The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] The origin of /home
@ 2018-09-27 15:33 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-09-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Dan Cross

    > particular in sites with lots of users like universities and
    > production-focused corporate groups

The existence of /usr, /usr/bin, /etc, /lib, etc dates back to the Research
group at Bell, so I don't think we can look to these other environments for an
explanation.

    > "Hmm. Well, we've got space in /usr: create /usr/bin

I seem to recall reading (don't recall where, OTTOMY) an explanation for the
creation of /usr/bin, and I think it was performance related; IIRC the issue
was that they wanted to keep the directory size down (both for disk block
caching, and search time, reasons). Or maybe that was later on, and it was
originally created for 'user-maintained' ancillary programs (another vague
memory)?

    > The more intriguing possibility from the antiquarian point of view is
    > whether someone coined "/home" and then THAT led to the rise of the "home
    > directory" nomenclature.

My memory is that the term "home directory" predates /home - perhaps on other
OS's such as TOPS-20, but I don't have time to research that. (I did look
quickly in the Multics docs, and it has 'working directory', i.e. current dir
- but it refers to the home dir as 'original WD', i.e. the WD at the time of
login.)

       Noel

* Re: [TUHS] The origin of /home
@ 2018-10-10 15:26 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-10-10 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Norman Wilson

    > Unfortunately all the quick hacks and poorly-considered tweaks of the
    > past have long since been cast in stone by widespread convention

There seem to be two kind of people in the world; i) those who cannot bring
themselves to change anything, and ii) those who change all sort of things,
usually with no good reason (perhaps just to be different).

The world of Unix seems to be thickly stocked with both.

    Noel

* Re: [TUHS] The origin of /home
@ 2018-10-10 14:43 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2018-10-10 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Dave Horsfall:

  Before I started using /home (Slowaris had yet to appear), I used /u/*
  instead (I didn't want to pollute /usr with home directories).

===

I'm late to the party, but I'll chime in too:

The first UNIX system I ever used, ca. 1980, had users' home
directories in /u.  I suspect it was that way (as suggested
in some earlier messages) just for storage management: separate
file system from /usr.

I've carried /u around with me ever since to other systems
I've set up from scratch, except in my home environment
where I've made a radical departure: everything that isn't
part of the base OS is in a tree rooted at /con, so home
directories are /con/u.  /con was `constant,' inspired
by /var, meaning stuff that should be preserved when the OS
is reinstalled--everything else should come from installation
media or configuration management.

But in any case there's nothing especially novel about moving
users' home directories out of /usr, and since it's UNIX,
nothing that says there has to be any standard at all.  On
the systems I am currently paid to help run, most users have
home-directory names like /h/u12/c4/00/c4ntest.  There is no
attempt to glue together a single name hierarchy; we have in
excess of 17000 users so that would be something of a mess.
(I guess enormous directories aren't the resource pigs they
used to be, though symlinks are just as bad as they have
ever been.)  There's the ~user shell syntax for those who like
that; I don't, but I have a little shell script in my personal
bin directory so I can do things like ls `home c4ntest`; it all
just works.

I once thought of writing a paper entitled `/usr and /etc
considered harmful,' in which I would have proposed:

a.  It no longer matters a whit whether the (real) root file
system can fit into a 5MB slice of the disk or the like, so
just merge everything that spilled into /usr in the tiny-disk
days back into the root where it belongs.
b.  /etc is largely junk.  Executables have long since moved
into /sbin.  Pretty much everything else that's there belongs
(according to the original scheme, not the latter-day complications
inflicted by those who didn't understand) in /lib.

Unfortunately all the quick hacks and poorly-considered tweaks
of the past have long since been cast in stone by widespread
convention, so it's fruitless to try to clean any of this up.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] The origin of /home
@ 2018-09-28  2:39 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-09-28  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jnc, tuhs

> I couldn't find any use of 'home' in the V6 documentation.

$HOME was set by default in v7. It probably dates from the
advent of enviroment variables.

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] The origin of /home
@ 2018-09-27 23:14 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-09-27 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > My memory is that the term "home directory" predates /home - perhaps on
    > other OS's such as TOPS-20, but I don't have time to research that.

Well, I looked at the "Introduction to MIT-XX" (a TOPS-20 machine), and it
also used the terms "logged-in directory" (home dir) and "connected directory"
(current dir).

I couldn't find any use of 'home' in the V6 documentation.

I _did_ find "home directory" in the ITS documentation; the oldest doc file I
found it in was dated 5/25/79. If ITS was the source, not sure how it spread -
maybe via EMACS?

       Noel

* Re: [TUHS] The origin of /home
@ 2018-09-27 14:31 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-09-27 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Jon Forrest

    > Another reason why the home directory part of /usr was made into /home
    > is because after doing so, it was possible to mount /usr read-only, and
    > supply it from a server.

The real issue is that /usr contained stuff which wasn't true 'user data' -
e.g. /usr/bin. The reasons for that must have seemed good at the time it
started, but it was IMO a mistake. (Disgression about partitions, physical
packs, etc elided for now.)

       Noel

* [TUHS] The origin of /home
@ 2018-09-27 12:08 Cág
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Cág @ 2018-09-27 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi,

The earliest I've found to be in the FHS from '94. Are there any earlier
examples of a home directory being at /home instead of /usr/$(user)? Are
there any current Unix systems that don't use /home by default (except
OSX)? Does anybody here do it intentionally? Also, what was the
rationale of moving the directory to /home?

Thanks!

--
caóc