* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14 16:35 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-14 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rvs, 9fans

> >  Plan 9 makes it easy via 9p, its file system/resource sharing
> > protocol. In plan 9, things like graphics and network drivers export a
> > 9p interface (a filetree). Furthermore, 9p is network transparent
> > which means accesses to remote resources look exactly like accesses to
> > local resources, and this is the main trick - processes do not care
> > whether the file they are interested in is being served by the kernel,
> > a userspace process, or a machine half way across the world.
>
> All very true. And it sure does provide enormous benefits on distributed
> memory architectures. But do you know of any part that would be
> beneficial for highly-SMP systems?

do you have some reason to believe that 9p (or just read and write)
is not effective on such a machine?

since scheduling would be the main shared resource, do you think
it would be the limiting factor?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-18  3:31         ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2008-07-18  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-17 19:29       ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2008-07-17 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:50:46 PDT Paul Lalonde <plalonde@telus.net>  wrote:

> On 15-Jul-08, at 1:01 AM, Bakul Shah wrote:
> >
> > I suspect a lot of this complexity will end up being dropped
> > when you don't have to worry about efficiently using the last
> > N% of cpu cycles.
>
> Would that I weren't working on a multi-core graphics part...  That N%
> is what the game is all about.

I was really wondering about what might happen when there are
100s of cores per die. My reasoning was that more and more
cores can be (and will be) put on a die but a corresponding
increase in off chip memory bandwidth will not be possible so
at some point memory bottleneck will prevent 100% use of
cores even if you assume ideal placement of threads and no
thread movement to a different core.

> > When your bottleneck is memory bandwidth
> > using core 100% is not going to happen in general.
>
> But in most cases, that memory movement has to share the bus with
> increasingly remote cache accesses, which in turn take bandwidth.
> Affinity is a serious win for reducing on-chip bandwidth usage in
> cache-coherent many-core systems.

I was certainly not suggesting moving threads around.  I was
speculating that as the number of cores goes up perhaps the
kernel is not the right place to do affinity scheduling or
much any sophisticated scheduling.

> >  And I am
> > not sure thread placement belongs in the kernel.  Why not let
> > an application manage its allocation of h/w thread x cycle
> > resources?  I am not even sure a full kernel belongs on every
> > core.
>
> I'm still looking for the right scheduler, in kernel or user space,
> that lets me deal with affinitizing 3 resources that run at different
> granularities: per-core cache, hardware-thread-to-core, and cross-chip
> caches.  There's a rough hierarchy implied by these three resources,
> and perfect scheduling might be possible in a purely cooperative
> world, but reality imposes pre-emption and resource virtualization.

Some friends of mine are able to sqeeze a lot of parallelism
out supposedly hard to parallelize code.  But this is in a
purely cooperative worlds where they assume threads don't
move and where machines are dedicated to specific tasks.

@ 2008-07-17 13:00             ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-07-17 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:40 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> what i have seen is that the intel 82598 10gbit chip, by keeping
> its tx and rx descriptor rings in cachable regular memory can
> mash the fsb to little bits.  it's still pretty fast, though.

it's funny how often this lesson is relearned. But cost is the driver,
and memory-free NICS are cheaper ... there are even memory-free
infiniband cards now. But I remember a A Quadrics guy telling me he
never wanted to put descriptors into main memory ever, ever again.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-17 12:40           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-17 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> These two set of resources can be "attached" to each other in a number
> of different ways (e.g. L1 could be the only per-core cache or L2
> could also be per-core, etc.) and the job of a scheduler is to figure
> out the best mapping of tasks to compute resources based on
> alignment constraints. Paul had a nice post on these constraints
> earlier. Here's an old post from Ingo outlining what is NOT free
> with HyperThreading:
>    http://lwn.net/Articles/8553/

in my performace testing, try and theorize as i might, i have not
yet been able to see l2 or other cache effects on intel machines.
i may have seen l1 cache effects, but i rather think the reason
that pinning the process to a cpu helped was that it was being
scheduled when it wasn't needed on the other cpu.  (that is, the
design was wrong anway.)

what i have seen is that the intel 82598 10gbit chip, by keeping
its tx and rx descriptor rings in cachable regular memory can
mash the fsb to little bits.  it's still pretty fast, though.

there's no use going fast, if you have no data to go fast on.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-17 12:26         ` Roman V. Shaposhnik
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2008-07-17 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 18:12 -0400, a@9srv.net wrote:
> // Not just inexpensive, but also better aligned with how
> // they use compute resources (virtual vs. physical threads)
> // and memory resources.
>
> Hrm. I know about the memory/cache issues, but it sounds
> like there's more on the CPU side I don't know much about.
> Is there more here beyond the memory question and
> prediction/pipelining?

