The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Make love
@ 2015-07-30 21:11 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2015-07-30 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

My vague memory is that the original make, e.g. in V7, printed
`Don't know how to make love.'  This was not a special case:
`don't know how to make XXX' was the normal message.

There was a variant make that printed
	Not war?
if asked to make love without explicit instructions.  I thought
that appeared in 3BSD or 4BSD, but I could be mistaken.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Make love
@ 2015-08-01 11:03 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2015-08-01 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall:

  And please, no EMACS (editor too large)...

======

No EMACS please, we're UNIX.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Make love
@ 2015-07-31 17:23 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2015-07-31 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah hah!  My stray memory of `Not War?' must date from my TOPS-10 days.

I can't find a trace of the string `love' anywhere in any of the make
sources in Kirk's multi-CD compendium of historic BSD, so it certainly
can't have been from there.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Make love
@ 2015-07-31  0:16 Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2015-07-31  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 July 2015 at 17:11, Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:
> My vague memory is that the original make, e.g. in V7, printed
> `Don't know how to make love.'  This was not a special case:
> `don't know how to make XXX' was the normal message.
>
> There was a variant make that printed
>         Not war?
> if asked to make love without explicit instructions.  I thought
> that appeared in 3BSD or 4BSD, but I could be mistaken.

On Solaris 10, /usr/css/bin/make reports:
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `love'

N.

* [TUHS] Make love
@ 2015-07-30 20:00 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-07-30 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

So me, being an uber-geek, tried it on a few boxen again...

On the Mac:

    ozzie:~ dave$ make love
    make: *** No rule to make target `love'.  Stop.

Boring...

On FreeBSD:

    aneurin% make love
    Not war.

Thank you for keeping the faith!

And on my tame penguin:

    dave at debbie:~$ make love
    -bash: make: command not found

Sigh...

Watson never said: "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."