The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] DMR's page offline...
@ 2009-05-26 19:14 Wolfgang Helbig
From: Wolfgang Helbig @ 2009-05-26 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

>> but it looks like Dennis Ritchie's page is down....
>>
>> http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/

it is online again. Thanks to whoever put it back to live!

Wolfgang Helbig

* [TUHS] DMR's page offline...
@ 2009-05-27  9:14 Angus Robinson
From: Angus Robinson @ 2009-05-27  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

(Sorry this was supposed to go out on my fairhaven account not my work email.
I do apologies if it comes through twice, still learning kmail!!)
Just out of curiosity, why not host some of the stuff on the tuhs website ? (i
could be wrong and their might be some copy write stuff but if  dmr wont
mind ?

Regards,
Angus
On Wednesday 27 May 2009 05:25, Seth Morabito wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know if it's worth mentioning...
> >
> > but it looks like Dennis Ritchie's page is down....
> >
> > http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/
> >
> > At least there is the wayback machine
> > http://web.archive.org/web/20070930200555/http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who
> >/dmr/
>
> Sadly, the Wayback Machine is now not serving up the page either:
>
> "We're sorry, access to http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/  has been
> blocked by the site owner via robots.txt."
>
> Indeed, the host's robots.txt file has this entry in it toward the bottom:

> Disallow: /
>
> so I assume that the site has been re-scraped since coming back up,
> and is now no longer made available by the Internet Archive, according
> to their stated policy on robots.txt exclusions.
>
> Just an oversight, I'm sure, but it shows off the fragility of
> information on the web.  You cannot trust the Internet Archive to make
> information publicly available forever.
>
> -Seth

* [TUHS] DMR's page offline...
@ 2009-05-26  2:33 Jason Stevens
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason Stevens @ 2009-05-26  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know if it's worth mentioning...

but it looks like Dennis Ritchie's page is down....

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/

At least there is the wayback machine (
http://web.archive.org/web/20070930200555/http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/
) but it just seems odd his page being lost in the void....