Void Linux discussion
* Few packaging questions
@ 2015-01-22 20:51 Logen Kain
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Logen Kain @ 2015-01-22 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: voidlinux

If I have more dependencies listed than I actually need, what is the
easiest way to check?
Where is the easiest place to see the list of packages that don't need to
be explicitly declared?  Which, if I understand correctly, should be all
the bootstrap packages.

I would like to add a Packaging 101 to the wiki where I explain quick and
dirty ways to get a package running.

My typical method:

   -

   Add the make jobs to my ./etc/conf
   -

   Find source I want to package.
   -

   Look at list of depends if the dev has it readily available.
   -

   Find the equivalent void packages that have those depends.  If the
   depends have a 32bit version, add it to target, if not, add it to host
   -

   Add them to a template along with all the basic information.
   -

   Tell xbps to install
   -

   grab the checksum from hostdir, add it to the template, and run again.
   -- Can also download the file separately but I prefer to do it this way for
   consistency
   -

   Notice any config errors and add more dependencies.

Keep going about it that way till it builds, if there are other strange
errors I take a look at the AUR to see if they patch it.  At that point
I'll either make a patch or try to run a GIT version.

If I have any questions I consult the Manual religiously.  If I still can't
figure it out I'd post to google+, thankfully now people are using this
forum so I can post here.

As for the "depends" line, I'm also not sure how to figure out everything a
package depends on.  If I check the dependencies on package foo after I
build it, and I haven't added any depends, will it still list the depends I
need to add to the template?  Or does xbps-query get it's depends
information from the built package?

I'd like to refine my process here with knowledge from the community before
doing a write up on the wiki.

Things that I'd like to add to the wiki:

   -

   my process, as noted above
   -

   an example of each build style with explanations
   -

   an example without a build style
   -

   How to install a custom built package

If you've gotten this far, thanks for taking the time and I hope I can get
some new insight on how I suck at packaging ^_^