With, what is called CMT, we now have the following hierarchy
of compute resources:
  -> physical CPU
      -> cores
          -> virtual threads
and the following set (I can't quite call it a hierarchy) of memory
resources:
  physical RAM attached to a particular CPU's memory controller
  L3/L2 cache
  L1 cache
These two set of resources can be "attached" to each other in a number
of different ways (e.g. L1 could be the only per-core cache or L2
could also be per-core, etc.) and the job of a scheduler is to figure
out the best mapping of tasks to compute resources based on
alignment constraints. Paul had a nice post on these constraints
earlier. Here's an old post from Ingo outlining what is NOT free
with HyperThreading:
   http://lwn.net/Articles/8553/

> // Speaking of which -- is SPARC port of Plan9 still alive?
>
> Not really. There's a partially-working sparc64 port out there
> which ran on the Ultra 1 (I think), but it's neither been kept up
> to date nor made to run on anything beyond that. A few folks
> (including myself) have poked at it a bit with varying results,
> none of which were particularly good.
>
> Something on Batoka would provide better motivation than my
> old Ultra 5, though!

I don't think I can help much with that, but if I ever see a
homeless Batoka in the hallway it'll be FedExed to you in
no time ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-15 17:50     ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2008-07-15 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 15-Jul-08, at 1:01 AM, Bakul Shah wrote:

> I suspect a lot of this complexity will end up being dropped
> when you don't have to worry about efficiently using the last
> N% of cpu cycles.

Would that I weren't working on a multi-core graphics part...  That N%
is what the game is all about.

> When your bottleneck is memory bandwidth
> using core 100% is not going to happen in general.

But in most cases, that memory movement has to share the bus with
increasingly remote cache accesses, which in turn take bandwidth.
Affinity is a serious win for reducing on-chip bandwidth usage in
cache-coherent many-core systems.

>  And I am
> not sure thread placement belongs in the kernel.  Why not let
> an application manage its allocation of h/w thread x cycle
> resources?  I am not even sure a full kernel belongs on every
> core.

I'm still looking for the right scheduler, in kernel or user space,
that lets me deal with affinitizing 3 resources that run at different
granularities: per-core cache, hardware-thread-to-core, and cross-chip
caches.  There's a rough hierarchy implied by these three resources,
and perfect scheduling might be possible in a purely cooperative
world, but reality imposes pre-emption and resource virtualization.

> Unlike you I think the kernel should do even less as more and
> more cores are added.  It should basically stay out of the
> way.  Less government, more privatization :-)  So may be
> the plan9 kernel would a better starting point than a Unix
> kernel.

Agreed, less and less in the kernel, but *enough*.  I like resource
virtualization, and as long as it gets affinity right, I win.

Paul

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-15  8:01   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2008-07-15  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:33:01 PDT "Roman V. Shaposhnik" <rvs@sun.com>  wrote:
> Solaris's scheduler is not shy when it comes to big iron (100+ CPU SMP
> boxes) but even it had to be heavily tuned when a Batoka box first
> came to the labs. When you have physcical threads (CPUs), virtual
> threads and a non trivial memory hierarchy -- the decision of what
> is the best place (hardware-wise) for a give thread to run becomes
> a non-trivial one. Kernels that can track affinity properly rule
> the day.

I suspect a lot of this complexity will end up being dropped
when you don't have to worry about efficiently using the last
N% of cpu cycles.  When your bottleneck is memory bandwidth
using core 100% is not going to happen in general.  And I am

@ 2008-07-15  1:37   ` Joel C. Salomon
From: Joel C. Salomon @ 2008-07-15  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Roman V. Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com> wrote:
> the day. I don't think that Plan9 scheduler has had an
> opportunity to be tuned for such an environment. Same goes for
> virtual memory page related algorithms.

The scheduling code does have a heuristic for processor affinity, so
there's a model for what to tune when you have the MSMP machine to
play with.

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14 22:12       ` a
From: a @ 2008-07-14 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// Not just inexpensive, but also better aligned with how
// they use compute resources (virtual vs. physical threads)
// and memory resources.

Hrm. I know about the memory/cache issues, but it sounds
like there's more on the CPU side I don't know much about.
Is there more here beyond the memory question and
prediction/pipelining?

I'm reading the PDF you referenced now.

// Speaking of which -- is SPARC port of Plan9 still alive?

Not really. There's a partially-working sparc64 port out there
which ran on the Ultra 1 (I think), but it's neither been kept up
to date nor made to run on anything beyond that. A few folks
(including myself) have poked at it a bit with varying results,
none of which were particularly good.

Something on Batoka would provide better motivation than my
old Ultra 5, though!

