* Re: [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
@ 2001-03-07 22:41 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-03-07 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

:  A searchable web site might be a good idea, again, assuming the wiki
:  is not the preferable tool (I really must take a look at it).  There
:  Vita Nuova would seem in a favourable position indeed.

Can the wiki installed for plan9 be used to put files other than web pages?
Is the wiki maintainer (rsc?) willing to let us put the files there?

If both answers are yes, I'm willing to spend some time on this. I'd start
with the wonderful rsc's software page (if he doesn't mind) and turn it
into a wiki page for contributed software.

* Re: [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
@ 2001-03-08 16:04 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>had masses of unwashed laborors to put everything together (often in
>>unsanitary and unsafe conditions, but I digress....) once it had been

indeed, that does sound, or rather smell, like many undergraduate PC classrooms...
especially when that project is due.

* Re: [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
@ 2001-03-08 13:01 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-03-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	perhaps he had in mind that it was noisy, bright and colourful, and if
	you took something without paying you got your hand chopped off.

Or maybe haggling for hours over the details of payment with someone
who doesn't speak your language.

Catheter and the bizarre is closer to the truth. In one case you're force
fed by professionals; in the other anything can happen.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
@ 2001-03-08 10:00 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-03-08 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the use of Bazaar is peculiar too; i suspected the author was one of those who
> referred to his books as `tomes'.  perhaps he had in mind that it was noisy,
> bright and colourful, and if you took something without paying you got your hand chopped off.
> no, that can't be right ...

Yes, and you think your buying a horse but it turns out to be a camel?

* Re: [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
@ 2001-03-08  9:27 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-08  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>As I'm not any native English speaker, I don't see why Cathedral and Bazaar
>>is tied with each other here.  ;_;

no, you're quite right.  it's a mixed metaphor.  Cathedral and (Nonconformist) Chapel
would associate properly, or Magisterium and Free Thinker perhaps.
the use of Bazaar is peculiar too; i suspected the author was one of those who
referred to his books as `tomes'.  perhaps he had in mind that it was noisy,
bright and colourful, and if you took something without paying you got your hand chopped off.
no, that can't be right ...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2213 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:03:35 0900

>not faithful followers of the "Cathedral and the Bazaar" religion.

As I'm not any native English speaker, I don't see why Cathedral and Bazaar
is tied with each other here.  ;_;

If you are not saying the case of limbo and alef, we can put anything to
public, I think.   Judging to incorporate it into the next release is depend
on those who will make distibution.  Even if, unfortunately, it will not be
incorporated, you can distribute it separately, and others can select what
s/he wants.   I think this is very natural...  I prefer controled distribution
rather than anarchy one, particularly for its core part.

In the case of alef and limbo, it may be difficult to judge, because no one
can live without money today.  ^_^  Of course, I know limbo and alef are
different language each other, though.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
@ 2001-03-08  7:03 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-03-08  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-03-07 22:15 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-03-07 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

: Unless I'm misinterpreting the mood, I would think that Bell Labs are
: not faithful followers of the "Cathedral and the Bazaar" religion.

I just don't like bazaars, I was talking about silly tiny tools,
nice plumber rules, etc. that cannot be considered as part of the release.
And it was just to avoid using google to locate new tools done this month
by 9fans...
...you know, mpeg3play, acd, rgb, pop3get, ext2fs, et al.

* Re: [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
@ 2001-03-07 21:50 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-03-07 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is not the case, since I did it to learn; but
I think most of us are reimplementing silly tools
just because we consider them too silly to post a mail
to the list saying `new silly tool available'.

I'd propose that anytime any of us implements one of these
silly tools, we drop a line to the list. That way we can
save some time.

Or perhaps it's time to setup a kind of  official ftp area with
contributed sw (vitanuova site?) so any new user could download it
all at a go.

just an idea...

* [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
@ 2001-03-07 21:34 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-03-07 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

	to play with draw I implemented a silly program that
I think is useful. It lets you adjust a % using the mouse.
For example, I use it as in

	slider -f 'audio out %d' >>/dev/volume

to let me adjust the audio output level.

the source is at http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/usr/nemo/export/slider.c

* Re: [9fans] silly slider tool for rio
@ 2001-03-07 15:24 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-03-07 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For a quicky demo we've been putting together, I built a little
library of graphics controls.  A volume control, coincidentally, was
one of the things I had to build; it came out as a variant scroll bar,
with a little foresight.  It needs a lot of soaking and a bug fix in
libdraw, and it's far from exhaustive, but I like the way it works.
The approach is sound and I may well end up rebuilding it to make a
proper tool set.  For the immediate purposes, however, I took a lot of
shortcuts that make it not suitable for general use.

-rob