zsh-users
* M-. should bring back last arg of prev cmd
@ 2002-03-20  6:16 Nick Croft
From: Nick Croft @ 2002-03-20  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi. Another question. You help has been much appreciated.

I learnt in an article by Dominic Mitchell "A Case for the Z Shell",
that M-. can be used as a shortcut for the last argument of the previous
command.

  % cat /etc/networks
  % ls -l /etc/hosts
  % vi M-.
  % vi /etc/hosts M-.M-.
  % vi /etc/hosts /etc/networks

Question: Is this dependent on some setting in the .zshrc, or a setopt
command? I had it working a few days ago. I think it's the greatest
thing since sliced bread.

But it's gone, and I suspect I've overridden whatever it depended on.

Clues, anyone?

Nick

* Re: M-. should bring back last arg of prev cmd
@ 2002-03-20  7:53 ` John Buttery
From: John Buttery @ 2002-03-20  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

* Nick Croft <nicko@acay.com.au> [2002-03-20 17:16:00 +1100]:
>Hi. Another question. You help has been much appreciated.
>
>I learnt in an article by Dominic Mitchell "A Case for the Z Shell",
>that M-. can be used as a shortcut for the last argument of the previous
>command.
[snip]
>Question: Is this dependent on some setting in the .zshrc, or a setopt
>command? I had it working a few days ago. I think it's the greatest
>thing since sliced bread.
>
>But it's gone, and I suspect I've overridden whatever it depended on.

  Well, I'm pretty new to zsh, but I may be able to field this one.

% bindkey ^[.
"^[." insert-last-word
%

  So it looks like you just need to run something like:

bindkey "^[." insert-last-word

  Note that the ^[ represents an actual escape character.  So before you
hit M-. you need to hit Ctrl-v so zsh inserts it literally.
  By the way, thanks for pointing out this feature!

  Oh, and while I'm posting anyway, is there a way to disable zsh's
reports that mail has been read in a mailbox?  I don't want to disable
the reports of _new_ mail, just the ones where it says "the mail in xyz
has been read".

  Hmm, looks like I managed to break my sig rotation script.  Maybe I
shouldn't have switched interactive-use shell, scripting shell, and
editor at the same time.  :)

--
This block should never execute.  Bug!

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 232 bytes --]

* Re: M-. should bring back last arg of prev cmd
@ 2002-03-20 16:16 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-03-20 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Croft, zsh-users

On Mar 20,  5:16pm, Nick Croft wrote:
}
} [M-. is] gone, and I suspect I've overridden whatever it depended on.

Does M-x work?  (Should give you an "execute: " prompt.)  Do *any* of the
metafied keys work?  Does ESC . do what you expect M-. to do?

The only thing that would affect M-. are `bindkey' commands.  If ESC . is
working, you probably need to add `bindkey -m' to your .zshrc to enable
the meta key.  If you already have a `bindkey -m' call, some later call to
`bindkey' must be turning it off again.