The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 13:19 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-03-24 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Warren Toomey

    > I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use a
    > real tty

Make sure it only prints 10 characters per second, then. (I think TTY's were
10 cps?) R-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 14:23 ` Random832
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Random832 @ 2016-03-24 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016, at 09:19, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Warren Toomey
>
>     > I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use a
>     > real tty
>
> Make sure it only prints 10 characters per second, then. (I think TTY's
> were
> 10 cps?) R-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.

Yeah. 110 baud, 1 start, 2 stop.

I'd looked into this because I was at one point writing a terminal
emulator that would simulate the slowness and the ability to overstrike
characters. I didn't have a suitable font though, and since the slowness
was done at the front end, anything that produced lots of output was
uninterruptible on OSX (worked fine on Linux though

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 14:28 ` Lawrence Stewart
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2016-03-24 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

And the keyboard locks!  You cannot press a key unless the machine has finished transmitting the
previous key.  “two key rollover” was a great advance in its day.
-L

> On 2016, Mar 24, at 9:19 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> From: Warren Toomey
>
>> I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use a
>> real tty
>
> Make sure it only prints 10 characters per second, then. (I think TTY's were
> 10 cps?) R-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.
>
> 	Noel

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 14:40 ` George Ross
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: George Ross @ 2016-03-24 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Make sure it only prints 10 characters per second, then. (I think TTY's were
> 10 cps?) R-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.

And don't forget that carriage-return takes longer than printing individual
characters, so you need to send CR LF to give it time to get back to the
first column while it's feeding a line.  Or CR CR LF just in case.

(Or was that the Olivetti terminal?  Or the DECwriter?  One of those
mechanical things anyway.)
--
George D M Ross MSc PhD CEng MBCS CITP, University of Edinburgh,
School of Informatics, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH8 9AB

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016, at 10:40, George Ross wrote:
> > Make sure it only prints 10 characters per second, then. (I think TTY's were
> > 10 cps?) R-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.
>
> And don't forget that carriage-return takes longer than printing
> individual
> characters, so you need to send CR LF to give it time to get back to the
> first column while it's feeding a line.  Or CR CR LF just in case.
>
> (Or was that the Olivetti terminal?  Or the DECwriter?  One of those
> mechanical things anyway.)

Sending CR LF is independent of the CR delay requirements - the kernel
has options for several kinds of CR delays, IIRC at least one of which
is in proportion to the column you're returning from.

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 15:32   ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2016-03-24 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

George Ross scripsit:

> And don't forget that carriage-return takes longer than printing individual
> characters, so you need to send CR LF to give it time to get back to the
> first column while it's feeding a line.  Or CR CR LF just in case.

It's true that CR takes longer, but you have to send both CR and LF because
CR only returns the carriage whereas LF only feeds lines.  Skipping to the
bottom of a page was done by sending pure LFs, whereas underlining was
achieved (though the 33 had backarrow rather than underscore) by sending
a line of text followed by CR followed by a line of spaces and underscores.
Later, when it was observed that this made the text illegible on glass TTYs,
the order was reversed: spaces and underscores, then CR, then text.

> (Or was that the Olivetti terminal?  Or the DECwriter?  One of those
> mechanical things anyway.)

It may have been the Olivetti.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Consider the matter of Analytic Philosophy.  Dennett and Bennett are well-known.
Dennett rarely or never cites Bennett, so Bennett rarely or never cites Dennett.
There is also one Dummett.  By their works shall ye know them.  However, just as
no trinities have fourth persons (Zeppo Marx notwithstanding), Bummett is hardly
known by his works.  Indeed, Bummett does not exist.  It is part of the function
of this and other e-mail messages, therefore, to do what they can to create him.

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 16:15   ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2016-03-24 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

That sounds like the Teletype model 33, and probably other Teletypes.

If you don't give it the extra .1 second of the LF, the first printed
character will overstrike in the middle of the line you just typed.  And
it will be "bold" because the print head is moving very fast to the left.

Normally you'd want the LF to advance, but if you're trying to underline
by overstriking an underline character, you'd need to pad with a NUL.

The first model 33s I used didn't have an underline.  That character was
a leftward pointing arrow, which I think was intended to visually show
backspace, and some systems (GE BASIC, IIRC) used it as an erase
character.  (Of course, there was no ability to backspace on a 33.)
The caret printed as an upward pointing arrow, hence it's often called
"up arrow".

