The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
@ 2023-09-16  1:20 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2023-09-16  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

To the Attention of Warren Toomey (and all who stay in his
hotel):

I don't care enough to weigh in on any issues that don't
interest me, but I am the most important person in the
world, and whatever I say goes, so you better listen or
you'll be sorry.

It is my very important opinion that only things I want
to hear about should be discussed on this mailing list.
I want to hear about Unix and awk, but not about perl.
No one must talk about any shell except Ken's original.
The sun scares me, forcing me to hack all night and sleep
all day (never mind the malicious stories that I press
wild flowers); therefore there must never be any mention
of Sun Microsystems or Solaris.  I am also worried that
a comet will fall on my house and damage my Twinkie
stockpile, so no discussion of the VAX-11/750 is allowed,
nor of work done by the Bell Labs Computing Science
Research Center during the 1980s when much of their
work was done on systems of that model, which were even
named (ewwwww!!!) after comets.

Any mention of non-nerd-approved(TM) subjects is also
forbidden, including Agricola, ferrets, mimes (which are
even scarier than comets!), Lions (and Tigers and Bears),
lurgi, csv files, and gannets (they wet their nests).
Not to mention Bazonka.

I hereby direct the moderators of this list, who must
obey my every command, to terminate with extreme prejudice
anyone who dares even to think of violating these rules.

Viva la revolution!

Yeliz Gardinovich Bimmler (Mrs)
Port Morton, Alabama, CUS

* [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
@ 2023-09-16 17:52     ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2023-09-16 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold, tuhs

On 9/14/23 20:48, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:

> Mary Ann Horton <mah@mhorton.net> wrote:
>
> Is it being merged into the Gnu awk ...
> Also mentioned is that the code is already in gawk's master
> branch and that I will make a release in the fall, I hope.
>
>> ... that will wind up in Red Hat awk?
>> Please please?
> I have no control over that. Sorry.  However, gawk is easy to
> build and install from tarball, or if you're desperate, directly
> from Git.  Be in touch privately if you want more info.

This is wonderful news. Red Hat uses GNU awk, so it seems likely it will
(eventually) appear there.

I'm aware I could compile it myself, but this is for a professional use
on the systems running a power grid, and even if I were to take the leap
to install an open source version instead of the official RHEL awk,
there are government regulations making that a bad idea.

Thanks,

     Mary Ann

* [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
@ 2023-09-16 17:32           ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2023-09-16 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Thank you all for the kind words about me and my sig.

I'll add there are parts of this book that focus on UNIX history,
although in my next memoir (not started yet) the tech will be the
primary focus.

Thanks,

/Mary Ann Horton/ (she/her/ma'am)
maryannhorton.com <https://maryannhorton.com>

“This is a great book about an amazing journey of a woman
who went through hell to become the person she is today.”
* - Monica Helms, creator of the transgender flag*

"Brave and Important - Don’t miss this wonderful book!"
* - Laura L. Engel, Intl. Memoir Writers Assn.*

       Available on Amazon and bn.com. Audiobook on Google Play.

	<https://www.amazon.com/Trailblazer-Lighting-Transgender-Equality-Corporate-ebook/dp/B0B8F2BR9B>

On 9/15/23 13:17, Warren Toomey via TUHS wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 05:09:14AM -0400, KenUnix wrote:
>>     Yes. I normally keep quiet but what does transgender flags have to do
>>     with AWK or Unix??
>>     Let's at least stay with what the purpose of this group is.
>>     -Ken
> I rarely weigh in on things, but I think this one is important.
>
> The history of Unix is not just of the technology, but also of the
> people involved, their successes and travails, and the communities
> that they built. Mary Ann referenced a book about her life and
> journey in her e-mail's .sig. She is a very important figure in the
> history of Unix and I think her .sig is entirely relevant to TUHS.
>
> Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-09-15 21:08         ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-09-15 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KenUnix; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, Sep 15, 2023, 10:09 AM KenUnix <ken.unix.guy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. I normally keep quiet but what does transgender flags have to do with
> AWK or Unix??