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14 20:43     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-07-14 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> // But do you know of any part [of Plan 9] that would be
> // beneficial for highly-SMP systems?

one difference from many of the others is that plan 9, both kernel and applications,
were written with multiprocessors in mind, at least up to 32 or so, so data structure
locking was included as the code was written, and processes (kprocs in the kernel)
were used (or not) as appropriate.  generally, the granularity used seems appropriate.
kernel processes can be pre-empted. there is plenty of scope for parallelism.

many others started with a non-preemptible kernel and added a big global lock,
and gradually, very gradually changed code to use locks at finer granularity.
sometimes.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14 20:39     ` Roman V. Shaposhnik
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2008-07-14 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 16:08 -0400, a@9srv.net wrote:
> // But do you know of any part [of Plan 9] that would be
> // beneficial for highly-SMP systems?
>
> Beneficial compared to what, I guess.

Lets say a typical Linux kernel.

       [not found] <f1209aefaab5eece7465c3d0df545ddd@quanstro.net>
@ 2008-07-14 20:33 ` Roman V. Shaposhnik
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2008-07-14 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom; +Cc: 9fans

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 12:35 -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > >  Plan 9 makes it easy via 9p, its file system/resource sharing
> > > protocol. In plan 9, things like graphics and network drivers export a
> > > 9p interface (a filetree). Furthermore, 9p is network transparent
> > > which means accesses to remote resources look exactly like accesses to
> > > local resources, and this is the main trick - processes do not care
> > > whether the file they are interested in is being served by the kernel,
> > > a userspace process, or a machine half way across the world.
> >
> > All very true. And it sure does provide enormous benefits on distributed
> > memory architectures. But do you know of any part that would be
> > beneficial for highly-SMP systems?
>
> do you have some reason to believe that 9p (or just read and write)
> is not effective on such a machine?

I have some (not a whole lot, since I haven't looked at source code
for a while) reason to believe that the current 9P implementation
doesn't seem to exploit the opportunity when both ends happen to run
on the same shared memory. I would love to be proved wrong. Although,
the higher level issue that I have with 9P on a shared memory
architectures is the fact that file and communication abstractions
might not be the best way to represent the shared memory resources
to begin with. IOW, mmap()-like things might be a closer match.

> since scheduling would be the main shared resource, do you think
> it would be the limiting factor?

Yes. And that's where the comment in my first email came from:
scheduling is a tricky thing on a shared memory NUMA-like systems.
Solaris's scheduler is not shy when it comes to big iron (100+ CPU SMP
boxes) but even it had to be heavily tuned when a Batoka box first
came to the labs. When you have physcical threads (CPUs), virtual
threads and a non trivial memory hierarchy -- the decision of what
is the best place (hardware-wise) for a give thread to run becomes
a non-trivial one. Kernels that can track affinity properly rule
the day. I don't think that Plan9 scheduler has had an
opportunity to be tuned for such an environment. Same goes for
virtual memory page related algorithms.

Here's a decent (albeit brief) overview of what kernel has to
face these days in order to be reasonably savvy on shared memory,
multicore architectures with NUMA-like memory hierarchy:
   http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2008/downloads/pdf/Wednesday_1015am_Rik_Van_Riel_Hot_Topics.pdf
Start from slide #13.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14 20:08   ` a
From: a @ 2008-07-14 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// But do you know of any part [of Plan 9] that would be
// beneficial for highly-SMP systems?

Beneficial compared to what, I guess. I agree with your
comment that most of the pressure is on the application
rather than the kernel. The kernel's biggest contribution here
is keeping processes inexpensive compared to unix. As for the
system overall, there's something to be said for decomposing
problems to interfaces that can be represented in the
namespace; then, to a large extent, it doesn't matter whether
we're talking about one box or many.

// On the other hand, may be the trick is not to scale a single
// kernel on something like that but have multiple kernels
// running under something like Xen or kvm.

There's certainly something to be said for this in many cases,
but it hardly takes away any burden from application
developers. They've just got more practice doing it for logically
distinct machines. It lets kernel developers off the hook, but
I'm not sure that's a good thing.

@ 2008-07-14 16:31   ` Roman V. Shaposhnik
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2008-07-14 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 17:08 +0800, sqweek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM, ssecorp <circularfunc@gmail.com> wrote:
> > from wikipedia:
> > "Plan 9 from Bell Labs is a distributed operating system, primarily
> > used for research."
> >
> > but it doesnt say anything more about the distributed part.
> >
> > In what way does it make it easy?
>
>  Plan 9 makes it easy via 9p, its file system/resource sharing
> protocol. In plan 9, things like graphics and network drivers export a
> 9p interface (a filetree). Furthermore, 9p is network transparent
> which means accesses to remote resources look exactly like accesses to
> local resources, and this is the main trick - processes do not care
> whether the file they are interested in is being served by the kernel,
> a userspace process, or a machine half way across the world.

