03  6:56       ` Oliver
From: Oliver @ 2023-11-03  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi there

I want to copy all the sources of a markdown file (like its images) into a temp folder and then generate its `.tex` file there and run `(pdf)latex`over it.

Can Pandoc help me with copying the referenced sources? It clearly does the same when running `pdflatex` itself: The verbose output shows that it gathers all the images.

Thanks for any help.

Oliver

(PS: The reason I don’t want to use Pandoc’s mechanism to run `pdflatex` directly is that Pando alwyas does _two_ latex runs, even though sometiems I want only one run the most.)

* How to copy all (image) source files of a markdown file into a temp folder
       [not found]     ` <E6504425-9F1C-422A-9416-F8E87EC2B769-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-11-03  7:19       ` Oliver
       [not found]         ` <8DFE8EAF-7206-4EC5-88F8-4A727EEE2631-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org>
From: Oliver @ 2023-11-03  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

_Sorry, I have posted the follwoing before, but under the wrong subject, so here with the correct subject line_:

Hi there

I want to copy all the sources of a markdown file (like its images) into a temp folder and then generate its `.tex` file there and run `(pdf)latex`over it.

Can Pandoc help me with copying the referenced sources? It clearly does the same when running `pdflatex` itself: The verbose output shows that it gathers all the images.

Thanks for any help.

Oliver

(PS: The reason I don’t want to use Pandoc’s mechanism to run `pdflatex` directly is that Pando alwyas does _two_ latex runs, even though sometiems I want only one run the most.)

* Re: How to copy all (image) source files of a markdown file into a temp folder
       [not found]         ` <8DFE8EAF-7206-4EC5-88F8-4A727EEE2631-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-11-03  8:11           ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-11-03  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Doesn't it just work if you type `pandoc -o myfile.tex myfile.md && pdflatex myfile`? myfile.tex will include the paths to the image files as indicated in myfile.md

@ 2023-11-03 12:29             ` oliver
       [not found]               ` <E329D815-20A8-4E88-9A7F-4598736B07D6-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org>
From: oliver @ 2023-11-03 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well, I really like was Pandoc does when it runs pdflatex internally: Hiding all the auxiliary files from a TeX run in a temp directory and I would like to emulate this for a single pdflatex run.

@ 2023-11-03 15:19                 ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-11-03 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

To do this, you can replace `pdflatex myfile` with `latexmk -pdf -auxdir=tmp myfile`. Then you can remove tmp/ if you are sure that you will not need it. You can even set `auxdir` to a directory under /tmp (e.g. /tmp/pdflatex).

@ 2023-11-03 15:49     ` Ulrike Fischer
       [not found]       ` <udtggqf79vlx$.dlg-bMiYgyzgJ3Ab1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2023-11-03 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:29:12 -0700 schrieb John MacFarlane:

> The reason we always do at least 2 runs is that 1 run won't give you PDF bookmarks.

If you use the bookmark package only one run is needed for
bookmarks.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

@ 2023-11-03 17:01         ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]           ` <1B830352-6696-4F37-A61B-6FBD53CB57DE-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-11-03 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That's really interesting to know.  Currently we include bookmarks conditionally:

\IfFileExists{bookmark.sty}{\usepackage{bookmark}}{\usepackage{hyperref}}

But that was added 5 years ago. I think now we could switch to including it unconditionally. It's part of texlive-latex-base in debian.

@ 2023-11-03 17:43             ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]               ` <4091673D-F656-4EAC-81E4-B0F8F7D5E999-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-11-03 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've just pushed a change to the template that includes bookmark unconditionally and runs latex only once in producing pdf output (unless a table of contents is present, in which case we still need three runs).

@ 2023-11-06  4:40                   ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2023-11-06  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for this.

What I ended up doing is running pdflatex myself with
`-output-directory` and then moving the pdf back to the source
directory.

@ 2023-11-06  4:41                 ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2023-11-06  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Cool! I will heck this out. This seems to be the best solution for really simple documents!