The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-30 13:19 Aharon Robbins
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-05-30 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There where several ports: Sun3, Sun4 / SPARC, DECstation, SPUR, Sequent
> Symmetry at least. Even mixed architecture clusters where supported. See
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/projects/sprite/retrospective.html

Wasn't the Symmetry a 386 based system?  Could Sprite be "revived" for the
modern PC?  Just wondering ...

Arnold

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-30 15:46 ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2004-05-30 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:19:39 -0400
Aharon Robbins <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> > There where several ports: Sun3, Sun4 / SPARC, DECstation, SPUR,
> > Sequent Symmetry at least. Even mixed architecture clusters where
> > supported. See
> > http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/projects/sprite/retrospective.html
> Wasn't the Symmetry a 386 based system?
Yes.

> Could Sprite be "revived" for the modern PC?  Just wondering ...
Most likely no. The Sequent Symmetry machines had only one thing in
common with a PeeCee: The Intel 80386DX chip. Everything else was custom
Sequent architecture.

And by the way: I have hands on experience with a 8 CPU Sequent Symmetry
S27. It cost over 900000 DM (today about 500000 US$) in 1989 and had a
much slower disk and network interface as the Sun 3/260. It was an
overpriced snail.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-30 22:16   ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2004-05-30 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Okay, now this begs the question: Can the VAX Station boot code which
is targeted to that specific system, be rewritten to accommodate the
VAX processor that SIMH emulates? I am not a good C programmer, just a
whatever comes before that. I can only offer these suggestions, and
ask these questions.

For that matter, do any of us have any of the SUN hardware that I do
know Sprite ran on? Or that VAX Station? For me, its no to all three.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-31  7:16 ` José R. Valverde
From: José R. Valverde @ 2004-05-31  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:19:39 -0400
Aharon Robbins <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> Wasn't the Symmetry a 386 based system?  Could Sprite be "revived" for the
> modern PC?  Just wondering ...

Would it make sense? Other than for historic reasons I mean.

Nowadays we have Linux, well supported, widely spread, with logging file
systems and with at least three free process migration extensions (Mosix,
OpenMosix and OpenSSI) plus Bproc. It would make more sense to pursue a
merge of these extensions in the main kernel.

Truly, Sprite would be totally unencumbered (i.e. possibly free of SCO-like
attacks) but that wouldn't preclude any deep-pocket to attempt spurious or
unfunded attacks to spread FUD if they felt they could capitalize on them.

It's true too that Sprite code (to me) is more elegant, but I have concerns
how would it look after ten years of community development and without
Ousterhout's leadership.

Not less true, having a microkernel based implementation is tempting, but
I doubt people is ready for uKernels with so much marketing pressure to make
them believe that they need to squeeze every single cycle and buy new CPUs
every so. It takes time and experience with several *different* systems,
algorithms and architectures to realize that a 10% linear speedup is most
often a meaningless achievement.

And to finish, the multi-architecture single-system image is still far
from most clusters, and noteworthy in itself, but I'm sure it would come if
more people could land their hands on more than cheap PCs for playing.

I certainly long for Sprite and would have loved to continue using it. Had
it been distributed two years earlier it might have become 'the' open system
instead of Linux. But so might have BSD had it not been for the ATT lawsuit.
Opening it might have produced the extensions and maintenance that the
original research team couldn't provide, but at the time few could imagine
what the Internet community was able to achieve.

That said, I have also pondered that same question many times, but lack the
time or resources to give it a try (sigh).

	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey, I saw them first!

