Development discussion of WireGuard
* Installation instructions for Debian
@ 2017-05-13  7:05 Baptiste Jonglez
From: Baptiste Jonglez @ 2017-05-13  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason; +Cc: wireguard

Hi Jason,

Could you update the installation instructions for Debian [1]?

Based on the discussion from a few months ago, and given that Wireguard
now supports Jessie's 3.16 kernel, these instructions should be added:

    For Debian jessie or stretch:
    # echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unstable-wireguard.list
    # cat <<EOF > /etc/apt/preferences.d/limit-unstable
    Package: *
    Pin: release a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 200
    EOF
    # apt update
    # apt install wireguard-dkms wireguard-tools

I have verified that the resulting setup is functional (with 0.0.20170421-2 on jessie).

Thanks,
Baptiste

[1] https://www.wireguard.io/install/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Installation instructions for Debian
@ 2017-05-13 22:58 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2017-05-13 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Baptiste,

Spectacular, thanks a bunch. I think I had asked about this same thing
a while back, but somehow I got confused in the ensuing mailing list
thread and eventually I forgot about it. So I'm glad you've brought
this back up. I updated the install page with verbatim what you sent.

Jason

--
Jason A. Donenfeld
Deep Space Explorer

* Re: Installation instructions for Debian
@ 2017-05-14  8:44   ` Baptiste Jonglez
From: Baptiste Jonglez @ 2017-05-14  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 12:58:37AM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hey Baptiste,
>
> Spectacular, thanks a bunch. I think I had asked about this same thing
> a while back, but somehow I got confused in the ensuing mailing list
> thread and eventually I forgot about it. So I'm glad you've brought
> this back up. I updated the install page with verbatim what you sent.

Thanks!

Note that the previous installation instructions (basically, just "sudo
apt install wireguard-tools wireguard-dkms") were valid for Debian sid.

The new installation instructions are only valid for Debian jessie and
Debian stretch (admittedly, probably the largest fraction of Debian
users).  But I still think you should reflect this in the instructions.

Debian wheezy is not supported (with its old 3.2 kernel), although it
could be possible to use wireguard with the wheezy-backports kernel
(3.16).  I don't think it's worth mentioning it anyway, Wheezy is
old-stable and will soon be old-old-stable.

@ 2017-05-14 12:52     ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2017-05-14 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun 2017-05-14 10:44:56 +0200, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> Note that the previous installation instructions (basically, just "sudo
> apt install wireguard-tools wireguard-dkms") were valid for Debian sid.
>
> The new installation instructions are only valid for Debian jessie and
> Debian stretch (admittedly, probably the largest fraction of Debian
> users).  But I still think you should reflect this in the instructions.
>
> Debian wheezy is not supported (with its old 3.2 kernel), although it
> could be possible to use wireguard with the wheezy-backports kernel
> (3.16).  I don't think it's worth mentioning it anyway, Wheezy is
> old-stable and will soon be old-old-stable.

As the debian maintainer for wireguard, I agree with Baptiste on all
these points, and on his earlier recommendations.  Thanks, Baptiste, for
the clear and concise documentation.

        --dkg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Installation instructions for Debian
@ 2017-07-08 14:14   ` Baptiste Jonglez
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Baptiste Jonglez @ 2017-07-08 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

I think there is a small mistake in the installation instruction for
Debian, sorry about that: the "Pin-Priority" should be set to 150 instead
of 200.

Long explanation: on jessie, the jessie-backports repository also has a
priority of 200.  After enabling unstable with the same priority, APT will
propose to upgrade all packages from jessie-backports to unstable, which
is probably not wanted nor expected.

Daniel, does that all make sense?

Baptiste

@ 2017-07-10  0:50     ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2017-07-10  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Baptiste,

Thanks for the correction. I've remedied this on the webpage.

Dan - if this is somehow incorrect, do pipe up.

Jason

* Re: Installation instructions for Debian
@ 2017-07-11 23:36     ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2017-07-11 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat 2017-07-08 16:14:02 +0200, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:

> I think there is a small mistake in the installation instruction for
> Debian, sorry about that: the "Pin-Priority" should be set to 150 instead
> of 200.
>
> Long explanation: on jessie, the jessie-backports repository also has a
> priority of 200.  After enabling unstable with the same priority, APT will
> propose to upgrade all packages from jessie-backports to unstable, which
> is probably not wanted nor expected.
>
> Daniel, does that all make sense?

Yep, that sounds reasonable to me.  fwiw, apt_preferences(5) indicates
what the different cutoffs for priorities are, and explains why
jessie-backports defaults to something in the 200 range ("NotAutomatic:
yes" and "ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes"), and 150 should still have the
same properties (it's above 100, but below 500).

     --dkg

* Re: Installation instructions for Debian
@ 2017-07-12  0:00     ` Bzzzz
From: Bzzzz @ 2017-07-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 16:14:02 +0200
Baptiste Jonglez <baptiste@bitsofnetworks.org> wrote:

> Long explanation: on jessie, the jessie-backports repository also has a

But as of 2017-06-17, stable is now stretch.

JY