     Mary Ann

@ 2016-03-24 16:41   ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-03-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-03-24 15:23, Random832 wrote:
> I didn't have a suitable font though,

Check Teleprinter on http://www.zanzig.com/download/

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-24 19:56 ` scj
From: scj @ 2016-03-24 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

This reminds me that someone at BTL threw together a "TSO Shell".  It was
a wrapper around /bin/sh that slept for 10 seconds before executing each
line...

>     > From: Warren Toomey
>
>     > I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use
>     > real tty
>
> Make sure it only prints 10 characters per second, then. (I think TTY's
> were
> 10 cps?) R-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.
>
> 	Noel

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 20:29     ` scj
From: scj @ 2016-03-24 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

All this talk about Teletypes brings up memories.  Model 33 TTY's were
single case and each "key" (which was tubular) had to be pressed down over
1/4 inch to register.  It was a significant effort.  The model 37 TTY's
that came along a few years later were upper and lower case (Unix was one
of the few OS's at the time that could handle both cases smoothly).  But
if you opened the case, what was in it was an astonishing assembly of
cams, levers, and other mechanisms.  When glass TTY's came along, they
took over quickly.

One of my most vivid memories of "paper" TTY's happened at my home, early
in my Unix experience.  The TTY had a box of paper feeding it, and the
output was also allowed to pile up behind it.  This "used" paper served a
critical role.  At the time, Unix had two kinds of files -- small and
large -- and if the system crashed (not uncommon in those days) when your
file was in transition from small to large the contents of the file were
lost.  It was also frequently the case that updates were lost in files
being edited.  So when the system crashed, you would haul up the terminal
output and highlight the changes that you made in case you needed to enter
them again.  This typically took a few minutes, by which time the system
was up again and you could start to reenter your changes.

So one day, I was heavily into editing when my wife, in the kitchen,
needed help with the kids so I went to help her out, leaving the terminal
running.  It was several hours before I was able to get back to it, at
which point I discovered that not only had the system crashed, but our cat
had discovered an alternative "litter box" behind the terminal and made
use of it!  Luckily, it was pretty dry by then, but that didn't help the
smell.  And, so help me, holding my breath I marked the lines that needed
to be reentered...

The other TTY story that surfaced happened to Dennis.  He had one of the
last model 37's as his home terminal, and it was getting quirky.  The
vibration of the mechanism occasionally caused a blank space to be
generated that he hadn't typed.  In those days, it was common to delete
the .o files after compiling because disc space was precious.  So Dennis
typed
"rm *.o" and Unix replied ".o not found".

@ 2016-03-25 12:54       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-03-25 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, scj at yaccman.com wrote:

> The other TTY story that surfaced happened to Dennis.  He had one of the
> last model 37's as his home terminal, and it was getting quirky.  The
> vibration of the mechanism occasionally caused a blank space to be
> generated that he hadn't typed.  In those days, it was common to delete
> the .o files after compiling because disc space was precious.  So Dennis
> typed "rm *.o" and Unix replied ".o not found".

Ah; an oldie but a goodie...  And who hasn't done that?  To this day, I
still check the "rm ..." command before hitting CR, 30 or so years later.

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-25 21:27   ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2016-03-25 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24/03/2016 16:28, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
> And the keyboard locks!  You cannot press a key unless the machine has finished transmitting the
> previous key.  “two key rollover” was a great advance in its day.

In the late 1970s or early 1980s I worked over a summer in a repair shop
for equipment manufactured by the German company Kienzle Apparate GmbH.
Their keyboards were a marvel of electromechanical engineering. When a
key was pressed the remaining keys were *physically locked*, preventing
a second key from getting pressed. This was supposed to provide the
operators with tactile feedback when they accidentally pressed more than
one key. Maybe gratuitous over-engineering, such as this, contributed to
the company's decline and the eventual takeover by Manessmann (1981) and
then DEC (1991).

