The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!
@ 2018-02-14 21:06 Dave Horsfall
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-02-14 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Computer pioneer Niklaus Wirth was born on this day in 1934; he basically
designed ALGOL, one of the most influential languages ever, with just
about every programming language in use today tracing its roots to it.

His name is pronounced "vurt" but he would accept "worth", and he joked
that you could call him by name or by value (you need to know ALGOL to
understand).

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!
@ 2018-02-16  2:19 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-02-16  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>

I am completely non-LISP person (I think my brain was wired in C before C
existed :-), but...

    > Nobody has written a serious operating system

Well, the LISP Machine OS was written entirely in LISP. Dunno if you call that
a 'serious OS', but it was a significantly more capable OS than, say,
DOS. (OK, there was a lot of microcde that did a lot of the low-level stuff,
but...)

    > or a serious $BIG_PROJECT in Lisp.

Have you ever seen a set of Symbolics manuals? Sylph-like, it wesn't!

    > Not one that has been commercially successful, so far as I know.

It's true that Symbolics _eventually_ crashed, but I think the biggest factor
there was that commodity microprocessors (e.g. Pentium) got faster so much
faster than Symbolics' custom LISP hardware, so that the whole rationale for
Symbolics (custom hardware to run LISP fast) went away. They still exist as a
software company selling their coding environment, FWTW.

    > C performs far better even though it is, in the eyes of lisp people, far
    > more awkward to do things.

I think it depend on what you're doing. For some kinds of things, LISP is
probably better.

I mean, for most of the kind of things I do, I think C is the bees' knees
(well, except I had to add conditions and condition handlers when I went to
write a compiler in it), but for some of the AI projects I know a little
about, LISP seems (from a distance, admittedly) to be a better match.

       Noel

[parent not found: <mailman.1.1518746401.1018.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!
@ 2018-02-16 13:42 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-02-16 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>

    > I don't know all the details but lisp and performance is not a thing.

This isn't really about Unix, but I hate to see inaccuracies go into
archives...

You might want to read:

  http://multicians.org/lcp.html

Of course, when it comes to the speed/efficientcy of the compiled code, much
depends on the program/programmer. If one uses CONS wildly, there will have to
be garbage collection, which is of course not fast. But properly coded to stay
away from expensive constructs, my understanding is that 'lcp' and NCOMPLR
produced pretty amazing object code.

	 Noel

[parent not found: <mailman.22.1518790085.20342.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!
@ 2018-02-18 20:50 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2018-02-18 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

As an aside about Wolfram and SMP (and one that actually has
something to do with UNIX):

I ran the VAX on which Wolfram et al (and it was very much et al)
developed SMP.  It started out running UNIX/TS 1.0.  I know how
that system was snuck out of Bell Labs, but if I told you I'd have
to terminate you with extreme prejudice.  (I wasn't involved
anyway.)

SMP really needed dynamic paging; the TS 1.0 kernel had only
swapping.  We had quite a few discussions about what to do.
Moving wholesale to 3BSD or early 4BSD (this was in 1981)
would have been a big upheaval for our entire user community.
Those systems were also notorious at the time for their delicate
stability: some people reported that they ran well, others that
they crashed frequently.  Our existing system was pretty solid,
and I had already put some work into making it more so (better
handling of low-level machine errors, for example).

Somehow we ended up deciding that the least-painful path was
to lift the VM code out of 4BSD and shoehorn it into our
existing kernel, creating what we called Bastardized Paging
UNIX.  I did most of the work; I was younger and more energetic
back then.  Also considerably grumpier.  In the heart of the
page-in (I think) code, the Berkeley guys had written a single
C function that stretched to about ten printed pages.  (For those
too young to remember printers, that means about 600 lines.)
I was then and still am adamant that that's the wrong way to
write anything, but I didn't want to take the time to rewrite
it all, so (being young and grumpy) I relieved my feelings by
adding a grumpy comment at the top of the source file.

I also wrote a paper about the work, which was published in
(of all places) AUUGN.  I haven't read it in years but it was
probably a bit snotty.  It nevertheless ended up causing a
local UNIX-systems-software company to head-hunt me (but at
the time I had no interest in leaving Caltech), so it must
not have been too rude.

What days those were, when a single person could understand
enough of the OS to do stuff like that in only a month or two,
and get it pretty much right too.  I did end up finding some
interesting race-condition bugs, probably introduced by me, but
fascinating to track down; e.g. something that went wrong only
if a page fault happened at exactly the right time with respect
to something else.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON