The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] shared memory on Unix
@ 2017-02-01 14:18 Paul Ruizendaal
From: Paul Ruizendaal @ 2017-02-01 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

The presence of some sort of shared memory facility in the
BBN V6 Unix kernel got me thinking about the origins of
shared memory on Unix.

I had a vague recollection that primordial versions were present
in either PWB or CB3, but a quick glance at the source indicates
that this is not correct.

What are the origins of shared memory on Unix, i.e. what came
before mmap() and SysV IPC? Was the BBN kernel the first to
implement such a facility on Unix?

Paul

* [TUHS] shared memory on Unix
@ 2017-02-01 19:44 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-02-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: "Steve Johnson"

    > The meetings went on for over a year, but _I NEVER MET WITH THE SAME
    > PERSON TWICE!_ It seemed that the only thing the marketing group knew
    > how to do was reorganize the marketing group...

Shades of SI:Electric-Marketing (I _think_ that was its name) on the Symbolics
LISP Machine...

(For those who never had the joy of seeing this, it randomly drew a bunch of
boxes with people in them on the screen in a hierarchy, connected them, and
then started randomly moving the boxes around... I wonder if the source
still exists - or, better yet, a video of it running? Probably not, alas.)

       Noel