Development discussion of WireGuard
* WireGuard for macOS
@ 2020-03-07 17:03 tormen
From: tormen @ 2020-03-07 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Dear Wireguard Team,

First off, thanks a lot for the client for macOS !!

Is there a possibility to issue a "Connect" / "Disconnect" command from the command line
instead of using the buttons in the GUI ?

I would love to use both (GUI + CLI): No automatic connect in the GUI, but rather automatically connect / reconnect via script (so via command-line interface, CLI).
And I don't like the idea of not using the GUI and switching to the cli version as then I don't have the icon.

Thanks a lot in advance for any hint or feedback!

Tormen

* WireGuard for macOS
@ 2019-02-16  1:26 Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2019-02-16  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey everyone,

After many months of hard work, Roopesh, Eric, and I are pleased to
announce an initial version of WireGuard for macOS:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wireguard/id1451685025?ls=1&mt=12

This is built from the same code base as our existing iOS app and
makes use of Apple's Network Extension API to provide native
integration into the operating system's networking stack. The
application lives in the status bar, and after importing a
configuration, the ordinary System Preferences networking item may
also be used to control each tunnel. Because it uses these deep
integration APIs, we're only allowed to distribute the application
using the macOS App Store (whose rejections, appeals, and eventual
acceptance made for quite the stressful saga over the last week and a
half). Compared to the current CLI integration, we expect the
WireGuard experience using this app to be excellent.

For curious folks without a Mac (or without the patience to cajole KVM
into booting macOS), I've assembled a few screenshots:
https://data.zx2c4.com/wireguard-for-macos-screenshots-february-2019/

This is new software, and there will certainly be problems. Don't
hesitate to email team@wireguard.com directly with bugs as you
encounter them.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Jason

PS: Because people will inevitably ask: yes, a Windows client is on
its way, and it will have a very similar interface to this macOS one.
We're taking the long and careful route, writing a new TUN driver for
Windows 7+ called "Wintun" that we expect to be safer and faster than
the current popular OpenVPN TUN driver, and also suitable for all
projects, not just for WireGuard. We already have packets flowing and
things generally work well, but polish will require a bit of patience.
If you'd like to help and have an appetite for NDIS drivers, Win32 GUI
programming, or Go, please do get in touch.