* Re: [9fans] mouse
@ 2003-08-06 16:31 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-08-06 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I mistranslated jmk's.  'teenei whakarongo mai' means
`listen to this', not 'look at this'.

* Re: [9fans] mouse
@ 2003-08-06 16:49   ` splite
From: splite @ 2003-08-06 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:52:25AM -0500, zfolkerts@starcenter.tn.org wrote:

> Basically you put a silver dot sticker on your forhead, and as you move
> your head, appropriate mouse movements are made.

So, instead of getting "gorilla arm", one can look forward to "gorilla neck"
and a nice side career as a linebacker or bouncer?

* Re: [9fans] mouse
@ 2003-08-06 16:52 ` zfolkerts
From: zfolkerts @ 2003-08-06 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Has anyone else seen one of these devices?
http://orin.com/access/headmouse/index.htm

Basically you put a silver dot sticker on your forhead, and as you move
your head, appropriate mouse movements are made. I saw this on a Windows
box several years ago, but according to their site, it emulates standard
mouse protocols, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on a Plan 9 box.

Zack Folkerts

* Re: [9fans] mouse
@ 2003-08-06 17:32   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-08-06 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Basically you put a silver dot sticker on your forhead, and as you move
> your head, appropriate mouse movements are made.

nope, no silver Bindis.  i want lasers and  acurracy and it would really mess
up those 'mouse in window' focus policies.

* [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-06 17:50     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-08-06 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this is OT, but i'm gonna ask anyway.

i wanna know the meaning, or how to find it of a 3 character japanese
'word' that has one complex kanji and ends in 'mi' 'shi' [kana].  it'd be
a nice use of rev | grep with the right dictionary.

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-07  1:16       ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-08-07  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> this is OT, but i'm gonna ask anyway.
>
> i wanna know the meaning, or how to find it of a 3 character japanese
> 'word' that has one complex kanji and ends in 'mi' 'shi' [kana].  it'd be
> a nice use of rev | grep with the right dictionary.

You might have to refer to Kanwa dictionary which translate a Kanji
character to Nihongo.   Well, Kanji was imported from old china, and
Chinese and Japanese are quit different language each other.   So,
we need such dictionary in some case.

Is your requested Kanji isn't like this:  蝦, which I just guessed from
your favorite I detected. ☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-07  1:34         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-08-07  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, Kanji was imported from old china,

yup 13th century.

> Chinese and Japanese are quit different language each other.

yes.

> So, we need such dictionary in some case.

well i have a kenkyusha's somewhere, but that wont help me.

> Is your requested Kanji isn't like this:  蝦, which I just guessed from

no it's not like that.  it's more like chuo/tou[kyo] but more complex.

hell, it's tattooed on a gaijin's back.  it may mean _nothing_.

gaijin dakara, wakaranai

it's just a puzzle i'd like to figure out. well, that and this DNA resercher's
question about enzemes -- her time will come:  AGCT

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-07  1:36         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-08-07  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yeah, i need a 'stroke count' dictionary/index.

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-07  2:29           ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-08-07  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Is your requested Kanji isn't like this:  蝦, which I just guessed from
>
> no it's not like that.  it's more like chuo/tou[kyo] but more complex.
>
> hell, it's tattooed on a gaijin's back.  it may mean _nothing_.

Isn't it 夷 ?   It means gaijin...

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-07  3:36             ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-08-07  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>> Is your requested Kanji isn't like this:  蝦, which I just guessed from
>>
>> no it's not like that.  it's more like chuo/tou[kyo] but more complex.
>>
>> hell, it's tattooed on a gaijin's back.  it may mean _nothing_.
>
> Isn't it 夷 ?   It means gaijin...

I forgot one thing.
I think it was written like 夷みし, which means gaijin with lesser quality.
I recommend you not to ware it on your back.  ☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-07 10:43               ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-08-07 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I think it was written like 夷みし, which means gaijin with lesser quality.

yup, that looks like it.  i've never seen it written that way.  what are the
furigana (?) for the first character.

> I recommend you not to ware it on your back.  ☺

well, it is kinda obvious that i _am_ a gaijin, so it's kinda unnecessary.

arigatou gozaimasu.

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-07 13:45                 ` Moroo Jun
From: Moroo Jun @ 2003-08-07 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: Moroo Jun

Maybe this page helps you.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jwb/wwwjdic?1B

@ 2003-08-07 14:06     ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-08-07 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>So, instead of getting "gorilla arm", one can look forward to "gorilla neck"
>and a nice side career as a linebacker or bouncer?

yeah, these gorilla eyes are really starting to look grotesque

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-08  0:16                 ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-08-08  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yeah!  I was very close from the first time.

>> I think it was written like 夷みし, which means gaijin with lesser quality.
>
> yup, that looks like it.  i've never seen it written that way.  what are the
> furigana (?) for the first character.

えみし(e-mi-shi)
The first kanji I wrote here was also the えみし、 蝦夷, which is the
formal Kanji for えみし.  蝦夷 is a very old word to indicate the people
lived in the northern Japan, canned アイヌ(Iinu) now.  It was a word
to look down them from the ruling people at Kansai area.   These habits
of Kanji usage came from China, who called Japanese at that time as
東夷(とうい, barbarian living east) .

Therefore, I suppose someone doesn't want to use the very word
蝦夷, and used 夷みし to express somthing "I'm not Japanese", or
"I have rich hair all around my body" ☺  Anyway, 夷みしstill means
barbarian!

> well, it is kinda obvious that i _am_ a gaijin, so it's kinda unnecessary.

yeah!
However, you look like sophisticated barbarian if I judge only from your
writing here, so. it may fit to you.  ☺

Kenji -- sorry, boyd, I'm kidding

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-08  0:49                   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-08-08  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> えみし(e-mi-shi)

oh cool.  this should provide some fun :)

> Kansai area.

iirc kansai includes ousaka [great slope] and koube.  spent some time in
koube, NEC no kaisha-in deshita.

> Therefore, I suppose someone doesn't want to use the very word
> 蝦夷, and used 夷みし to express somthing "I'm not Japanese", or
> "I have rich hair all around my body" ☺  Anyway, 夷みしstill means
> barbarian!

yes it makes no sense, like a lot of the 'english' on t-shirts etc in japan
(and many other countries).

> However, you look like sophisticated barbarian if I judge only from your
> writing here, so. it may fit to you.  ☺

it does perfectly and all the connotations mean 'disgrace'? well until the 47
rounin (who were honourable men) did what needed to be done.

the bushido code, right?  i've read/studied some Mishima -- now that is
interesting 'cos it has mi-shi :)

it was the movie that reminded me that i'd seen the site in shinagawa [goods
river] in '89 or so.

> Kenji -- sorry, boyd, I'm kidding

s'ok, in oz we call it 'stirring' and it's sort of a national sport :)

* Re: [9fans] kanji
@ 2003-08-13  9:44                     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-08-13  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

nope, i was wrong.  here are the BUAG:

    /
 \ --- /
   |  |
   |--|
 / |  | \
   ---
 ------
   /|\

the middle character (iirc) is shiro [white].