The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Unix timestamp!
@ 2022-09-08 22:28 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2022-09-08 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

https://www.timeanddate.com/on-this-day/september/9

``Unix time or Unix epoch, POSIX time or Unix timestamp, is a time system
  that measures the number of seconds since midnight UTC of January 1, 1970,
  not counting leap seconds. At 01:46:40 UTC on September 9, 2001, Unix time
  reached the billionth second timestamp.''

Hard to believe that it was that long ago...

-- Dave

* [TUHS] Re: Happy birthday, Unix timestamp!
@ 2022-09-08 23:48 ` Rob Pike
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rob Pike @ 2022-09-08 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

There was a delightful conference in Copenhagen celebrating that event, and
I was lucky enough to attend. The slides of my talk live here:
http://herpolhode.com/rob/ugly.pdf

I flew back the next day, September 10, 2011, and it was a beautiful clear
night with a stunning view of the city. We sat in the last row of the
plane, and had an unobstructed view of the trade towers as we landed near
midnight. We went home, fell asleep, and were woken by a phone call about
9am.

-rob

@ 2022-09-09  0:11   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2022-09-09  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Pike; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022, 7:50 PM Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:

> There was a delightful conference in Copenhagen celebrating that event,
> and I was lucky enough to attend. The slides of my talk live here:
> http://herpolhode.com/rob/ugly.pdf
>
> I flew back the next day, September 10, 2011, and it was a beautiful clear
> night with a stunning view of the city. We sat in the last row of the
> plane, and had an unobstructed view of the trade towers as we landed near
> midnight. We went home, fell asleep, and were woken by a phone call about
> 9am.

You probably flew approximately over me. I was working late that night in
downtown Manhattan, a few blocks from the WTC, trying to get a demo working
on a Compaq iPaq running Plan 9 in preparation for a trade show in San
Diego a day or two later. That, of course, never happened.

        - Dan C.

@ 2022-09-09  3:29 ` Seth Morabito
From: Seth Morabito @ 2022-09-09  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022, at 3:28 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> https://www.timeanddate.com/on-this-day/september/9
>
> ``Unix time or Unix epoch, POSIX time or Unix timestamp, is a time system
>   that measures the number of seconds since midnight UTC of January 1, 1970,
>   not counting leap seconds. At 01:46:40 UTC on September 9, 2001, Unix time
>   reached the billionth second timestamp.''

I remember this event vividly because at work we had an important system fail.

There was a database that was storing the time into a VARCHAR column. Unfortunately, we were sorting on that column and using the table as a queue so we could always be sure to pick up the most recent entries and act on them.

Well, you can imagine what happened when the leading digit changed from an ASCII "9" to an ASCII "1". Oops.

-Seth
--
  Seth Morabito
  Poulsbo, WA

* [TUHS] Re: Happy birthday, Unix timestamp!
@ 2022-09-09  4:24   ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2022-09-09  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Oops, 2001 of course, but you knew that from multiple contextual clues.

-rob

@ 2022-09-09  7:03   ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2022-09-09  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 8 Sep 2022 20:29 -0700, from web@loomcom.com (Seth Morabito):
> Well, you can imagine what happened when the leading digit changed
> from an ASCII "9" to an ASCII "1". Oops.

Let me guess. Something very similar to what happened to Microsoft
Exchange servers when the first two digits in a 32-bit signed integer
representation of the current date and time (formatted as YYMMDDHHMM)
changed from "21" to "22" as the date became January 1, 2022.

For those who don't immediately realize why that's a snafu: what is
the value of (2^31)-1 when interpreted as a string representation of a
timestamp according to that format, and how does that relate to Jan 1
2022?

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”

* [TUHS] Re: Happy birthday, Unix timestamp!
@ 2022-09-11  0:09   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2022-09-11  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society