* [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-19 18:38 Eric Van Hensbergen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-05-19 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Okay, a quasi-formal Plan 9 IRC meetup happened this morning.  It went
much longer than it should have and was somewhat disorganized.  I'm
going to take a shot at moderating the next one of these and try to
add a little bit more structure so that it runs 30 minutes to a half
an hour.  I think these sort of things are a good idea every month or
so to encourage people to talk about what they are working on and to
help promote people working together.

The next "town hall" will have a set schedule and we'll have it on a
separate channel.  Anyone who wants to talk about something should add
themselves to the schedule in the WIki:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Town_Hall_Meetings/index.html

I've proposed we have the next one roughly a month from today (6/23)
at 9:30am EST.  If people can't make that time and would like to
propose another time, do it in the wiki.

There were several things which were tabled from discussion at today's
meeting as to avoid in-depth conversation on any one topic.  Hopefully
the folks who originally posed the questions will post threads to
9fans to allow more thorough discussion.  Some folks took notes on the
meeting, and hopefully those plus the irc logs will be posted to the
wiki shortly.

        -eric

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-19 18:53 ` Russ Cox
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-05-19 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Van Hensbergen, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> add a little bit more structure so that it runs 30 minutes to a half
> an hour.

Not giving yourself very much flexibility there.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-19 19:08   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-05-19 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm from IBM, that's what we call more structure.

...and I hate long meetings, even ones I can just look away from.

Meant 30 minutes to an hour.

             -eric

On 5/19/05, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > add a little bit more structure so that it runs 30 minutes to a half
> > an hour.
>
> Not giving yourself very much flexibility there.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-19 21:06 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-05-19 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Van Hensbergen, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I've proposed we have the next one roughly a month from today (6/23)
> at 9:30am EST.  If people can't make that time and would like to
> propose another time, do it in the wiki.

I know there's not going to be a time that satisfies everyone.
For me its unlikely that I can make a 9:30am meeting.  During
the summertimes that falls at 3:30am HST.  My preference would
be between 230p through 6a eastern, for what its worth.

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-19 21:16   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-05-19 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Newsham; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/19/05, Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net> wrote:
> > I've proposed we have the next one roughly a month from today (6/23)
> > at 9:30am EST.  If people can't make that time and would like to
> > propose another time, do it in the wiki.
>
> I know there's not going to be a time that satisfies everyone.
> For me its unlikely that I can make a 9:30am meeting.  During
> the summertimes that falls at 3:30am HST.  My preference would
> be between 230p through 6a eastern, for what its worth.

I'm willing to alternate between the two time slots, so that we cover
folks who can't make it at least every other month.  What do others
think about trying for an late afternoon EST slot? What's the earliest
that would be practical in Japan?

           -eric

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  0:05     ` Charles Forsyth
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-05-20  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ericvh, 9fans

> For me its unlikely that I can make a 9:30am meeting.  During
> the summertimes that falls at 3:30am HST.  My preference would

why not just invite everyone to Hawaii for a chat?  it seems to work for Grids.
or is HST the Hubble?

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  0:14       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-05-20  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> or is HST the Hubble?

nope, Hawaii time zone(s).

finding a decent time will be hard.

--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  0:21 ` Chris Collins
From: Chris Collins @ 2005-05-20  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Eric Van Hensbergen was once rumoured to have said:
> I've proposed we have the next one roughly a month from today (6/23)
> at 9:30am EST.  If people can't make that time and would like to
> propose another time, do it in the wiki.

OK, can we please make sure to post times for these things in GMT/UTC?

Not all of us know the time offset for US EST, nor live on the US East
Coast.

And I would hope most people know their time offset from GMT+0

and 'EST' is sufficently non descript since technically, the correct
prefix for Australia's "Eastern Standard Time" is also EST, and its
something like 18 hours of of whack with the US one.

C.

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  1:50       ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-05-20  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> why not just invite everyone to Hawaii for a chat?  it seems to work for
> Grids. or is HST the Hubble?

Sure,  I would like to formally invite you all to Hawaii for a plan9
chat.  Let me know when you all arrive :)

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  2:26     ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2005-05-20  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Van Hensbergen, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/20/05, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm willing to alternate between the two time slots, so that we cover
> folks who can't make it at least every other month.  What do others
> think about trying for an late afternoon EST slot? What's the earliest
> that would be practical in Japan?

If it is a weekday, then 2000 to 2100 UTC (0500-0600 JST) or a time
between 1200 to 1500 UTC (2100-midnight JST) are decent times for
us in Japan.

-vester

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  3:25         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2005-05-20  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was in Hawaii last week, could have had real meeting in Duke's
in honour of the man.  No shoes, no problem.  No IRC, no care.

brucee

On 5/20/05, Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net> wrote:
> > why not just invite everyone to Hawaii for a chat?  it seems to work for
> > Grids. or is HST the Hubble?
>
> Sure,  I would like to formally invite you all to Hawaii for a plan9
> chat.  Let me know when you all arrive :)
>
> Tim Newsham
> http://www.lava.net/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  3:54   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-05-20  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For the next meeting I suggest 16:00 US Eastern (EDT)
which is 20:00 GMT, 10:00 Hawaii, 05:00 Japan.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  4:35       ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2005-05-20  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vester Thacker, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/19/05, Vester Thacker <vester.thacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> If it is a weekday, then 2000 to 2100 UTC (0500-0600 JST) or a time
> between 1200 to 1500 UTC (2100-midnight JST) are decent times for
> us in Japan.