			    José R. Valverde

	De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-31 10:26     ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2004-05-31 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:16:33 -0400
"Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Okay, now this begs the question: Can the VAX Station boot code which
> is targeted to that specific system, be rewritten to accommodate the
> VAX processor that SIMH emulates?
??? VAXstation? Sprite runs on DECstations. DECstations are not VAXen.
They are MIPS based Unix workstations. An entirely different
architecture.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-31 16:58 ` Maciek Bieszczad
From: Maciek Bieszczad @ 2004-05-31 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's possible that Sprite could run on the mips64emul DECstation
emulator (Ultrix runs well enough to start DECwindows):

http://www.mdstud.chalmers.se/~md1gavan/mips64emul/index.html

@ 2004-05-31 10:45 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-05-31 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think you're confused.  The DECstation was made by DEC, but used a MIPS
processor, not a VAX.  SIMH won't be able to do anything with it, although
there are likely other MIPS simulators out there to be found.

Arnold

@ 2004-05-28  4:06   ` Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2004-05-28  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that you mention that...

I have two or three Britelite IPCs stashed away (that's more
or less a Sparc 2, or IPC, in a "luggable" formfactor, fold-up
LCD display with a whooping 640*480, even takes SBUS cards.
It's kinda portable, which means that the way to/from work becomes
your work-out. I wonder if Sprite runs on those as well. Gotta
fire that CDBurner up. That will take a bit. There is some bad
weather out there, and I think I heard the notorious phrase
"tornado warning" again :(

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> > Let me be confused, and note that a DECstation is not a SPARCstation.
> There where several ports: Sun3, Sun4 / SPARC, DECstation, SPUR, Sequent
> Symmetry at least. Even mixed architecture clusters where supported. See
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/projects/sprite/retrospective.html
>
> Hmm. I have some DECstation 3100, a 5000/240 and some SPARC 1+, 2, IPX
> machines around... ;-)

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-27 19:47 ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2004-05-27 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-05-27 18:17 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-05-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jose' R Valverde wrote:

> > > I had the (small) pleasure to run it on a small number of
> > > DECstations back in 1994-1995 out of the freshly published
> > > WalnuCreek CD and I still long for some of it features.

Let me be confused, and note that a DECstation is not a SPARCstation.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-27  8:16   ` José R. Valverde
From: José R. Valverde @ 2004-05-27  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:06:56 -0400
Kurt Wall <kwall at kurtwerks.com> wrote:
> > TNX for parking Sprite on ftp.es.embnet.org!
> > I just ran into a little problem.. looks as if
> > the node is either down, or not reachable (at
> > least from here (== Plano, Texas):

Should answer. It's up and running... unless someone's made a mess around
here with the firewall. I'll ask our network manager when she arrives this
morning.

Meanwhile, as someone else noticed, www.es.embnet.org should work as well
(it's a different computer but both share disks). Indeed both of them are
waiting to be phased out as soon as the upper level DNS admin approves the
changes.

Sorry for the delay in answering, on this side of the pond it was already
after hours, and this being the last day of Holidays of my brother at my
home (he's flying now back to America) I didn't look up my e-mail from
home.

	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!

@ 2004-05-27  7:05       ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2004-05-27  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:15:32 +0200
"José R. Valverde" <jrvalverde at cnb.uam.es> wrote:

> 	ftp://ftp.es.embnet.org/pub/misc/TUHS/sprite.iso
>
> as the copying is done. Beware, it is ~530MB.
Sugestion: Gzip the ISO image and make a MD5 checksum of it.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-27  0:57 ` Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2004-05-27  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cool -- embnet's web server allows ftp access:

ckeck at mail$ ftp -a www.es.embnet.org
Connected to bossa-nova.cnb.uam.es.
220-                    Welcome to EMBnet/CNB
220-                    =====================
220-
220-This is the FTP server of the Spanish EMBnet node (EMBnet/CNB).
220-
[...]
230-
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd pub/misc/TUHS
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
total 1067705
drwxr-xr-x    5 root         512 May 26 16:09 sprite
-rw-r--r--    1 root     546664448 May 26 15:44 sprite.iso
226 Transfer complete.
ftp>

I like it. Time to busy out my DSL line ;)

TNX for parking the .iso out there!