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-25 21:56     ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2016-03-25 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr> wrote:
 |In the late 1970s or early 1980s I worked over a summer in a repair shop
 |for equipment manufactured by the German company Kienzle Apparate GmbH.
 |Their keyboards were a marvel of electromechanical engineering. When a
 |key was pressed the remaining keys were *physically locked*, preventing
 |a second key from getting pressed. This was supposed to provide the
 |operators with tactile feedback when they accidentally pressed more than
 |one key. Maybe gratuitous over-engineering, such as this, contributed to
 |the company's decline and the eventual takeover by Manessmann (1981) and

I think you mean Mannesmann.  (But man-eat-man is indeed nice,
though the hectical meltdowns and incorporations of entire
companies for a little bit of revenue for unknown reasons is
pretty common.  Maybe cutting off history might be an idea, the
Khmer Rouge went the same direction, did they.  (Really correct
would be manissmann/manißmann, then, as in man-eat!-man...))

 |then DEC (1991).

I wish Christians a nice Easter feast.

--steffen

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-26 21:04       ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2016-03-26 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I picked up a Model 37 (ASR) for nothing at one point.   It was sitting in my kitchen and amusingly it was probably the only terminal that I didn’t have to turn on the nl->crlf mapping in terminal driver.   It also handled all those ESC and SI/SO codes that nroff put out for default to do partial line spacing and shifting from the normal roman to the greek letter typebox.    I also liked the fact that it used the full RS-232 modem control lines.   When the modem came online and asserted DSR it then turned on the motor.   When carrier detect came up a big green PROCEED light lit up.   The paper tape unit was a huge side car unlike the little integral one in the model 33.     At 150 baud it was really more of a curiosity at the point I had it.

 ||the company's decline and the eventual takeover by Manessmann (1981) and
 |
 |I think you mean Mannesmann.  (But man-eat-man is indeed nice,
 |though the hectical meltdowns and incorporations of entire
 |companies for a little bit of revenue for unknown reasons is
 |pretty common.  Maybe cutting off history might be an idea, the
 |Khmer Rouge went the same direction, did they.  (Really correct
 |would be manissmann/manißmann, then, as in man-eat!-man...))

As opposed to Man-it!-man, a.k.a. "Manify it!, Fellow." that is to
say.

 |I wish Christians a nice Easter feast.

More that is: the intelligent sheep waits with the descent of her
children until thereafter.  (The ones around here do. ^.^)
Ciao.

--steffen

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-25 20:13             ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2016-03-25 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you!  This program is perfect.

On 2016-03-24 20:57, Charles Anthony wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Mary Ann Horton <mah at mhorton.net>
> wrote:
>> Is there an emulator for the 132 column line printer anywhere?
>> I'd like to take a file (complete with FORTRAN carriage control) and
> turn it
>> into an image (PNG or whatever), supporting overstrikes.
>>

> Maybe start with
> http://urbanjost.altervista.org/LIBRARY/libCLI/EXE/ASA/html/asa2pdf_doc.html
>
> -- Charles

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-25  5:59     ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-03-25  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-03-25 03:18, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Warren Toomey wrote:
>> I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use a
>> real tty; I only used glass ttys (ADM3a, VT100s and so on).
>
> My first time was the ASR-33 on the mighty PDP-8...

Reminds me of WinEight, my first time on an emulator that looked
like an ASR-33 http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Software/WinEight.htm

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-25  3:57           ` Charles Anthony
From: Charles Anthony @ 2016-03-25  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Mary Ann Horton <mah at mhorton.net> wrote:
> Is there an emulator for the 132 column line printer anywhere?
> I'd like to take a file (complete with FORTRAN carriage control) and turn
it
> into an image (PNG or whatever), supporting overstrikes.

Maybe start with
http://urbanjost.altervista.org/LIBRARY/libCLI/EXE/ASA/html/asa2pdf_doc.html

-- Charles
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-25  3:43     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2016-03-25  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 25 March 2016 at 13:18:52 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>> I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to use a
>> real tty; I only used glass ttys (ADM3a, VT100s and so on).
>
> My first time was the ASR-33 on the mighty PDP-8...

Here too.  And my co-student Dave Snell had prepared me for it: "You
won't *believe* how fast this thing (tty) is!"  Even then (30 October
1969, the day the first packet went over the ARPAnet) I was
underwhelmed.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2016-03-25  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an emulator for the 132 column line printer anywhere?
I'd like to take a file (complete with FORTRAN carriage control) and turn it
into an image (PNG or whatever), supporting overstrikes.

On my bucket list is to convert my collection of image tapes from the
1970s, intended to be printed on an lpr, cut into strips, and taped
together, into images suitable for a laser printer or a normal monitor.

What font did a typical IBM mainframe printer use, anyway?

