The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
 help / Atom feed
* [TUHS] Leaked patches... v6 to v6.5
@ 2019-10-01  2:38 Warner Losh
  2019-10-01  2:54 ` reed
  2019-10-01  6:05 ` Dave Horsfall
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-10-01  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 337 bytes --]

Ok. I know there was never a v6.5... officially. But there are several
references to that in different bits of the early user group news letters.
This refers to v6 plus all the patches that "leaked" out of bell Labs via
udel and Lou Katz.

My question is,  have they survived? The story sure has, but I didn't find
them in the archive..

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 424 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] Leaked patches... v6 to v6.5
  2019-10-01  2:38 [TUHS] Leaked patches... v6 to v6.5 Warner Losh
@ 2019-10-01  2:54 ` reed
  2019-10-01  3:25   ` Clem cole
  2019-10-01  6:05 ` Dave Horsfall
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: reed @ 2019-10-01  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, Warner Losh wrote:

> Ok. I know there was never a v6.5... officially. But there are several
> references to that in different bits of the early user group news letters.
> This refers to v6 plus all the patches that "leaked" out of bell Labs via
> udel and Lou Katz.
> My question?is,? have they survived? The story sure has, but I didn't find them
> in the archive..?

I think these are the same as what went other places too.

See 
Archive/Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz
unsw3/usr/sys/v6unix/ directory.
has annotated changes and a diff

(following from my writings...)

In preparation to his year sabbatical, Thompson put together a Unix 
system to take.  ``Since it was almost a release, I made a `diff' with 
V6. On the way to Berkeley, I stopped by Urbana-Champaign ... I left the 
`diff' tape there and ...  [said] I wouldn't mind it if it got 
around.''\cite{salus2008}

At the University of Illinois at Chicago Circle, research assistant Mike 
O'Brien got a copy of the single-file diff (from Thompson directly). Its 
main purpose was to keep the Bell Labs systems from crashing.  O'Brien 
went through it, diff by diff, and annotated it so others would have 
some idea of what it was what and whether they were 
useful.\cite{mikeobrien1}

...

By the end of the summer, Haley and Joy began to explore the kernel 
internals. With Schriebman's observance, they installed the fixes 
and improvements provided on the ``fifty changes'' tape from Bell Labs.  
As they learned to maneuver through the kernel code, they suggested 
several small enhancements to streamline certain 
bottlenecks.\cite{mckusick85}


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] Leaked patches... v6 to v6.5
  2019-10-01  2:54 ` reed
@ 2019-10-01  3:25   ` Clem cole
  2019-10-01  5:00     ` Warner Losh
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Clem cole @ 2019-10-01  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reed; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Right.  That’s the V6 diff tape.  I’m not sure where the story of it coming from Lou comes from (I’ve never heard that before to be honest). But   the source for many of us was Kens trip to CA and the stop to see Chesson at U of I.  

I don’t remember who gave it to us at CMU at the time but like copies of the Lions book there was an active underground in those days.  

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite. 

> On Sep 30, 2019, at 10:54 PM, reed@reedmedia.net wrote:
> 
>> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, Warner Losh wrote:
>> 
>> Ok. I know there was never a v6.5... officially. But there are several
>> references to that in different bits of the early user group news letters.
>> This refers to v6 plus all the patches that "leaked" out of bell Labs via
>> udel and Lou Katz.
>> My question?is,? have they survived? The story sure has, but I didn't find them
>> in the archive..?
> 
> I think these are the same as what went other places too.
> 
> See 
> Archive/Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz
> unsw3/usr/sys/v6unix/ directory.
> has annotated changes and a diff
> 
> (following from my writings...)
> 
> In preparation to his year sabbatical, Thompson put together a Unix 
> system to take.  ``Since it was almost a release, I made a `diff' with 
> V6. On the way to Berkeley, I stopped by Urbana-Champaign ... I left the 
> `diff' tape there and ...  [said] I wouldn't mind it if it got 
> around.''\cite{salus2008}
> 
> At the University of Illinois at Chicago Circle, research assistant Mike 
> O'Brien got a copy of the single-file diff (from Thompson directly). Its 
> main purpose was to keep the Bell Labs systems from crashing.  O'Brien 
> went through it, diff by diff, and annotated it so others would have 
> some idea of what it was what and whether they were 
> useful.\cite{mikeobrien1}
> 
> ...
> 
> By the end of the summer, Haley and Joy began to explore the kernel 
> internals. With Schriebman's observance, they installed the fixes 
> and improvements provided on the ``fifty changes'' tape from Bell Labs.  
> As they learned to maneuver through the kernel code, they suggested 
> several small enhancements to streamline certain 
> bottlenecks.\cite{mckusick85}
> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] Leaked patches... v6 to v6.5
  2019-10-01  3:25   ` Clem cole
@ 2019-10-01  5:00     ` Warner Losh
  2019-10-01  5:56       ` Warren Toomey
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-10-01  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3244 bytes --]

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019, 9:25 PM Clem cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> Right.  That’s the V6 diff tape.


Yea. This copy looks like it has been applied and has the commentary on
it.  A rather nice find. There are a plethora of copies of v6 with changes
here and there for bug fixes and new drivers.

The other nugget is that "many of the changes ... are in our own sources"
suggesting they are in AUSAM since unsw was part of that effort...

I'll have to audit the diffs between v6.5 and v7...

I’m not sure where the story of it coming from Lou comes from (I’ve never
> heard that before to be honest).


