The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
@ 2008-12-10  0:00 Ross Tucker
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Ross Tucker @ 2008-12-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,
(This has got to be the strangest cross-post I've ever done.)

I have just taken a bet from a friend to challenge my geekiness. I was
telling him about my love of Vintage Technology and he proposed that I
combine two hitherto separate hobbies and see what happens. The
topics: the DEC PDP-11 minicomputer (vintage: 1970s) and vacuum-tube
ham radios (vintage: 1960s). I do sincerely apologize for
cross-posting, but I am rather younger than either of these
technologies (vintage: 1984) and this seems like a monumental
challenge.

My question for y'all: how could I possibly design+build a project
that uses both of these technologies? My thought is to port some radio
receiver Digital Signal Processing (DSP) application into PDP-11
assembler, compile and run it via emulator on my PC, then use it with
the vacuum-tube regenerative receiver that I built a few years ago...
Does anybody know if PDP-11 UNIXes even had the capability for a
"sound card"? Or, to get ambitious, I would LOVE to design some
interface circuitry between PDP-11 digital circuitry and vacuum-tube
electronics... The challenges are legion: the tube side of the circuit
operates around 350V DC levels with radio-frequency (RF) signals at 7
MHz (almost the clock rate of some PDP-11s!) and I don't have the DEC
Handbooks, but I'm pretty sure that even those ancient pre-TTL
circuits operate below 350V!

So... any, er, "ideas"?

Best regards,
Ross Tucker

* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
@ 2008-12-10 18:09 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2008-12-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (This has got to be the strangest cross-post I've ever done.)
You've got that right :P

> I do sincerely apologize for
> cross-posting, but I am rather younger than either of these
> technologies (vintage: 1984) and this seems like a monumental
> challenge.
Well, several projects can be thought off in this scenario, but
if you want to keep it mildly useful, try to do something with
audio tubes connected to an '11 (OK, here's a spoiler: "you'll
make a PDP11-driven music player using a tube-based audio
backend"), or such.  You could go into analog computing as
well, but that can be kinda hairy.

This more or less only requires building a usable D/A converter
on the '11, which then interfaces to the tubes.  I'd use a DMA-
based 16-bit DA controller.

Cheers,

Fred (smiling @ his nano-11 system running Ultrix, all the size of
      a matchbox..)

* [pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface
@ 2008-12-11 18:16 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2008-12-11 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was bored, and ported my version of SimH (which is an older
version, but with some stuff ripped out, and other stuff put
in) to my operating system for my ARM-based MCU board.  It
now "acts" like a regular 11/83 when turned on, and will
happily boot Ultrix-11 off the CF card :)

Not as fast as running on a peecee, not half as much fun as
running a real '11, but hey, it DOES fit into my backpack.

--f