zsh-users
* A hyphen bug or not?
@ 2011-03-18 14:15 nix
From: nix @ 2011-03-18 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

#!/bin/zsh

emulate zsh

R="-"

echo "$R" # <--- its empty here as well !

R=$(echo "$R" | base64)
R=$(print ${R//$'\n'})

echo "R: $R" # <--- this is wrong, it should be a hyphen -

# When we change the "R" variable to a octal presentation of hyphen

R="\055"
R=$(echo "$R" | base64)
R=$(print ${R//$'\n'})

echo "R: $R" # <--- now it works and base64 decod returns a hyphen "-" as
it should.

How I can echo a hyphen without echoing octal?

* Re: A hyphen bug or not?
@ 2011-03-18 14:32 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2011-03-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nix; +Cc: zsh-users

On 18 March 2011 15:15,  <nix@myproxylists.com> wrote:
> #!/bin/zsh
>
> emulate zsh
>
> R="-"
>
> echo "$R" # <--- its empty here as well !
>
> R=$(echo "$R" | base64)
> R=$(print ${R//$'\n'})
>
> echo "R: $R" # <--- this is wrong, it should be a hyphen -
>
> # When we change the "R" variable to a octal presentation of hyphen
>
> R="\055"
> R=$(echo "$R" | base64)
> R=$(print ${R//$'\n'})
>
> echo "R: $R" # <--- now it works and base64 decod returns a hyphen "-" as
> it should.
>

> How I can echo a hyphen without echoing octal?

Your problem is that echo actually interprets options, if you want to
echo arguments starting with a hyphen you should use echo - "arguments
here" (it's always safe to add the leading hyphen to separate options
from arguments). If you also don't want to interpret escapes, use echo
-E - "arguments here".

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: A hyphen bug or not?
@ 2011-03-18 17:21   ` nix
From: nix @ 2011-03-18 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: zsh-users

> On 18 March 2011 15:15,  <nix@myproxylists.com> wrote:
>> #!/bin/zsh
>>
>> emulate zsh
>>
>> R="-"
>>
>> echo "$R" # <--- its empty here as well !
>>
>> R=$(echo "$R" | base64)
>> R=$(print ${R//$'\n'})
>>
>> echo "R: $R" # <--- this is wrong, it should be a hyphen -
>>
>> # When we change the "R" variable to a octal presentation of hyphen
>>
>> R="\055"
>> R=$(echo "$R" | base64)
>> R=$(print ${R//$'\n'})
>>
>> echo "R: $R" # <--- now it works and base64 decod returns a hyphen "-"
>> as
>> it should.
>>

>> How I can echo a hyphen without echoing octal?
>
> Your problem is that echo actually interprets options, if you want to
> echo arguments starting with a hyphen you should use echo - "arguments
> here" (it's always safe to add the leading hyphen to separate options
> from arguments). If you also don't want to interpret escapes, use echo
> -E - "arguments here".
>
> --
> Mikael Magnusson

R="-"