Wikipedia :). It comes from our friend Warren:

Toomey, Warren (December 2011). "The Strange Birth and Long Life of Unix"
<http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-strange-birth-and-long-life-of-unix/0>
. *IEEE Spectrum <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_Spectrum>*. IEEE
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE>. Retrieved December 15, 2012.

Maybe he can say...

Warner



But   the source for many of us was Kens trip to CA and the stop to see
> Chesson at U of I.
>
> I don’t remember who gave it to us at CMU at the time but like copies of
> the Lions book there was an active underground in those days.
>
> Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not
> quite.
>
> > On Sep 30, 2019, at 10:54 PM, reed@reedmedia.net wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, Warner Losh wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok. I know there was never a v6.5... officially. But there are several
> >> references to that in different bits of the early user group news
> letters.
> >> This refers to v6 plus all the patches that "leaked" out of bell Labs
> via
> >> udel and Lou Katz.
> >> My question?is,? have they survived? The story sure has, but I didn't
> find them
> >> in the archive..?
> >
> > I think these are the same as what went other places too.
> >
> > See
> > Archive/Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz
> > unsw3/usr/sys/v6unix/ directory.
> > has annotated changes and a diff
> >
> > (following from my writings...)
> >
> > In preparation to his year sabbatical, Thompson put together a Unix
> > system to take.  ``Since it was almost a release, I made a `diff' with
> > V6. On the way to Berkeley, I stopped by Urbana-Champaign ... I left the
> > `diff' tape there and ...  [said] I wouldn't mind it if it got
> > around.''\cite{salus2008}
> >
> > At the University of Illinois at Chicago Circle, research assistant Mike
> > O'Brien got a copy of the single-file diff (from Thompson directly). Its
> > main purpose was to keep the Bell Labs systems from crashing.  O'Brien
> > went through it, diff by diff, and annotated it so others would have
> > some idea of what it was what and whether they were
> > useful.\cite{mikeobrien1}
> >
> > ...
> >
> > By the end of the summer, Haley and Joy began to explore the kernel
> > internals. With Schriebman's observance, they installed the fixes
> > and improvements provided on the ``fifty changes'' tape from Bell Labs.
> > As they learned to maneuver through the kernel code, they suggested
> > several small enhancements to streamline certain
> > bottlenecks.\cite{mckusick85}
> >
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 7849 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] Leaked patches... v6 to v6.5
  2019-10-01  5:00     ` Warner Losh
@ 2019-10-01  5:56       ` Warren Toomey
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Warren Toomey @ 2019-10-01  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 11:00:44PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>    Wikipedia :). It comes from our friend Warren:
>    Toomey, Warren (December 2011). [2]"The Strange Birth and Long Life of
>    Unix". [3]IEEE Spectrum. [4]IEEE. Retrieved December 15, 2012.
>    Maybe he can say...

Actually it comes from Salus' "A Quarter Century of Unix", pg. 139:

    Lou Katz’s version is a bit different:
    
    A large number of bug fixes was collected, and rather than
    issue them one at a time, a collection tape (”The 50 fixes”)
    was put together by Ken. Some of the fixes were quite important,
    though I don't remember any in particular. I suspect
    that a significant fraction of the fixes were actually done by
    non-Bell people. Ken tried to send it out, but the lawyers kept
    stalling and stalling and stalling.
    
    Finally, in complete disgust, someone "found a tape on
    Mountain Avenue” which had the fixes. [The address of Bell
    Labs is 600 Mountain Avenue, Murray Hill, NJ.]
    
    When the lawyers found out about it, they called every
    licensee and threatened them with dire consequences if they
    didn’t destroy the tape, after trying to find out how they got
    the tape. I would guess that no one would actually tell them
    how they came by the tape (I didn’t). It was the first of many
    attempts by the lawyers to justify their existence and to kill
    Unix.

Cheers, Warren

P.S In 2002 I wrote on the list:

The mythical `50 bugs' tape, described in Peter Salus' book `A Quarter
Century of UNIX' has been found lurking in the Unix Archive. You can
find it in Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz as the file
usr/sys/v6unix/unix_changes.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] Leaked patches... v6 to v6.5
  2019-10-01  2:38 [TUHS] Leaked patches... v6 to v6.5 Warner Losh
  2019-10-01  2:54 ` reed
@ 2019-10-01  6:05 ` Dave Horsfall
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2019-10-01  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 680 bytes --]

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, Warner Losh wrote:

> Ok. I know there was never a v6.5... officially. But there are several 
> references to that in different bits of the early user group news 
> letters. This refers to v6 plus all the patches that "leaked" out of 
> bell Labs via udel and Lou Katz.

I was once referred to as "Mr Unix V6.5" when I shoehorned as much of V7 
into V6 (with AUSAM mods) as I could, such as XON/XOFF etc.  Those lucky 
buggers at Elec Eng and AGSM had 11/70s, whereas I had to support a number 
of 11/40s etc.

> My question is,  have they survived? The story sure has, but I didn't find
> them in the archive.. 

Sadly, not my version (UNSW/CSU).

-- Dave

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-10-01  2:38 [TUHS] Leaked patches... v6 to v6.5 Warner Losh
2019-10-01  2:54 ` reed
2019-10-01  3:25   ` Clem cole
2019-10-01  5:00     ` Warner Losh
2019-10-01  5:56       ` Warren Toomey
2019-10-01  6:05 ` Dave Horsfall

The Unix Heritage Society mailing list

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/tuhs

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.tuhs


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox