The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] DMR's page offline...
@ 2009-05-27  9:14 Angus Robinson
From: Angus Robinson @ 2009-05-27  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

(Sorry this was supposed to go out on my fairhaven account not my work email.
I do apologies if it comes through twice, still learning kmail!!)
Just out of curiosity, why not host some of the stuff on the tuhs website ? (i
could be wrong and their might be some copy write stuff but if  dmr wont
mind ?

Regards,
Angus
On Wednesday 27 May 2009 05:25, Seth Morabito wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know if it's worth mentioning...
> >
> > but it looks like Dennis Ritchie's page is down....
> >
> > http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/
> >
> > At least there is the wayback machine
> > http://web.archive.org/web/20070930200555/http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who
> >/dmr/
>
> Sadly, the Wayback Machine is now not serving up the page either:
>
> "We're sorry, access to http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/  has been
> blocked by the site owner via robots.txt."
>
> Indeed, the host's robots.txt file has this entry in it toward the bottom:

> Disallow: /
>
> so I assume that the site has been re-scraped since coming back up,
> and is now no longer made available by the Internet Archive, according
> to their stated policy on robots.txt exclusions.
>
> Just an oversight, I'm sure, but it shows off the fragility of
> information on the web.  You cannot trust the Internet Archive to make
> information publicly available forever.
>
> -Seth

* [TUHS] DMR's page offline...
@ 2009-05-27  4:25 ` Seth Morabito
From: Seth Morabito @ 2009-05-27  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-05-27  0:54   ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2009-05-27  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> but it looks like Dennis Ritchie's page is down....
>> http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/

[snip]

I tried this and it's a dead link.

Bill

* [TUHS] DMR's page offline...
@ 2009-05-27  0:50     ` Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2009-05-27  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like its all back online now!!
>
> If whomever fixed it is here, thanks!

Hello!
No it is not. I just checked. I also refreshed the screen thinking
that some off screen oracle was caching the pages, and it came up with
the same legend.

We might have to wait another day for this to happen.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."

* [TUHS] DMR's page offline...
@ 2009-05-26 23:29   ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2009-05-26 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-05-26 21:04 ` Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2009-05-26 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Wolfgang Helbig
<helbig at lehre.ba-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> but it looks like Dennis Ritchie's page is down....
>>>
>>> http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/
>
> it is online again. Thanks to whoever put it back to live!
>
> Wolfgang Helbig

Hello!
Actually the site is itself back online but the page or pages are not.
We'll need to wait longer while it regenerates itself.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

@ 2009-05-26 19:14 Wolfgang Helbig
From: Wolfgang Helbig @ 2009-05-26 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

@ 2009-05-26  7:08 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-05-26  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> but it looks like Dennis Ritchie's page is down....
> http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/

Some discussion on the plan9 mailing list suggests its
because of a machine room reorg:
   http://9fans.net/archive/2009/05/148

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* [TUHS] DMR's page offline...
@ 2009-05-26  3:35 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2009-05-26  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems like "http://www.cs.bell-labs.com" is down.  Doesn't seem to be
DMR specific.

But it is cause to reflect on all that bell labs brought us.  What a great
place!  When I was going through grad school, bell labs was _the_ place to
be.  I read their papers, watched what they did, and I knew I didn't have
a chance in hell of getting in there (my Dad did physics and a lot of those
guys did physics and while newtonian mechanics and I got along just fine,
it all went south after that.)

I can tell you that I really wanted to be there.  I suspect there are many
here who feel the same way.

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 10:33:47PM -0400, Jason Stevens wrote:
> I don't know if it's worth mentioning...
>
> but it looks like Dennis Ritchie's page is down....
>
> http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/
>
> At least there is the wayback machine (
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070930200555/http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/
> ) but it just seems odd his page being lost in the void....

---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com

* [TUHS] DMR's page offline...
@ 2009-05-26  2:33 Jason Stevens