Why do you care? It's none of your business. We have all kinds of other
signs. Why complain about someone writing a book about her life. She
exists. She has an interesting story. Don't like it, leave rather than
posting homophobic slurs.

Warner

Warner

@ 2023-09-15 20:17         ` Warren Toomey via TUHS
From: Warren Toomey via TUHS @ 2023-09-15 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KenUnix; +Cc: tuhs, Warren Toomey

@ 2023-09-15 20:09           ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2023-09-15 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 4:04 PM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> Are you really commenting upon the contents of someone's signature block?

My view has always been that it's okay to comment on them (within reason)
but not okay to complain about them.  In a .sig block, people can talk
about whatever they want, as long as the block itself is not BUAFed or
otherwise warlord-worthy.

* [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
@ 2023-09-15 20:04         ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2023-09-15 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023, KenUnix wrote:

> Yes. I normally keep quiet but what does transgender flags have to do
> with AWK or Unix??

Are you really commenting upon the contents of someone's signature block?

> Let's at least stay with what the purpose of this group is.

Perhaps you could try following your own advice...

-- Dave

* [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
@ 2023-09-15 11:24         ` Dan Cross
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Cross @ 2023-09-15 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KenUnix; +Cc: tuhs

On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 5:09 AM KenUnix <ken.unix.guy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. I normally keep quiet but what does transgender flags have to do with AWK or Unix??

Several years ago, on this list, someone wrote a lengthy post about
women in software. It was not complimentary; the person was some kind
of "Men's Rights" activist. I stayed quiet at the time, and I regret
that; I'm not going to stay quiet now.

To directly answer your question: Mary Ann is an important figure in
the history of Unix. Mary Ann is transgender. Mary Ann has written a
book about her pioneering experience as a transgender woman in
corporate America at a time when that was rare (or, rather, not openly
discussed). Mary Ann's .sig contains information about her book. That
appears to be what you are responding to: her .sig; not the content of
her message, just the signature.

> Let's at least stay with what the purpose of this group is.

Indeed. Let's. It's not spoon-fooding tech support to people who can't
be bothered to figure it out for themselves, or do even a modicum of
work researching things on their own. Nor is it writing transphobic
non-sequiturs in response to .sigs. You didn't need to respond, at
all: you could have just moved on. But you chose not to.

Perhaps you should go elsewhere.

        - Dan C.

@ 2023-09-15  9:09       ` KenUnix
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: KenUnix @ 2023-09-15  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

--
End of line
JOB TERMINATED

* [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
@ 2023-09-15  3:54     ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-09-15  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mah, ajayshah; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2023-09-15  3:49   ` Ajay Shah
From: Ajay Shah @ 2023-09-15  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Ann Horton; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2023-09-15  3:48   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-09-15  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, mah

Hi Mary Anne.

Mary Ann Horton <mah@mhorton.net> wrote:

> Which Git repo?  The CSV code is a game changer for awk, otherwise I
> need a hokey python script.

https://github.com/onetrueawk/awk. This was mentioned in the
note you quoted...

@ 2023-09-15  1:40 ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2023-09-15  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2023-09-13 21:28 arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-09-13 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2023-09-11 13:52     ` Stuff Received
From: Stuff Received @ 2023-09-11 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2023-09-11 01:59, markus schnalke wrote:
> Hoi,
>
> thanks a lot for your helpful answer. This was the kind of answer
> I was wishing to get.

More tidbits here: https://www.awk.dev/

S.

@ 2023-09-11  5:59   ` markus schnalke
From: markus schnalke @ 2023-09-11  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2023-09-10 19:59   ` Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2023-09-10 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Thanks, both for this message and for all
your hard work!

* [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
@ 2023-09-10 19:41 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-09-10 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, meillo

@ 2023-09-09 20:13 ` christopher fujino