* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  6:42 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-28  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In addition, I have to wait loooooong time to bootup linux.
This is similar or longer to bootup time of Windows 98 of my another machine.
Plan 9 teminal, if compared witho those, boots up in an instant.  ☺

Kenji   --Am I insulting Linux?   I don't think so though...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2052 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 15:32:23 +0900

> I set up Plan 9 system at home on a slow (K6/2-233, relatively,
> of course ☺)

Oops!

It is Cyrix PR-200 (counted as 167 MHz by Plan 9).   I forgot I had
converted the K6-2 machine to Plan 9 Auth/kfs server.   The graphics
chips was also converted to the Cyrix machine.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  9:49 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-28  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> hmm. I've seen 12 second-to-multiuser boots or less with linuxbios
> machines from power-on. I have a busybox linux+linuxbios box that boots in
> 5 seconds -- no /etc/rc nonsense in there though. This is the first box
> I've had that boots faster than an LCD can go from sleep mode to
> displaying.

What is linuxbios machine?  It's BIOS is what written in ROM?

> The problem now is idiot /etc/rc scripts. I have a k6 with normal bios
> that boots redhat 6 faster than a k7+linuxbios box -- the difference is
> the stupid scripts. Lots of 'sleep x' in those things. yuck.

Yes, many server programs are starting during booting of individual desktop
Linux box.   Kanji treating servers are also neccessary to us.  I must wait more
than 1 minutes untill I can login to the machine!!   This is much expanded when
we use gnome...   I believe this is not rare for many of Linux users.

> I like Plan 9 but fast boots is not something I've seen in use.

Probably, your setting would be something special than us, I believe.
When we wnat to use a machine as our desktop, we want to save power when we
are not using, and expect fast booting when we need it.   I choose Plan 9 definitly
than Windows or Unices from this point (other reasons are also there though).
Plan 9 separated terminals from servers, and it contributed for this purpose.
Am I wrong?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-28  6:32 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-28  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-11-28  6:20 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-28  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  (the linux guys just went for a slow X)

Yeah!
I set up Plan 9 system at home on a slow (K6/2-233, relatively,
of course ☺) machine with a S3 Virge/GX (4MB) graphic chip for
1024x768x16, and RedHat Linux 7.2 is also running on the same
machine.   I found X is very very slow when compared with rio. ^_^

Anyway, PS2 Plan 9 is running in anywhere?

Kenji

* [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
@ 2002-11-27 22:49 Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2002-11-27 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> btw e[acl] is the compiler port for the playstation 2 ee5900

Is this for writing PS2 games or for running plan9 on the PS2+hard drive
combo they sell for running Linux?

--Joel
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of
the tunnel has been turned off.

* Re: [9fans] Ugly Q, I admit
@ 2002-11-26 21:00 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-26 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Does this imply that it would not be difficult to implement dynamic linking natively in Plan 9?

the difficult part of dynamic linking is more in the compiler
and linker than in the kernel proper.  since i'm just running
already-created linux binaries, there's hardly any trouble.

the linuxemu i posted has an "mmap" function that allocates
memory and reads the whole file into it.  not quite the most
efficient way to do it.  i wrote a real mmap for the kernel at the
time, but it didn't seem worth keeping.  the user-side interface
for the kernel mmap is commented out.