The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Fwd: [SIGCIS-Members] Need help identifying a photo
@ 2016-01-27 18:17 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2016-01-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

No question about it. That is Ken Thompson. I saw him just like that
dozens, perhaps hundreds, of times in that very seat.

doug

* [TUHS] Fwd: [SIGCIS-Members] Need help identifying a photo
@ 2016-01-27 19:57 ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2016-01-27 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the replies, I've forwarded them to Paul.

On 1/27/16 10:17 AM, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> No question about it. That is Ken Thompson. I saw him just like that
> dozens, perhaps hundreds, of times in that very seat.
>
> doug

* [TUHS] Fwd: [SIGCIS-Members] Need help identifying a photo
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-27 22:10   ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2016-01-27 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at  9:11:45 -0800, Al Kossow wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:46:45 +0000, Paul Ceruzzi wrote:
>
>> There is a famous photo on Wikimedia commons, of what purports to be Ken
>> Thompson & Dennis Ritchie in front of a PDP-11, presumably working on
>> UNIX. The problem is that the seated person doesn?t look like either of
>> them. And he is clean-shaven. Could it be Bjarne Stroustrup?
>>
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ken_Thompson_(sitting)_and_Dennis_Ritchie_at_PDP-11_(2876612463).jpg

Amusingly, the summary information for that link stated "Ken Thompson
(sitting)-&-Bjarne Stroustrup at PDP-11".  I've corrected it.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
From: John Cowan @ 2016-01-27 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al Kossow scripsit:

> OK, the thing that threw me was KT without glasses.

From Dorothy L. Sayers, _The Five Red Herrings_:

    The ticket-collector on the train was not helpful.
    [...] Certainly he had seen nobody remotely resembling the
    portrait of Gowan [a suspect with a very full black beard].
    Was there anybody at all like what Gowan would be if clean-shaven?
    Well, that was asking something, that was.  Had the Inspector
    any idea what a 'edge-'og would look like without its spikes?
    No, nor he didn't suppose nobody had, neither.  He was a
    ticket-collector, not a puzzle-picture expert. [...]

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Winter:  MIT, / Keio, INRIA, / Issue lots of Drafts.
So much more to understand! / Might simplicity return?
                (A "tanka", or extended haiku)

* [TUHS] Fwd: [SIGCIS-Members] Need help identifying a photo
@ 2016-01-27 18:34   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-01-27 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Certainly looks like Ken without glasses just like first met him many years
ago,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> Can someone here ID the mystery person?
>
> Embarrassingly, CHM has the person misidentified as well.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Fwd: [SIGCIS-Members] Need help identifying a photo
@ 2016-01-27 18:23       ` Marc Rochkind
From: Marc Rochkind @ 2016-01-27 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's exactly what Ken looked like in the early 1970s when I first met him.

--Marc Rochkind

@ 2016-01-27 17:55     ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2016-01-27 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-01-27 17:52     ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2016-01-27 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-01-27 17:30   ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2016-01-27 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 12:11, Al Kossow wrote:

> Can someone here ID the mystery person?
>
> Embarrassingly, CHM has the person misidentified as well.

The same picture is at
https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/picture.html, with no suggestion
that it's anyone else.

* [TUHS] Fwd: [SIGCIS-Members] Need help identifying a photo
@ 2016-01-27 17:26   ` Ronald Natalie
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2016-01-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I’m not sure it isn’t right.   The guy standing up is definitely Dennis.  The hairline looks right for Ken in “the day”.

* [TUHS] Fwd: [SIGCIS-Members] Need help identifying a photo
       [not found] <447612405A15694BAA260AEC80EB05393381B25D@SI-MSEDAG01.US.SINET.SI.EDU>
@ 2016-01-27 17:11 ` Al Kossow
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Al Kossow @ 2016-01-27 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)