The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Questions for TUHS great minds
@ 2017-01-17 14:27 Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2017-01-17 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> writes on 17 Jan 2017 13:09 +0000

>> I think we've all lived in a wonderful time where it seemed like
>> various exponential processes could continue for ever: they can't.

For an update on the exponential scaling (Moore's Law et al), see
this interesting new paper:

	Peter J. Denning and Ted G. Lewis
	Exponential laws of computing growth
	Comm. ACM 60(1) 54--65 January 2017
	https://doi.org/10.1145/2976758

* [TUHS] Questions for TUHS great minds
@ 2017-01-11  2:33 Robert Swierczek
From: Robert Swierczek @ 2017-01-11  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not so long ago I joked about putting a Cray-1 in a watch.  Now that we are
essentially living in the future, what audacious (but realistic)
architectures can we imagine under our desks in 25 years?  Perhaps a mesh
of ten-million of today's highest end CPU/GPU pairs bathing in a vast sea
of non-volatile memory?  What new abstractions are needed in the OS to
handle that?  Obviously many of the current command line tools would need
rethinking (ps -ef for instance.)

Or does the idea of a single OS disintegrate into a fractal cloud of
zero-cost VM's?  What would a meta-OS need to manage that?  Would we still
recognize it as a Unix?