zsh-workers
* Yikes! Missing Patches in zsh-2.6-beta14...
@ 1996-04-16 19:16 Eskandar Ensafi
From: Eskandar Ensafi @ 1996-04-16 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hello,

Zoltan submitted some patches when zsh-2.6 was in beta12 and beta13.
Neither made it into beta13 or beta14.  Here are the patches (one is
slightly modified).  They address two problems:

	(1) Call init_term() if ``print -P'' is being used (otherwise,
	    escape sequences of the form '%B...%b' do not work in shell
	    scripts or noninteractive shells.

	(2) Fix crashes when using PROMPT_SUBST.  Recall the following
	    from Zoltan's message of 01-Mar-96:

	    "[... after !! history expansion] lex.c calls the spell
	    checker on [a command] before the alias stack is popped.
	    The spell checker sees that [a misspelled command] should
	    be corrected, and prints the spelling correction prompt,
	    which then calls lexsave/lexrestore [...].  And the later
	    lexrestore calls clearalstack() which coredumps because of
	    the NULL entry that history expansion put there [...]"

The patches are included below.

- Eskandar

*** builtin.c.orig	Tue Apr 16 10:14:49 1996
--- builtin.c	Tue Apr 16 10:16:30 1996
***************
*** 4080,4087 ****
  	if (ops['D'])
  	    fprintdir(arg, fout);
  	else {
! 	    if (ops['P'])
  		arg = putprompt(arg, &len, NULL, 0);
  	    fwrite(arg, len, 1, fout);
  	    if(ops['P'])
  		free(arg);
--- 4080,4090 ----
  	if (ops['D'])
  	    fprintdir(arg, fout);
  	else {
! 	    if (ops['P']) {
!     		if (!termok && (isset(INTERACTIVE) || !init_term()))
! 		    return 1;
  		arg = putprompt(arg, &len, NULL, 0);
+ 	    }
  	    fwrite(arg, len, 1, fout);
  	    if(ops['P'])
  		free(arg);

*** lex.c.orig	Sun Apr 14 22:33:32 1996
--- lex.c	Tue Apr 16 10:20:07 1996
***************
*** 52,58 ****
      int histdone;
      int spaceflag;
      int stophist;
-     int alstackind;
      int hlinesz;
      char *hline;
      char *hptr;
--- 52,57 ----
***************
*** 83,88 ****
--- 82,93 ----
  {
      struct lexstack *ls;

+ #ifdef DEBUG
+     if (alstackind) {
+ 	fprintf(stdout, "BUG: lexsave called with alstackind != 0\n");
+ 	fflush(stdout);
+     }
+ #endif
      ls = (struct lexstack *)malloc(sizeof(struct lexstack));

      ls->incmdpos = incmdpos;
***************
*** 91,97 ****
      ls->dbparens = dbparens;
      ls->in_brace_param = in_brace_param;
      ls->alstat = alstat;
-     ls->alstackind = alstackind;
      ls->isfirstln = isfirstln;
      ls->isfirstch = isfirstch;
      ls->histremmed = histremmed;
--- 96,101 ----
***************
*** 155,161 ****
      chwordlen = lstack->chwordlen;
      chwordpos = lstack->chwordpos;
      clearalstack();
-     alstackind = lstack->alstackind;
      hlinesz = lstack->hlinesz;
      lexstop = errflag = 0;

--- 159,164 ----
***************
*** 917,923 ****
      hwget(&yytext);
      s = yytext;
      if (interact && isset(SHINSTDIN) && !strin && !incasepat && tok == STRING &&
! 	(isset(CORRECTALL) || (isset(CORRECT) && incmdpos)) && !nocorrect)
  	spckword(&tokstr, &s, incmdpos, 1);
      if (zleparse && !alstackind) {
  	int zp = zleparse;
--- 920,926 ----
      hwget(&yytext);
      s = yytext;
      if (interact && isset(SHINSTDIN) && !strin && !incasepat && tok == STRING &&
! 	(isset(CORRECTALL) || (isset(CORRECT) && incmdpos)) && !nocorrect && !alstackind)
  	spckword(&tokstr, &s, incmdpos, 1);
      if (zleparse && !alstackind) {
  	int zp = zleparse;

* Re: Yikes! Missing Patches in zsh-2.6-beta14...
@ 1996-04-16 19:57 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-04-16 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eskandar Ensafi; +Cc: zsh-workers

Eskandar wrote:
> Zoltan submitted some patches when zsh-2.6 was in beta12 and beta13.
> Neither made it into beta13 or beta14.  Here are the patches (one is
> slightly modified).  They address two problems:
[...]

There are much more patches missing from beta14 from me and from other
people.  About the init_term patch you included from me, I did not put it
into my release I used your patch doing the same in zle_misc.c in
putprompt().  I think that's a better placs for that.  That was in atricle
791.

But promptsubst could cause other severe problems without the patch I
posted in article 792 and some other patches I did not posted yet since
they probably do not apply cleanly to the baseline.

I'll make a new release based on beta14 this weekend.

Bye,

Zoltan

* Re: Yikes! Missing Patches in zsh-2.6-beta14...
@ 1996-04-16 20:04   ` Eskandar Ensafi
From: Eskandar Ensafi @ 1996-04-16 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hello,

> There are much more patches missing from beta14 from me and from other
> people.  About the init_term patch you included from me, I did not put it
> into my release I used your patch doing the same in zle_misc.c in
> putprompt().  I think that's a better placs for that.  That was in atricle
> 791.

Thanks for reminding me...

I actually checked to see if my zle_misc.c patch was included.  It was not.
I simply reposted your patch instead -- after all, a working patch is better
than no patch at all...

- Eskandar

* Re: Yikes! Missing Patches in zsh-2.6-beta14...
@ 1996-04-17  0:18     ` Richard J. Coleman
From: Richard J. Coleman @ 1996-04-17  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> > There are much more patches missing from beta14 from me and from other
> > people.  About the init_term patch you included from me, I did not put it
> > into my release I used your patch doing the same in zle_misc.c in
> > putprompt().  I think that's a better placs for that.  That was in atricle
> > 791.
>
> Thanks for reminding me...

Yes, I realized that there are patches missing.  I'm getting back into zsh
work after a little rest (which I needed).  I decided to go ahead and make
a beta14 release anyway, since I told everyone I would.

> I actually checked to see if my zle_misc.c patch was included.  It was not.
> I simply reposted your patch instead -- after all, a working patch is better
> than no patch at all...

This is where our opinions differ.  I will not put a patch in the baseline
until
I'm sure it is the right way to fix the problem.

rc