All very true. And it sure does provide enormous benefits on distributed
memory architectures. But do you know of any part that would be
beneficial for highly-SMP systems?

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-07-14 16:29 ` Roman V. Shaposhnik
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2008-07-14 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 08:45 +0000, ssecorp wrote:
> from wikipedia:
> "Plan 9 from Bell Labs is a distributed operating system, primarily
> used for research."
>
> but it doesnt say anything more about the distributed part.
>
> I have recently found a big interest in concurrency, distributed
> systems and multicore-programming.
>
> So is Plan 9 good for a multicore-computer or what kind of distributed
> system is it made for?

I believe the real question is not whether Plan9 is good for multicore,
but whether multicore is any good as a long term computing strategy.

My personal impression has always been that Plan9 is the best OS for
distributed memory systems. I believe that folks working with IBM can
elaborate on that. As for the shared memory (whether NUMA or not) the
pressure is more on application (and thus application level languages
and tools) than on OS. It'll be interesting to see how a single Plan9
kernel scales on something like a Batoka box (256 hardware threads per
box, 64 physical cores). On the other hand, may be the trick is not

@ 2008-07-14 16:17   ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2008-07-14 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

more on 9p at http://9p.cat-v.org

--
iru

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14 16:00   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-14 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If libthread is able to grab real processors per thread and get them
> scheduled, one's concurrent style code ultimately ends up having potential
> to run in parallel on those cores/processors.

due to the specific meaning of "thread" in the thread
library, this statement is misleading.

only procs may run in parallel.  threads are scheduled
cooperatively.  since procs are scheduled by the kernel,
the kernel is responsible for scheduling procs; the thread
library doesn't grab processors.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14 15:32 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-07-14 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 1:45 AM, ssecorp <circularfunc@gmail.com> wrote:

> from wikipedia:
> "Plan 9 from Bell Labs is a distributed operating system, primarily
> used for research."
>
> but it doesnt say anything more about the distributed part.
>
> I have recently found a big interest in concurrency, distributed
> systems and multicore-programming.
>
> So is Plan 9 good for a multicore-computer or what kind of distributed
> system is it made for?
>
> In what way does it make it easy?
>
> Assuming that the kernel can address multiple cores and SMP systems (I've
never tried it but I assume it can), one can write code in C via a library
called libthread, which provides a mechanism for writing concurrent programs
(originally meant to help port the programs written in the ill-fated but
very cool language Alef to C).
It features threads and typed data channels for interprocess communication
in a CSP sort of organization.

If libthread is able to grab real processors per thread and get them
scheduled, one's concurrent style code ultimately ends up having potential
to run in parallel on those cores/processors.

I think this method of writing programs designed to work on multi-core
systems is a good one.  As do the folks who use Concurrent Haskell, or even
Erlang and perhaps Scala and other "new languages".  In a sense this makes
writing code for multiple cores "easy" on Plan 9.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14 10:15 ` a
From: a @ 2008-07-14 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In addition to sqweek's good reply:
The "distributed" part also refers to how a typical installation is
structured. The system responsible for authenticating you, your
file server, the cpu server you run processes on, and the terminal
you're typing at may well all be distinct computers, but for the
most part none of the application code knows anything about
networking. The system takes care of it for you (mostly thanks to
9p, as sqweek described).
In terms of concurrency, that's more of a programming question
than an OS question (which isn't to say the OS isn't relevant).
Plan 9's thread(2) library is probably the most relevant thing
there. It follows a very different (and easier to learn, read, and
write) model than the threads you see in other systems. Plan
9 mostly helps there by making things lighter, encouraging the
use of multiple processes where other systems penalize it; the
library itself is now available on unix through plan9port.
Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14  9:08 ` sqweek
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: sqweek @ 2008-07-14  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM, ssecorp <circularfunc@gmail.com> wrote:
> from wikipedia:
> "Plan 9 from Bell Labs is a distributed operating system, primarily
> used for research."
>
> but it doesnt say anything more about the distributed part.
>
> In what way does it make it easy?

 Plan 9 makes it easy via 9p, its file system/resource sharing
protocol. In plan 9, things like graphics and network drivers export a
9p interface (a filetree). Furthermore, 9p is network transparent
which means accesses to remote resources look exactly like accesses to
local resources, and this is the main trick - processes do not care
whether the file they are interested in is being served by the kernel,
a userspace process, or a machine half way across the world.
-sqweek

* [9fans] Plan 9 and multicores/parallelism/concurrency?
@ 2008-07-14  8:45 ssecorp
                   ` (3 more replies)