Regards,

Cornelius

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Cornelius Keck wrote:

> Jose,
>
> TNX for parking Sprite on ftp.es.embnet.org!
> I just ran into a little problem.. looks as if
> the node is either down, or not reachable (at
> least from here (== Plano, Texas):
>
> $ ping ftp.es.embnet.org
> PING bakalao.cnb.uam.es (150.244.80.6): 56 data bytes
> ^C
> --- bakalao.cnb.uam.es ping statistics ---
> 9 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
> $ ftp ftp.es.embnet.org
> [2 minutes later]
> ^C$
>
> > generated an ISO from the raw CD and am copying now the CD
> > contents to disk, which are being made available as
> >
> >         ftp://ftp.es.embnet.org/pub/misc/TUHS/sprite
> > and
> >         ftp://ftp.es.embnet.org/pub/misc/TUHS/sprite.iso
> >
> > as the copying is done. Beware, it is ~530MB.
>
> This goes for both my machine at home, and here at work.
> Now, www.es.embnet.org responds fairly fast, so I don't
> think that it's the wire across the big pond. Any
> ideas?
>
> TNX!
>
> Regards,
>
> Cornelius

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-26 23:06 ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2004-05-26 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a 1.0K blaze of typing glory, Cornelius Keck wrote:

> Jose,
>
> TNX for parking Sprite on ftp.es.embnet.org!
> I just ran into a little problem.. looks as if
> the node is either down, or not reachable (at
> least from here (== Plano, Texas):
>
> $ ping ftp.es.embnet.org
> PING bakalao.cnb.uam.es (150.244.80.6): 56 data bytes
> ^C
> --- bakalao.cnb.uam.es ping statistics ---
> 9 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
> $ ftp ftp.es.embnet.org
> [2 minutes later]
> ^C$

Alas. Same results here:

[kwall]$ ping ftp.es.embnet.org -c 4
PING bakalao.cnb.uam.es (150.244.80.6) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- bakalao.cnb.uam.es ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3014ms

Kurt
--
Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie.

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-26 21:36 Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2004-05-26 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jose,

@ 2004-05-26 14:15     ` José R. Valverde
From: José R. Valverde @ 2004-05-26 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 26 May 2004 07:19:19 -0500
Cornelius Keck <cornelius at mail.keck.cx> wrote:
> I looked at the Berkeley repository last night, and did not
> see some files required to run Sprite directly from disk --
> for instance, the Sparc bootimage (sun4.bt or so) seems to
> be missing, or I'm overlooking it, in my coffein-deprived
> state of mind.

Right you are. I fished the URL from my bookmarks and had a cursory
look before posting my e-mail yesterday.

I just had a look at my CD (which casually happened to be on my
bag today at work), and it certainly didn't match the URL contents
as I remembered.

Indeed, something looks weird to me in the contents of the URL,
which is yet another reason to consider having a copy somewhere.
Since I started all this fuss in the first place, I have just
generated an ISO from the raw CD and am copying now the CD
contents to disk, which are being made available as

	ftp://ftp.es.embnet.org/pub/misc/TUHS/sprite
and
	ftp://ftp.es.embnet.org/pub/misc/TUHS/sprite.iso

as the copying is done. Beware, it is ~530MB.

Sorry for my previous posting suggesting the URL was akin to the CD
contents. It's obvious I was completely wrong and my memory has failed
me (yet once again). I hope posting the CD will make up for the
mistake.

@ 2004-05-26 12:19   ` Cornelius Keck
From: Cornelius Keck @ 2004-05-26 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I looked at the Berkeley repository last night, and did not
see some files required to run Sprite directly from disk --
for instance, the Sparc bootimage (sun4.bt or so) seems to
be missing, or I'm overlooking it, in my coffein-deprived
state of mind.

