zsh-users
* using gitlab (or other) issue tracker instead of mailing list?
@ 2017-01-01  1:10 Timothee Cour
From: Timothee Cour @ 2017-01-01  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Spawned off from a separate discussion:
> regression: zsh completion stopped working after upgrading zsh 5.2=>5.3

What are your requirements for tracking zsh issues, and could this be
accomplished by a standard issue tracker (eg github/gitlab/bitbucket)
instead of this mailing list ?

To summarize:

* github/gitlab are widely used so no particular signup would be needed
* using github.gitlab, ppl can click on Watch to follow/unfollow individual
issues or all of zsh issues to choose how much email from github they
receive
* it would lower the barrier of entry to enter bugs, ie get bugs fixed
faster
* all benefits of bug tracker as opposed to mailling list [tracking bugs,
cross references, search, syntax highlighting etc]
* avoids revealing your email address
* this has been adoped by https://github.com/zsh-users [Zsh community
projects (not directly affiliated with the zsh project)] probably for a
combination of the above reasons

Daniel Shahaf's comment:

> For one, I assume we won't consider a bug tracker that doesn't have
bidirectional email integration with this mailing list.  (to minimise
workflow disruption)

The issue trackers I mentioned do have bidirectional email integration, eg
I can see github issues in my email and replying via email will also reply
in github issues, etc.

[parent not found: <CAM4j=kPgw=fLgEeCvV5xqpU9==o81riHj7RwowgQR3nwNnhZxA__37436.9124918759$1483233144$gmane$org@mail.gmail.com>]