* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14 16:35 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-14 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rvs, 9fans

> >  Plan 9 makes it easy via 9p, its file system/resource sharing
> > protocol. In plan 9, things like graphics and network drivers export a
> > 9p interface (a filetree). Furthermore, 9p is network transparent
> > which means accesses to remote resources look exactly like accesses to
> > local resources, and this is the main trick - processes do not care
> > whether the file they are interested in is being served by the kernel,
> > a userspace process, or a machine half way across the world.
>
> All very true. And it sure does provide enormous benefits on distributed
> memory architectures. But do you know of any part that would be
> beneficial for highly-SMP systems?

do you have some reason to believe that 9p (or just read and write)
is not effective on such a machine?

since scheduling would be the main shared resource, do you think
it would be the limiting factor?

- erik

* [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14  8:45 ssecorp
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: ssecorp @ 2008-07-14  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

from wikipedia:
"Plan 9 from Bell Labs is a distributed operating system, primarily
used for research."

but it doesnt say anything more about the distributed part.

I have recently found a big interest in concurrency, distributed
systems and multicore-programming.

So is Plan 9 good for a multicore-computer or what kind of distributed
system is it made for?

In what way does it make it easy?