Anyway, googling "sprite cdrom" returns pointers to
www.rdg.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.cdrom.com/pub/cdrom/cdroms/sprite/...
Conveniently, www.rdg... does not resolve. www.mirror.ac.uk, on
the other hand, does, and Sprite seems to be at that very location.
The stuff underneath contains 4.8M of tar'd stuff. I don't have
the CD (would *love* to get a copy, or the ISO), so I can't
check if the contents are identical to the CD (somehow it does
not sound like it), but the stuff on mirror... only contains
a listing of the files on the CD, not the actual CD contents :(

@ 2004-05-26 10:01     ` José R. Valverde
From: José R. Valverde @ 2004-05-26 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 26 May 2004 17:35:06 +0930
"Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

> >> The distribution is still available at
> >>
> >>       http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/projects/sprite/
> >
> > I have looked everywhere for the cdrom of sprite. I saw a book about
> > it a long time ago at a bookstore and almost bought it. Some very
> > good theory and code was in the book if I remember right.  I don't
> > guess any one would have the Walnut Creek cdrom of sprite that they
> > would convert to an ISO and make available?

Ditto.

The distribution is still at the above URL. What you will find there
is the contents of the CD.

I got the CD from walnut Creek. Later on, after a position move I looked
back in the web for any updates and came to this URL which after comparison
with the CD turned out to have the same contents.

If you want the CD, you can download the URL tree and burn one yourself,
or I may convert the CD to an image and put it somewhere if that's too
onerous.

BTW, under Linux I don't care about DD'ing with block sizes CDs. I just
	cp /dev/cdrom image.iso
Oh well, maybe blocking is lost, but the stream of bytes remains, and
blocking is restored when cdrecord burns the image back. I seem to
remember having done the same in other Unices as well... and even on
VMS.

@ 2004-05-26  8:05   ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2004-05-26  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 25 May 2004 at 23:29:57 -0500, Randy Belk wrote:
>> Would it make sense to add Sprite to the Unix Archives? To me, yes, it was
>> enough UNIX like although it wasn't ATT or BSD derived and it had many
>> advanced features.
>>
>> I had the (small) pleasure to run it on a small number of
>> DECstations back in 1994-1995 out of the freshly published
>> WalnuCreek CD and I still long for some of it features.
>>
>> The distribution is still available at
>>
>>       http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/projects/sprite/
>
> I have looked everywhere for the cdrom of sprite. I saw a book about
> it a long time ago at a bookstore and almost bought it. Some very
> good theory and code was in the book if I remember right.  I don't
> guess any one would have the Walnut Creek cdrom of sprite that they
> would convert to an ISO and make available?

Well, a CD-ROM *is* an ISO, so it doesn't need conversion beyond
dd'ing to some other format (note: CD-ROMs have a 2 kB block size, so
you'll need a bs=4b or larger for it to work at all).

Anyway, I think I have what you're looking for: "Sprite 1984-1993",
published by Walnut Creek CDROM.  I can make a copy for you (I'm
pretty sure there's no copyright issue, but I'll check what's on the
CD before making the copy).  But wouldn't it be easier just to
download the stuff off the net?

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2004-05-26  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
I don't know about everyone else, but you've got my vote. I have a
copy of the same CD here, I haven't been able to boot it, because I
don't have either machine, but still.... And I was able to get my copy
from the same CD maker. (There's a story attached to that as a matter
of fact.)
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net

@ 2004-05-26  4:29 ` Randy Belk
From: Randy Belk @ 2004-05-26  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have looked everywhere for the cdrom of sprite. I saw a book about it a
long time ago at a bookstore and almost bought it. Some very good theory
and code was in the book if I remember right.  I don't guess any one would
have the Walnut Creek cdrom of sprite that they would convert to an ISO
and make available?

> Would it make sense to add Sprite to the Unix Archives? To me, yes, it was
> enough UNIX like although it wasn't ATT or BSD derived and it had many
> advanced features.
>
> I had the (small) pleasure to run it on a small number of DECstations back
> in
> 1994-1995 out of the freshly published WalnuCreek CD and I still long for
> some
> of it features.
>
> The distribution is still available at
>
> 	http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/projects/sprite/

> --
> 	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!
>
> 			    José R. Valverde
>
> 	De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural

* [TUHS] Sprite
@ 2004-05-25  8:40 José R. Valverde
From: José R. Valverde @ 2004-05-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)