* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  9:49 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-28  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> hmm. I've seen 12 second-to-multiuser boots or less with linuxbios
> machines from power-on. I have a busybox linux+linuxbios box that boots in
> 5 seconds -- no /etc/rc nonsense in there though. This is the first box
> I've had that boots faster than an LCD can go from sleep mode to
> displaying.

What is linuxbios machine?  It's BIOS is what written in ROM?

> The problem now is idiot /etc/rc scripts. I have a k6 with normal bios
> that boots redhat 6 faster than a k7+linuxbios box -- the difference is
> the stupid scripts. Lots of 'sleep x' in those things. yuck.

Yes, many server programs are starting during booting of individual desktop
Linux box.   Kanji treating servers are also neccessary to us.  I must wait more
than 1 minutes untill I can login to the machine!!   This is much expanded when
we use gnome...   I believe this is not rare for many of Linux users.

> I like Plan 9 but fast boots is not something I've seen in use.

Probably, your setting would be something special than us, I believe.
When we wnat to use a machine as our desktop, we want to save power when we
are not using, and expect fast booting when we need it.   I choose Plan 9 definitly
than Windows or Unices from this point (other reasons are also there though).
Plan 9 separated terminals from servers, and it contributed for this purpose.
Am I wrong?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28 16:53 ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2002-11-28 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:

> > hmm. I've seen 12 second-to-multiuser boots or less with linuxbios
> > machines from power-on. I have a busybox linux+linuxbios box that boots in
> > 5 seconds -- no /etc/rc nonsense in there though. This is the first box
> > I've had that boots faster than an LCD can go from sleep mode to
> > displaying.
>
> What is linuxbios machine?  It's BIOS is what written in ROM?

see www.linuxbios.org, and I am sorry to have taken this so far
off-topic.

Except, we really hope to finish up the fast plan9 boot from linuxbios
next summer ...

> This is much expanded when we use gnome...  I believe this is not rare
> for many of Linux users.

I always remove gnome.

ron

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-12-02  4:52 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-12-02  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 01:49, okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:
> are not using, and expect fast booting when we need it.   I choose Plan 9 definitly
> than Windows or Unices from this point (other reasons are also there though).

Is anyone booting Plan 9 terminals over 802.11b?  (Is that even possible
yet?)

If so, are there any caveats or gotchas someone attempting this should
watch out for?

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  7:05               ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-11-28  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:54:12AM -0500, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> In the "I'm a CPU" sense it is not too unlike any other mips.
> Not different enough from the 4700 or the 7000 to get me upset.

I entered the commercial computer marketplace just as sanctions
against South Africa started biting.  Only lucky (?!) developers
in the Defence and Police forces got to see all the exciting
architectures.

What I'm asking is how hard it would be for a VMware-like utility
to allow Plan 9 and the "native" operating system to co-exist.
Then one can play games _and_ have a Plan 9 system.

There are lots of PS2s out there!  Few of them, at least relatively,
are likely to be running Linux, fewer still are likely to be bought
to run Plan 9.

In passing, the NetBSD folk are getting close to providing PowerPC
and i386 emulation for OS-X on the Apple platforms.  That is equally
exciting.  Is this how the Wintel egemony (sp?) is going to be
broken?

++L

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  7:05   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-11-28  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> Actually there is some step in plan 9 that makes my PCs take forever to
> boot. Don't know what it is. But they don't typically boot faster than
> Linux for me.

i can't speak for anything that i don't have, but my p9 installation boots
on par with freebsd (~34 seconds, freebsd does not have the 10 second
delay before bootstrapping the kernel) to fully functional network-enabled
node (including X). if i had a file server p9 would boot even faster.

the only difference is that i log into p9, while freebds just prompts me
for one...

i strongly believe that boot time is only essential with terminals (which
do get to be rebooted more often) and that with LinuxBIOS-enabled kernel
it won't be hard at all to get the boot time down to linux levels on
a reasonable hardware.

i plan to prove myself wrong someday :)

andrey

ps: your p9 machine isn't trying to dhcp itself in the presence of no dhcp
servers?

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  6:54             ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2002-11-28  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> And, last important question, how well does the chip deal with
> virtualisation?

In the "I'm a CPU" sense it is not too unlike any other mips.
Not different enough from the 4700 or the 7000 to get me upset.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  6:48 ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2002-11-28  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-28  6:42 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-28  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In addition, I have to wait loooooong time to bootup linux.
This is similar or longer to bootup time of Windows 98 of my another machine.
Plan 9 teminal, if compared witho those, boots up in an instant.  ☺

Kenji   --Am I insulting Linux?   I don't think so though...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2052 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 15:32:23 +0900

> I set up Plan 9 system at home on a slow (K6/2-233, relatively,
> of course ☺)

Oops!

It is Cyrix PR-200 (counted as 167 MHz by Plan 9).   I forgot I had
converted the K6-2 machine to Plan 9 Auth/kfs server.   The graphics
chips was also converted to the Cyrix machine.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  6:38           ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-11-28  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:58:09AM -0500, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> A fashion?  I wish it would die.  But then again my wardrobe says
> something about doing something for the helluva it.

Some fashions never do, look at automobiles.  They still have a wheel
at each of four corners of a rectangle, with panels that bend when
bumped.

> No need to dream.  The jump from the Inferno port to a plan9 port
> is largely known territory.  It's just a whacky mips and so if you are
> willing to get the mmu/tlb stuff right then you are almost there.  The
> most interesting part is deciding what to do about graphics.  /dev/draw
> would be an easy way out (the linux guys just went for a slow X) but
> the chip is more fun than that.

A fast VNC would justify me buying it already.  Games would be a
terribly exciting option.  What are we wasting our time on 386s
for? And, last important question, how well does the chip deal with
virtualisation?

Oh, clustering would be neat too, but maybe I should keep that for
Slashdot :-)

++L

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  6:32 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-28  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-28  6:20 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-28  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  (the linux guys just went for a slow X)

Yeah!
I set up Plan 9 system at home on a slow (K6/2-233, relatively,
of course ☺) machine with a S3 Virge/GX (4MB) graphic chip for
1024x768x16, and RedHat Linux 7.2 is also running on the same
machine.   I found X is very very slow when compared with rio. ^_^

Anyway, PS2 Plan 9 is running in anywhere?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  5:58         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2002-11-28  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-11-28  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:41:07PM -0500, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> dynamic loading and shared libraries are distinct (put related) beasts.
> the work i did was for dynamically loadable device drivers for inferno.
> it's kinda cool.  the initial kernel is tiny, even by inferno standards,
> and then other drivers are loaded to customize the experience
> (typically i load cap ssl kfs and sd).  i also use it to load drivers
> that are used on occasion, like kprof or a generic systest.
> the interface is via devdynload.

I remember loadable device drivers being mooted a while back.  I like
the idea a lot, although it seems backwards to me: repeating the
bootstrap stuff in the kernel always struck me as evil, if
unavoidable.  Ideally you'd want to "load" at least some kernel
drivers by inheriting them from the bootstrap loader.  I'm not sure
that the difference can't be minimised almost to nothingness.

@ 2002-11-27 22:49 Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2002-11-27 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> btw e[acl] is the compiler port for the playstation 2 ee5900

Is this for writing PS2 games or for running plan9 on the PS2+hard drive
combo they sell for running Linux?

--Joel
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of
the tunnel has been turned off.

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-27 18:41     ` Bruce Ellis