The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-30 13:19 Aharon Robbins
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-05-30 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There where several ports: Sun3, Sun4 / SPARC, DECstation, SPUR, Sequent
> Symmetry at least. Even mixed architecture clusters where supported. See
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/projects/sprite/retrospective.html

Wasn't the Symmetry a 386 based system?  Could Sprite be "revived" for the
modern PC?  Just wondering ...

Arnold

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-31 10:45 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-05-31 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think you're confused.  The DECstation was made by DEC, but used a MIPS
processor, not a VAX.  SIMH won't be able to do anything with it, although
there are likely other MIPS simulators out there to be found.

Arnold

@ 2004-05-27 18:17 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-05-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jose' R Valverde wrote:

> > > I had the (small) pleasure to run it on a small number of
> > > DECstations back in 1994-1995 out of the freshly published
> > > WalnuCreek CD and I still long for some of it features.

Let me be confused, and note that a DECstation is not a SPARCstation.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-26 21:36 Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2004-05-26 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jose,

TNX for parking Sprite on ftp.es.embnet.org!
I just ran into a little problem.. looks as if
the node is either down, or not reachable (at
least from here (== Plano, Texas):

$ ping ftp.es.embnet.org
PING bakalao.cnb.uam.es (150.244.80.6): 56 data bytes
^C
--- bakalao.cnb.uam.es ping statistics ---
$ ftp ftp.es.embnet.org
[2 minutes later]
^C$

> generated an ISO from the raw CD and am copying now the CD
> contents to disk, which are being made available as
>
>         ftp://ftp.es.embnet.org/pub/misc/TUHS/sprite
> and
>         ftp://ftp.es.embnet.org/pub/misc/TUHS/sprite.iso
>
> as the copying is done. Beware, it is ~530MB.

This goes for both my machine at home, and here at work.
Now, www.es.embnet.org responds fairly fast, so I don't
think that it's the wire across the big pond. Any
ideas?

TNX!

Regards,

Cornelius