The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Original Unix SOSP paper?
@ 2018-09-29 12:03 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-09-29 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Warren wrote:
> I would like to do some work on how the content changed over time.
> The result would be, for me, an interesting paper to read but somehow
> I think the readership base would be limited :-)

"Critical editions", as they are known in literary circles,
garner wide respect if not wide readership. Go for it.

Incidentally the earliest diff programs I know about date
from about 1969. One was by Steve Johnson, specifically
for comparing comdecks--compressed assembler source. The
other arose in service of critical editions.

Doug

* [TUHS] Original Unix SOSP paper?
@ 2018-09-28 23:04 Warren Toomey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2018-09-28 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, I just got an e-mail from a TUHS member who would like to lay their
hands on a copy of the original Unix SOSP paper:

  Anyway, I am trying to get my hands on the original 1972/73 paper on The
  UNIX TIME-SHARING SYSTEM that was published at the SOSP ‘73 Proceedings
  of the fourth ACM symposium on operating system principles.

  I do have the 1974 and 1978 reprint papers.   But, I really want the
  1972/73 original.  I see it in the ACM digital library, but the full
  text PDF prints only the abstract.

Does anybody have a scan of the original SOSP paper?

I'd also like a copy of the 1974 reprint in CACM.

Thanks, Warren