I'm just doing the mental estimation, and I think I'm usually just
rolling into work when my friend in Bergen is thinking about bed.

I think you're right, 1300 UTC would probably cover a pretty decent
chunk of the Plan 9 users on the planet.  Though, I'm surprised that
to see so much organization around an IRC meeting.  Usually the power
of IRC is that the meeting never really ends and you just keep handing
off the topic when the terminator hits your timezone.  A good log and
you can grep the minutes for the areas of interest and always follow
up offline or by watching the time that the other attendees of
interest are on.

Plus, being partial to the Pacific Rim I'm philosophically opposed to
any scenario that reinforces the idea that New York is the center of
the universe, Yankees be damned.  Go Ichiro. :)

Plus, looks like we have building interest from India, so I'd rather
promote that if possible.  I mean, it's not like the heavy hitters in
the western hemisphere are going to drop their support just because
the main meeting time doesn't fit their timezone.

-Jack

P.S.

It seems like the OSAF does a nice blend of formal and informal with
their IRC meetings, e.g.
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/design/2003-June/002562.html

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  5:18     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2005-05-20  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russcox, 9fans

> For the next meeting I suggest 16:00 US Eastern (EDT)
> which is 20:00 GMT, 10:00 Hawaii, 05:00 Japan.

That's 22:00 here in South Africa.  Sounds quite feasible if it's kept
to an hour or less (I like/have to get up early).

++L

* Re: [9fans] Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-05-20  5:48       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2005-05-20  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> why not just invite everyone to Hawaii for a chat?

Now your talking my language!

P.S. brucee is being a bad influence on me.

* [9fans] Re: Town Hall Meeting
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-20 14:21 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-06-20 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just a reminder, Town Hall meeting on IRC on 6/23 at 16:00 US Eastern (EDT)
which is 20:00 GMT, 10:00 Hawaii, 05:00 Japan on #plan9dev on
irc.freenode.net.  I'll be moderating this round.  Proposed agenda and
other details are up on the Wiki - please add topics you would like to
bring up including any status you would like to report.  If your
name/topic isn't on the agenda, you'll have to wait till the end of
the meeting (time/patience permitting).  Please add your name to
proposed topics.

          -eric

On 5/19/05, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, a quasi-formal Plan 9 IRC meetup happened this morning.  It went
> much longer than it should have and was somewhat disorganized.  I'm
> going to take a shot at moderating the next one of these and try to
> add a little bit more structure so that it runs 30 minutes to a half
> an hour.  I think these sort of things are a good idea every month or
> so to encourage people to talk about what they are working on and to
> help promote people working together.
>
> The next "town hall" will have a set schedule and we'll have it on a
> separate channel.  Anyone who wants to talk about something should add
> themselves to the schedule in the WIki:
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Town_Hall_Meetings/index.html
>
> I've proposed we have the next one roughly a month from today (6/23)
> at 9:30am EST.  If people can't make that time and would like to
> propose another time, do it in the wiki.
>
> There were several things which were tabled from discussion at today's
> meeting as to avoid in-depth conversation on any one topic.  Hopefully
> the folks who originally posed the questions will post threads to
> 9fans to allow more thorough discussion.  Some folks took notes on the
> meeting, and hopefully those plus the irc logs will be posted to the
> wiki shortly.
>
>         -eric

* Re: [9fans] Re: Town Hall Meeting
@ 2005-06-23 23:44   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-06-23 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The summary of the town hall meeting has been posted to the wiki at:

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/thm_2005-06-23_Summary/

Thanks to Eric for doing a great job moderating.

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] Town hall meeting
@ 2005-09-10 22:49     ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2005-09-10 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 11:38:56PM +0200, Francisco Ballesteros wrote:
> Forsyth is not going to be connected the 17th. Let´s schedule
> for the 24th (third saturday, same hour).
OK with me, but would be nice to agree to use that same day/time for
future THMs.

> I cant update the wiki from here (no plan 9, no plan b).
There is always drawterm ;)

> If nobody else does before monday, I´ll update it then.
I already updated the wiki page; also have changed the irc network to
irc.oftc.net due to recent restrictions on non-registered users and
other problems in irc.freenode.org

I hope everyone is OK with that.

Also I would like to use this opportunity to announce #plan9.es also in
irc.oftc.net, a channel for Spanish speaking 9fans.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] Town hall meeting
       [not found] ` <169648f9cadea093585dc1eae614eb66@terzarima.net>
@ 2005-09-10 21:38   ` Francisco Ballesteros
From: Francisco Ballesteros @ 2005-09-10 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Forsyth; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Forsyth is not going to be connected the 17th. Let´s schedule
for the 24th (third saturday, same hour).
I cant update the wiki from here (no plan 9, no plan b). If nobody else
does before monday, I´ll update it then.

Hope it´s ok for everybody now.

On 9/10/05, Charles Forsyth <forsyth@terzarima.net> wrote:
> unfortunately i'm away from the net on that date.

* [9fans] Town hall meeting
@ 2005-09-09 23:19 Francisco Ballesteros
       [not found] ` <169648f9cadea093585dc1eae614eb66@terzarima.net>
From: Francisco Ballesteros @ 2005-09-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ok. So, let´s 'officially' schedule the next THM for
september 17th, 20h GMT.

I was proposing the third week, but there's so much
discussion here that I suggest the 17th instead.

I have updated the wiki.

hth