The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Request: Unix Photos, scanned ephemera, anecdotes, stories, interviews
@ 2018-06-23  5:32 Warren Toomey
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2018-06-23  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, I've had a fair bit of positive feedback for my TUHS work. In reality
I'm just the facilitator, collecting the stuff that you send me and keeping
the mailing list going.

I think we've captured nearly all we can of the 1970s Unix in terms of
software. After that it becomes commercial, but I am building up the
"Hidden Unix" archive to hold that. Just wish I could open that up ...

What we haven't done a good job yet is to collect other things: photos,
stories, anecdotes, scanned ephemera.

Photos & scanned things: I'm very happy to collect these, but does anybody
know of an existing place that accepts (and makes available online) photos
and scanned ephemera? They are a bit out of scope for bitsavers as far as
I can tell, but I'm happy to be corrected. Al? Other comments here?

Stories & anecdotes: definitely type them in & e-mail them in and/or e-mail
them to me if you want me just to preserve them. There is the Unix wiki I
started here: https://wiki.tuhs.org/doku.php?id=start, but maybe there is
already a better place. Gunkies?

Interviews: Sometimes it's easier to glean stories & knowledge with interviews.
I've never tried this but perhaps it's time. Who is up to have an audio
interview? I'll worry about the technical details eventually, but is there
interest?

All of the above would slot in with the upcoming 50th anniversary. If you
do have photos, bits of paper, stories to tell etc., then let's try to
preserve them so that they are not lost.

Cheers all, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Request: Unix Photos, scanned ephemera, anecdotes, stories, interviews
@ 2018-06-23  5:41 ` Kurt H Maier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2018-06-23  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 03:32:16PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:

> All of the above would slot in with the upcoming 50th anniversary. If you
> do have photos, bits of paper, stories to tell etc., then let's try to
> preserve them so that they are not lost.

Archive.org is great at this sort of thing.  It may be worth reaching
out to Jason Scott (jason@textfiles.com) for assistance with some of the
digital artifacts.  His personal area of interest is more in the 80s BBS
era, but he knows the ins and outs of preserving things in context.  It
doesn't hurt that he's a great guy, too.

khm

* Re: [TUHS] Request: Unix Photos, scanned ephemera, anecdotes, stories, interviews
@ 2018-06-23  5:48 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2018-06-23  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

I wonder if you've talked with Peter Salus: he must have had a veritable
trove of interesting and useful source material for the 25 Years of Unix
book.

@ 2018-06-23  7:16   ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2018-06-23  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: tuhs

On Saturday, 23 June 2018 at  1:48:50 -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> I wonder if you've talked with Peter Salus: he must have had a veritable
> trove of interesting and useful source material for the 25 Years of Unix
> book.

Yes, as I read the previous messages I wondered why he hasn't been
mentioned before.  I'm also surprised that he's not on this list.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] Request: Unix Photos, scanned ephemera, anecdotes, stories, interviews
@ 2018-06-23  7:32 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-06-23  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018, Warren Toomey wrote:

> All of the above would slot in with the upcoming 50th anniversary. If
> you do have photos, bits of paper, stories to tell etc., then let's try
> to preserve them so that they are not lost.

That would depend upon the Statute of Limitations (I'm in NSW, Australia)
and boy, can I tell some stories from the 70s/80s...

The snag is that Australia has about the toughest defamation laws in the
world.

Let's see: the boss of XXX Dept was known to be having it off with his
secretary (despite being married, but not to her).

Said boss was also observed rolling along the corridors in the
afternoon, and the operators had to intervene whenever he was
observed simply bouncing off the computer room door.

A boss of another dept was known to show his staff how to roll and smoke a
joint.

Should we need a "sealed section"?

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Request: Unix Photos, scanned ephemera, anecdotes, stories, interviews
@ 2018-06-23 11:22   ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2018-06-23 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

What about starting the TUHS channel on YouTube collecting pieces of UNIX
history in video format?  Personally I really enjoy watching video
presentations about UNIX and other computer technologies of the past.  It
gives you a more deeper insight into this forgotten and ancient world we
all know and miss.  Those videos are truly acting as time capsules.

Perhaps one of my favorite is this one, taken from the AT&T Archives:

  https://youtu.be/tc4ROCJYbm0

--Andy

* Re: [TUHS] Request: Unix Photos, scanned ephemera, anecdotes, stories, interviews
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-06-23 23:43 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2018-06-23 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 03:32:16PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>What we haven't done a good job yet is to collect other things: photos,
>stories, anecdotes, scanned ephemera.

A few updates. I e-mailed Peter Salus about QCU primary sources. He wrote:

  Sorry to say (a) most of the photos were borrowed (from, e.g. Kirk
  McKusick and Debbie Scherrer) and then returned.  The transcripts of
  interviews, etc., were on a DEC back-up tape that went astray about 20
  years ago, but even then, I knew no one who could read it.  (You know,
  when QCU was in process, Addison-Wesley was just installing a way to
  receive mss. electronically.)

So I'll hit on these people and others soon :-)

Jason Scott from archive.org wrote:

   We're absolutely a good home for scanned ephemera and photos. We do
   a lot of it. Examples of collections we have:
   https://archive.org/details/bitsavers
   https://archive.org/details/manuals
   https://archive.org/details/catalogs
   You can begin to scan things and we can host it generally, and then as
   the set grows we can make you a collection.

Therefore, I propose that we start uploading scans of Unix photos and
memorabilia to archive.org and then ask Jason to make a collection to
hold all of this. How does that sound?

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Request: Unix Photos, scanned ephemera, anecdotes, stories, interviews
@ 2018-06-24  0:08 Peter Adams
From: Peter Adams @ 2018-06-24  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Over the last few years I’ve photographed many of the people listed on the wiki.

You can see the photos here:

http://facesofopensource.com

-P-

--