     Mary Ann

@ 2016-03-25  2:18   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-03-25  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, Warren Toomey wrote:

> This might be a strange request, but does anybody know of a "Teletype
> simulator", a graphical program that acts like Telnet but prints
> characters in a typewriter-ish font and "clacks" when they are printed.

There are no such things as strange requests here :-)  Anyway, I've just
posted a request to the RTTY list; I'll post back any results.

@ 2016-03-24 21:39       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-03-24 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-03-24 20:36 ` scj
From: scj @ 2016-03-24 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know the author?  I doubt they were at Murray Hill, since
nobody (with the possible exception of Mike Lesk) knew enough about TSO to
be so accurate...

> Steve Johnson:
>
>   This reminds me that someone at BTL threw together a "TSO Shell".  It
> was
>   a wrapper around /bin/sh that slept for 10 seconds before executing each
>   line...
>
> =====
>
> And after each command exited.  Discarding anything typed ahead
> during the sleep, of course.
>
> And printed all-upper-case IEFCRAPNONSENSE messages even when a
> command exited successfully.
>
> I think I still have a copy somewhere.  It dates from the 6/e era,
> so it would need a lot of work to compile and run on a modern system.
> Occasionally I think of converting it to ISO and POSIX even though
> that seems contradictory somehow.
>
> Norman Wilson
> Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 20:24 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2016-03-24 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mar 24, 2016, at 1:12 PM, Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:
>
> I think I still have a copy somewhere.  It dates from the 6/e era,
> so it would need a lot of work to compile and run on a modern system.
> Occasionally I think of converting it to ISO and POSIX even though
> that seems contradictory somehow.

A POSIX version that cranked out IEFBASHNONSENSE when run on Linux would be amusing ...

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 20:12 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-03-24 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Johnson:

@ 2016-03-24 16:37   ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2016-03-24 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-03-24 10:01, Warren Toomey wrote:
> This might be a strange request, but does anybody know of a "Teletype
> simulator", a graphical program that acts like Telnet but prints
> characters
> in a typewriter-ish font and "clacks" when they are printed.

I hacked a terminal emulator to look like it once.
Fired up the browser running javascript, running jor1k,
running linux, running simh, running a v6 install.
http://dugo.home.xs4all.nl/ksr33.png for the result.

I kept the pipes that shouldn't be there on a
standard print head. Speed was controlled by
simh settings.

I reverted to the standard jor1k emulator for
the v6 demo[1] because I have no experience or
other reference for exactly how a KSR-33
exactly works and lacked the bandwidth to
even implement overstrike.

I saw one in a contest that emulated the sounds
and the moving parts at:
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=41373
with source at:
https://bitbucket.org/slash_slashware/jsteletype/src

[1]
http://www.oldbsd.org/unixv6install.html
watch out, it is slow and runs on a limited set
of browsers.

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 13:36 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2016-03-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Btw. It does not emulate the smell of small machine oil
or the mess of ppt punch chaff on the floor

Yes. I saw Clem's mail just as I was about to recommend
placing a small dish of machine oil beside the simulator.
Alas, it seems I missed out on the chad experience. Data was
regularly imported to the PDP-7 by ppt, but rarely exported.
Night-owl Ken must have taken some ppt backups, evidence of
which the midnight janitors whisked away.

Doug

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24 11:01       ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2016-03-24 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Btw. It does not emulate the smell of small machine oil or the mess of ppt punch chaff on the floor

😉
Sent from my iPhone

@ 2016-03-24 11:00     ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2016-03-24 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-03-24 10:21   ` Pierre DAVID
From: Pierre DAVID @ 2016-03-24 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 07:01:31PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 05:28:20AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>> We've got the B compiler working.
>
>And now we're working on ed, which assembles and runs, but has bugs.
>
>This might be a strange request, but does anybody know of a "Teletype
>simulator", a graphical program that acts like Telnet but prints characters
>in a typewriter-ish font and "clacks" when they are printed.
>
>I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what it was like to
>use a real tty; I only used glass ttys (ADM3a, VT100s and so on).
>
>Cheers, Warren
>
>P.S Linux/BSD version preferred of course.

It's not exactly what you asked for, but you can try:

     http://www.masswerk.at/google60/

Keyboard and printer "clak" as you wished, and there is a typewriter-ish
font.

Pierre

P.S.: no need for a sorter, with this program.

* [TUHS] Teletype simulator?
@ 2016-03-24  9:01 ` Warren Toomey
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-03-24  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)