* [9fans] Removal of .i files from sources?
@ 2007-12-03 22:25 Christian Kellermann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2007-12-03 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dear List,

I currently encountered the following problem:

I need to build a cpu kernel from sources. Therefore I have been
following the tip of the day recipie from the wiki. Assembling the
sd*.n files fails due to the corresponding .i files already exist.
In my current setup I cannot delete those nor touch them or change
permissions.

How can I get around this? Why are those precompiled files there
in the first place? I would not expect seeing 8c object files on
sources either... Would a removal be sensible?

Kind regards,

Christian

--
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Removal of .i files from sources?
@ 2007-12-04  9:22 ` Robert Raschke
       [not found] ` <adc391e1dfd3d40c6439b19c65d02dff@tombob.com>
From: Robert Raschke @ 2007-12-04  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian.Kellermann, 9fans

Christian Kellermann wrote:
> I need to build a cpu kernel from sources. Therefore I have been
> following the tip of the day recipie from the wiki. Assembling the
> sd*.n files fails due to the corresponding .i files already exist.
> In my current setup I cannot delete those nor touch them or change
> permissions.
>
> How can I get around this? Why are those precompiled files there
> in the first place? I would not expect seeing 8c object files on
> sources either... Would a removal be sensible?

I haven't looked at the Tip of the Day description recently, but I
have a few folders on my local tree, where I bind the central sources
into in such a way that I can have my own local files overshadowing
the central ones

bind -c $home/src/kernel/pc $home/src/kernel/pc
bind -a /sys/src/9/pc $home/src/kernel/pc

You should then be able to copy one of the central .i files into you bound location. making it read/writable for you and it overshadowing the central one.

Robby

@ 2007-12-04  9:43   ` Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2007-12-04  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Raschke; +Cc: 9fans

* Robert Raschke <rrplan9@tombob.com> [071204 10:24]:
> You should then be able to copy one of the central .i files into you bound location. making it read/writable for you and it overshadowing the central one.

Ah, that has been my mistake. I did not copy the files over. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me. It has been late yesterday...

I still ask why those files are kept in the first place though, if they are generated at each mk anyway. Other object files aren't kept there either.

Thanks Robby!

Regards,

Christian

--

@ 2007-12-04 17:45 ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2007-12-04 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I need to build a cpu kernel from sources. Therefore I have been
> following the tip of the day recipie from the wiki. Assembling the
> sd*.n files fails due to the corresponding .i files already exist.
> In my current setup I cannot delete those nor touch them or change
> permissions.

It sounds like it's time for my occasional commercial for divergefs,
a file system which lets you layer arbitrary changes on top of a
read-only file system (it even handles deletions).

If you say

% divergefs -p /some/dir /sys/src

you can build whatever you want.  And you can resume your work the
next day with the same command.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] Removal of .i files from sources?
@ 2007-12-05  8:08   ` Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2007-12-05  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Dave Eckhardt <davide+p9@cs.cmu.edu> [071204 18:55]:

> It sounds like it's time for my occasional commercial for divergefs,
> a file system which lets you layer arbitrary changes on top of a
> read-only file system (it even handles deletions).
>
> you can build whatever you want.  And you can resume your work the
> next day with the same command.

Thanks for pointing that out to me! It is indeed a nice little tool.
This should get into the default installation!

Kind regards,

Christian

--

@ 2007-12-05 13:56     ` David Leimbach