sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* Re: saved replacement texts?
@ 1992-11-23 23:31 Arnold Robbins
From: Arnold Robbins @ 1992-11-23 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

> [ Are there saved replacement texts? -- me ]
>
> use the mouse; in the case above, select and send in the command window.
> is this difficult?

No, I was just wondering, and hoping to avoid the extra mousing/typing.

Arnold

* Re: saved replacement texts?
@ 1992-11-24  5:18 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1992-11-24  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john, sam-fans

>How about cutting me some slack, Byron?

I got hot because you called Scott's idea "stupid". If you are going to
call something stupid, you should probably know what you're doing
first.  On this side of the Pacific, those are strong words.

>What I think would be appropriate would be for people who've just started
>using the editor since it's been available free to accumulate four years
>worth of experience with it before leaping to suggest how it should be
>improved.

I've used sam here and there for about that long. I have a pretty
good idea of how it works, and I also have a pretty good idea of what
I want.

>It would also be as well to remember that sam's interface was designed
>to integrate nicely with its surrounding window system environment, viz.
>mux on the Jerq.

I am baffled by one point regarding sam: why is it that it must implement
its own mini-window system internally? I agree that it "integrates" well
with mux: by imitating it! Unfortunately this means that sam is a misfit
in just about any other environment.

(For comparision, check out the NeXT editor. It is a multi-file editor
(no command language to speak of though) that opens a separate window
for each file.)

* Re: saved replacement texts?
@ 1992-11-24  3:19 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1992-11-24  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john, sam-fans

>This suggestion, I am afraid, is just plain stupid, emacs or no.

Oh, come off your high-horse. Emacs has a command-line which is
separate from the current window. Obviously Scott was not talking
about replacing the command window with the new file.

>Pike did an excellent job designing the sam interface.

I agree. But I don't think he achieved perfection, nor do I think
that suggestions for improvement are inappropriate.

>The single click to place the usual edit window is just what you want.

I'm sorry, maybe it's what you want, but it's not what I want.

>Sometimes, you want to put the command window in the middle of the top-level
>window, and have edit windows above and below.

Yes, about 1% of the time. Does it make sense to have the user interface
revolve around this remote possibility?

>It's not broken and doesn't need any fixing.

Obviously a matter of opinion.

I would prefer either of two options:

1) automatic placement

2) non-placement, i.e., leaving the files in the menu with a minus-sign.
(this makes opening the file into a two-click operation, assuming that
sam points the "lasthit" of the menu at the newly opened file)

In both cases, it means that I don't have to automatically reach for
the mouse after typing B. (though I prefer solution #1)

For example, I often want to make a quick change to a file with commands
of the form

	B file
	cmd

at *least* as often as I want to tile or otherwise futz with the sam
layers.

* Re: saved replacement texts?
@ 1992-11-24  3:05 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1992-11-24  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold, noel, sam-fans

>if that were the default, how would you specify that you _really_
>want to sweep a window?

by reshaping it, of course.

* Re: saved replacement texts?
@ 1992-11-23 22:03 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1992-11-23 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold, noel, sam-fans

Actually, this is a gripe of mine also. Forcing the user to use the
mouse is poor design, IMO. e.g., I think that 99% of the time the
overlapping windows in sam are useless. Hence I think it's particularly
pointless that I have to open a file by typing "B file" and then using
the mouse to "sweep" out the new area, when all I'm going to do is
click on the 3rd mouse button. Why isn't that action the default?

* saved replacement texts?
@ 1992-11-23 21:51 Arnold Robbins
From: Arnold Robbins @ 1992-11-23 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

System V versions of ed have a saved replacement text, so that one
can do the following:

	/foo/s//bar/
	//s//%/		or in vi:    ://s

Where the `%' means the last replacement text I used.  Vi uses the `~' for
this purpose.  Is there anything analogous in sam for either the c or s
commands?

Is there a reason (other than minimalism for the sake of minimalism) that
there shouldn't be such a thing?  Am I missing something obvious, or even
something subtle that's not apparent from the command language tutorial?

Thanks,

Arnold