* Re: [9fans] fs config problem status update (still unsolved)
@ 2002-03-01  8:09 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-03-01  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I changed the constant to use 16K blocks, since I think that would
probably be better for speed and disks are big. But if you have
problems to recompile it send me a mail and I'll put a binary with
8K blocks for you to download.

hth

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] fs config problem status update (still unsolved)
From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
Sender: 9fans-admin@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:17:59 +0100

> > Is the ide-patched fs kernel 'compatible' with the plan9pc one?
> > Or do the on-disk structures differ (w.r.t. 'using 16K blocks')
>
> it's just a compile-time constant; you can recompile, right?

Certainly. But with my fs in the state that it is now,
I thought I'd try for a change to ask (a) question(s) first,
rather than only after the calf has drowned :-)
(or however you say this in english).

Thanks for confirming that indeed this is a compile time constant,
Axel.

* Re: [9fans] fs config problem status update (still unsolved)
@ 2002-03-01 10:35 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-03-01 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I changed the constant to use 16K blocks, since I think that would
> probably be better for speed and disks are big. But if you have
> problems to recompile it send me a mail and I'll put a binary with
> 8K blocks for you to download.

Thanks for the offer. Recompiling in itself shouldn't be a problem.
After running diff between the original fs and the patched code
I was just trying to make sure which differences can be ignored
(almost all, I understand now) and which need attention
(the block size, which is (solely) determined by RBUFSIZE, correct?)

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] fs config problem status update (still unsolved)
@ 2002-03-01 13:16 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-03-01 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

: After running diff between the original fs and the patched code
: I was just trying to make sure which differences can be ignored
: (the block size, which is (solely) determined by RBUFSIZE, correct?)

correct, AFAIK

* Re: [9fans] fs config problem status update (still unsolved)
@ 2002-02-28 21:59 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-02-28 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >>Or could I use pieces of kfs?
[details omitted]
> it can be done, though.

Thanks! I'll have a look tomorrow!
Axel.

* Re: [9fans] fs config problem status update (still unsolved)
@ 2002-02-28 21:19 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-02-28 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Or could I use pieces of kfs?
disk/kfs reorders some of the disc structures to allow a choice of
block size on the command line, so you can't use it directly to read
an fs(8) structure.  if you're v keen or desperate, you
can do a variant of kfs that uses the file server's ordering of disc structures,
mainly by reordering structure members and making them static sizes.
it must be a good seven years ago i made the changes (for an older
version of plan 9) and i haven't got the code now.  i can't even remember
what happened that caused me to make the effort.
it can be done, though.

* Re: [9fans] fs config problem status update (still unsolved)
@ 2002-02-28 21:17 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-02-28 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-02-28 21:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-02-28 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-02-28 21:06     ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-02-28 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hoping this still doesn't bore to much, yet another short update.

I have added an ide disk containing a stand-alone plan 9
installation to the fs pc, and can look at the /dev/sd*/data.
On the worm I can see strings that look like data, and at
(just after the start of) the cache I see the configuration.
Would there be a way (not too involved) to extract that part
of the fs code that 'parses' the on-disk data,
to interpret it (and so see whether/where the(re) problems are)?
Or could I use pieces of kfs?

Wrt things I noticed previously:
when I do 'p /dev/sd00/data' I see the config data -
and indeed there appears a single-character error
(filsss instead of filsys, or something similar).

Is the ide-patched fs kernel 'compatible' with the plan9pc one?
Or do the on-disk structures differ (w.r.t. 'using 16K blocks')

Thanks,
Axel.

* [9fans] fs config problem status update (still unsolved)
@ 2002-02-22 18:39   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-02-22 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans