* [9front] Expired SSL certificate
@ 2024-04-06 15:04 mrunix00
From: mrunix00 @ 2024-04-06 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I have recently noticed that the SSL certificate at this page has been expired since July 2022:
https://code.9front.org/hg/

* Re: [9front] Expired SSL certificate
@ 2024-04-06 18:29 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2024-04-06 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Apr 06, 2024 at 03:04:53PM +0000, mrunix00 wrote:
> I have recently noticed that the SSL certificate at this page has been expired since July 2022:
> https://code.9front.org/hg/

it'll probably stay that way.  it doesn't really hurt anything.  if
someone has a compelling reason I'm open to putting a new cert in, but I
don't really see the point at the moment. traffic remains encrypted.

as long as the SHA-256 fingerprint starts with ae:1a:9a then it's the
right one.

khm

* Re: [9front] Expired SSL certificate
@ 2024-04-07  0:41   ` Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) @ 2024-04-07  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, Kurt H Maier

Kurt H Maier writes:

> it'll probably stay that way.  it doesn't really hurt anything.  if
> someone has a compelling reason I'm open to putting a new cert in, but I
> don't really see the point at the moment. traffic remains encrypted.

But it will scare away non-Plan 9 users browsing the code with
a web browser.  That's a bit anti-social.

--lyndon

* Re: [9front] Expired SSL certificate
@ 2024-04-07  0:49     ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-04-07  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On April 6, 2024 8:41:16 PM EDT, "Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)" <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
>Kurt H Maier writes:
>
>> it'll probably stay that way.  it doesn't really hurt anything.  if
>> someone has a compelling reason I'm open to putting a new cert in, but I
>> don't really see the point at the moment. traffic remains encrypted.
>
>But it will scare away non-Plan 9 users browsing the code with
>a web browser.  That's a bit anti-social.
>
>--lyndon

current 9front code is at git.9front.org.

sl

* Re: [9front] Expired SSL certificate
@ 2024-04-07  2:18     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2024-04-07  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Apr 06, 2024 at 05:41:16PM -0700, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:
> Kurt H Maier writes:
>
> > it'll probably stay that way.  it doesn't really hurt anything.  if
> > someone has a compelling reason I'm open to putting a new cert in, but I
> > don't really see the point at the moment. traffic remains encrypted.
>
> But it will scare away non-Plan 9 users browsing the code with
> a web browser.  That's a bit anti-social.
>
> --lyndon

More or less antisocial than just taking the server down?

Feel free to take whatever code you need to socialize and host it
elsewhere.

khm

* Re: [9front] Expired SSL certificate
@ 2024-04-07 16:47       ` Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) @ 2024-04-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, Kurt H Maier

Kurt H Maier writes:

> More or less antisocial than just taking the server down?

If the hg tree is dead and the commit history is also available
in git, then yes, I would say decommissioning hg is the right
thing to do.  That way, if newcomers are exploring for Plan 9
code, they won't be mislead by ancient creaky code.

This frustrated me with Plan9port for a long time.  37+ different
repos ... which one do I believe?

--lyndon

* Re: [9front] Expired SSL certificate
@ 2024-04-07 17:02         ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2024-04-07 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM); +Cc: 9front

On Sun, Apr 07, 2024 at 09:47:30AM -0700, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:

> If the hg tree is dead and the commit history is also available
> in git, then yes, I would say decommissioning hg is the right
> thing to do.  That way, if newcomers are exploring for Plan 9
> code, they won't be mislead by ancient creaky code.

This is almost the case.  Two mitigating factors:

1) 9front's sysupdate utility used to pull from this server, so we left
it online so people who sysupdate infrequently would still be able
to smoothly transition to git, and

2) 9front is not the only repository on the mercurial server, and
people can migrate off it at their own pace (or never, as far as I
care).

> This frustrated me with Plan9port for a long time.  37+ different
> repos ... which one do I believe?

There is no way to make everyone happy.  Even when we had one code
server there were still supergeniuses out there who could not
differentiate between the 9front repository (i.e. the one that had
'9front' in the name) and the other repositories (i.e. the ones that
did not have '9front' in the name).  It's a hard world out there.

The people who benefit from code.9front.org/hg remaining online get
those benefits regardless of the certificate status.  It's no concern of
anyone's else, since the website, documentation, and source code have
all been updated to point to git.9front.org.

khm

* Re: [9front] Expired SSL certificate
@ 2024-04-07 17:33         ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-04-07 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On April 7, 2024 12:47:30 PM EDT, "Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)" <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
>Kurt H Maier writes:
>
>> More or less antisocial than just taking the server down?
>
>If the hg tree is dead and the commit history is also available
>in git, then yes, I would say decommissioning hg is the right
>thing to do.  That way, if newcomers are exploring for Plan 9
>code, they won't be mislead by ancient creaky code.
>
>This frustrated me with Plan9port for a long time.  37+ different
>repos ... which one do I believe?
>
>--lyndon

the one pointed to in the lastest iso and the fqa.

sl