The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] UNIX Influence on Teletype and Vice Versa
@ 2023-09-18 18:07 segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-09-18 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Good morning folks, something I've been pondering on this morning is the potential close connection between UNIX development and Teletype interfacing designs as the 70s and 80s marched on.  Seeing as Teletype was a part of the Bell System (albeit a little less obviously in marketing than it's kin), was there any sort of official rapport between folks working on UNIX and those designing subsequent Teletypes, Dataspeed terminals, etc?

For instance, would there have been any influence an up-and-coming Teletype design would've had on developments in the UNIX tty drivers, or would particulars of UNIX tty drivers "rub off" on specifics of terminals being developed?  Or were those units so distant from one another that there would've been little cross-talk between teams?  Granted, an argument could be made for specifically avoiding any significant knowledge of internals, that way UNIX tty driver folks don't potentially paint into a Teletype corner and vice versa.  Still, with the tightly integrated nature of Bell System R&D, manufacturing, supply, etc. it would be very "Bell System" for there to be some sort of interplay between Teletype and UNIX.

Anyone got the scoop on whether Teletype hardware enjoyed a special place in UNIX tty-interfacing considerations or vice versa, or if they were just two relatively insular developments from one another in the same general field from the same big umbrella organization?

- Matt G.

* [TUHS] Re: UNIX Influence on Teletype and Vice Versa
@ 2023-09-18 18:21 ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2023-09-18 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

The thing most people know in the (computer) world as a teletype is a
model 33 which really UNIX was unaffected by (other than dealing with
the limited character set) and UNIX didn’t influence.   For those with a
model 37 (I had one in my house for a while picked up surplus from Rocky
Flats), you knew of its influence on UNIX.   This was a unit that the
line terminator was indeed NEWLINE (^J) rather than carriage return.  It
dealt with all the ESC 8 and 9 and the like that nroff put out by
default and th SI/SO to shift from the regular to the greek character
box.

The mechanical teletypes largely predated UNIX having the ability to
change anything.

That doesn’t mean that UNIX didn’t affect the TELETYPE brand.   The 5620
DMD bore the Teletype brand but came straight from BellLabs Blit (aka
Jerry) work.

* [TUHS] Re: UNIX Influence on Teletype and Vice Versa
@ 2023-09-18 18:27   ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2023-09-18 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Natalie; +Cc: segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On 9/18/23, Ronald Natalie <ron@ronnatalie.com> wrote:
> The thing most people know in the (computer) world as a teletype is a
> model 33 which really UNIX was unaffected by (other than dealing with
> the limited character set) and UNIX didn’t influence.   For those with a
> model 37 (I had one in my house for a while picked up surplus from Rocky
> Flats), you knew of its influence on UNIX.   This was a unit that the
> line terminator was indeed NEWLINE (^J) rather than carriage return.  It
> dealt with all the ESC 8 and 9 and the like that nroff put out by
> default and th SI/SO to shift from the regular to the greek character
> box.

Most importantly for Unix, I would think, the Teletype model 37 had
both uppercase and lowercase capability.  Essential for a
case-sensitive environment such as Unix.  The model 33 was
uppercase-only.

-Paul W.

* [TUHS] Re: UNIX Influence on Teletype and Vice Versa
@ 2023-09-22  4:57   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2023-09-22  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, 21 Sep 2023, Larry McVoy wrote:

> This is perhaps silly, but I really wanted to meet Joe Ossanna because
> of troff.  It was not meant to be.  My dad told me you aren't dead until
> they stop talking about you.  Good to see that Joe is still with us.

I still remember being blown away when I encountered ROFF on Edition 5;
like, I didn't know that you could use a computer for that sort of
thing...

(Yeah, I quickly discovered that Unix was first and foremost a typesetting
system after I read the Bell Labs paper.)

-- Dave

* [TUHS] Re: UNIX Influence on Teletype and Vice Versa
@ 2023-09-22  1:14 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2023-09-22  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy; +Cc: TUHS main list

--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat

* [TUHS] Re: UNIX Influence on Teletype and Vice Versa
@ 2023-09-22  1:08 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2023-09-22  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2023-09-18 20:02 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2023-09-18 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Joe Ossanna worked diligently to see that WECo's ASCII teletype really
would come to market and would meet the needs of Unix. He famously
estimated that Bell Labs alone was a sizable market: 777 machines. He
also leaned on WECo to make the return key issue a single newline. And
he specified what non-ascii characters would fill out the 128
positions on the Bell Labs type boxes. This requires encoding 7-bit
ASCII in 8 bits. I don't know whether WECo had been planning to do so
anyway.

Doug