The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Lions commentary
@ 2023-07-05 14:01 Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 2023-07-05 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I have a copy of Lions's "A Commentary on the UNIX Operating System"  It is
an n-th generation photocopy that I've had for some number of decades. It
also has the source code, as I guess all of those copies did back in the
day.  I could just recycle the paper -- it's yellowed with age -- but I'd
rather pay it forward and ship it to someone who promises to make copies
for others who want it. This is also on bitsavers, so you're only doing
this to preserve the sense of history in passing photocopies around.

I'll take bids on how many copies you'll provide. I'll post the winning bid
(without their address), so that the community can pressureXXXXXX ensure
they meet their commitment.  I'll send it out by the end of the week.

I will give preference to US/Canada domestic addresses since that is easier
for me. How much preference is left to my discretion. :)

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a jerk; it's intended to be
lighthearted community service.

* [TUHS] Re: Lions commentary
@ 2023-07-05 16:10 ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-07-05 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I think this is a great community engagement activity. That said, can't do the printing myself. I'll throw myself out there as a potential customer though, I have the print version they did many many years later but it'd be cool to have one of the samizdat copies. To whoever does speak for this and start producing volumes, you've got your first customer!

- Matt G.

P.S. Are the typesetter sources for the commentary preserved anywhere? The typesetting style is very, very much like a small Bell System Teletype 28 training course document that I want to see about recreating as sources, might be able to take some pointers from the commentary.

@ 2023-07-05 17:59   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-07-05 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society