* Re: [9fans] tab completion and command history in rc
@ 2005-11-04  2:30 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-11-04  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> As for command history, you are expected to
> find the previous command in your rc window, edit it, copy it, paste it
> to the prompt, and then run it.  This is obviously more efficient than
> hitting the "up" arrow.
> As for keeping the command line always in view, mid-click on the window
> and select "scroll".

This reminded me of my old pet idea.  To ease finding the desired command
in a window, how's it to split the window into two panes like sam does?
I mean, you always enter commands in the command pane and every outputs will
appear in the other output pane.

In acme, you could achieve similar effect by typing commands in a directory
window and the output appears in another "+Errors" window, but it's tiresome
to Button-2'ing the command everytime.
--
"on travel, off the network ... and a fossil in my pocket"

[parent not found: <000201c5e0e5$bbd617f0$14aaa8c0@utelsystems.local>]
* Re: [9fans] tab completion and command history in rc
@ 2005-11-04  4:27 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-11-04  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> While I was looking into win src to see how easy it is
> to let it learn to output to +Errors window

It turned out to be easy to do a first rough attempt.
You can download main.c into /acme/bin/source/win,
mk and run as "/somewhere/win -m".
	http://p9c.cc.titech.ac.jp/plan9/tmp/main.c
--

@ 2005-11-04  4:01 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-11-04  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsc, 9fans

Well, I strongly dis-recommend button-3'ing /dev/cons in acme. ;)

While I was looking into win src to see how easy it is
to let it learn to output to +Errors window, I mistakenly
clicked the path-which-not-to-be-mentioned.
--

@ 2005-11-04  3:42 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-11-04  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I do this in acme a lot.  Type a command, ESC, b2 click.

Yes.  This method is almost there except that
if you resize or move a directory window,
the command "history" is gone. :)
--

@ 2005-11-04  2:01 Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2005-11-04  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

see: http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Mouse_vs._keyboard

Federico G.Benavento

---
/bin/fortune:
He is more in debt but he weigh.

* Re: [9fans] tab completion and command history in rc
@ 2005-11-04  1:29 Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2005-11-04  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>They complain that ^F doesn't work if rio's name space is different from the window in which ^F is typed.

you can use the "local" script in the tip o the day page, to change the
the plumbing namespace.

btw, I use ^F all the time, because I'm too lazy.

Federico G.Benavento

---
/bin/fortune:
He lost both Ali-pilaf and Vali-pilaf.

* [9fans] tab completion and command history in rc
@ 2005-11-04  0:59 Rian Hunter
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rian Hunter @ 2005-11-04  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I'm very very new to Plan 9 and I'm very conscious of the fact that
things are done differently if not better than in the unix family. In
bash and in some versions of csh and sh there is tab-completion and
command history (you get these effects by pressing tab or up,
respectively, on the keyboard). Does that exist in rc, or is it done
in different way in Plan 9?

Also on my keyboard my directional buttons no longer work, so in a
terminal window running in rio it's very frustrating when I get to
the bottom of the window and have to use the mouse to scroll down or
press enter twice. Is there a way so that the command line always
stays in sight in the terminal window? or, are there other key
sequences I can use to simulate up down left and right (similar to
hjkl in vi or ctrl+n or ctrl+p in emacs/bash).

Thanks!

Rian Hunter