* [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-18 10:18 Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-18 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

  here's my question for today

  over the years i've rather got used to home, end and the cursor
  keys. I find it slightly cumbersome so reach for the mouse to move
  up a line in acme and I keep instinctively press the up key and lose
  my concentration when I find myself a page away.

  So, is there a simple way to enable those keys to move as I expect
  them to (without hacking the source)?

  If not then my supplementary is why?
  What's the philosophy of not allowing the cursor keys to move the cursor?

  Same goes for the shell. I love the freeform nature of it but really
  miss home and end. Ctrl-U is about as good as it seems to get.

  I hope I'm missing something, I'd be disappointed to lose out on all
  that keyboard training.

--
Best regards,
 Matt                          mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

* Re: Re[2]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19  8:29 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-05-19  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> in windows if you select some text and press backspace you delete the
> selected text. If you select some text in acme it replaces the current
> text with a backspace so it also deletes the character to the left of
> your selected text. So, as you must do, I select one less then the
> ones I want to delete.

type "esc", but beware that cuts it
rather than deleting it (i.e., it ends
up in the snarf buffer).

russ

* Re: Re[4]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19  8:48 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-05-19  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there's little function key support.
the function keys only got properly
handled in the keyboard driver two years ago.

the use of escape is a historical choice that i
don't fully understand.  (it's been in sam from
research unix, and i wasn't around then.)  maybe
someone else will comment.

> To: Russ Cox <9fans@cse.psu.edu>

hmm...  that works, i suppose, but it's not
exactly direct.

russ

* Re: Re[4]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19  9:17 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-05-19  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>the use of escape is a historical choice that i
>>don't fully understand.  (it's been in sam from
>>research unix, and i wasn't around then.)  maybe
>>someone else will comment.

smalltalk80 used esc to select the most recently typed text,
and ``destructive backspace'' also deleted the character preceding
the selection (makes sense given an empty selection);
``delete'' cut the current text selection.

smalltalk80 implementations typically didn't implement cursor keys,
or at least the one i tried briefly,
sensibly enough since most of the keyboards hadn't got them  (whooo!)
(like my Happy Hacking kbd now).  the cursor keys were needed
by DOS and many glass teletypes because they moved a blob cursor
round the screen.

[parent not found: <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>]
* Re: Re[4]: [9fans] home, end ^h^j^k^l
@ 2001-05-19 15:39 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-05-19 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> That's pretty cool. I suppose it would be a waste of space to
> record who deleted a file as well?

The directory will have its muid set to the most recent deleter or
creator of a file within.  There's no other obvious place to record
the information for deleting a file, since the file is gone.

-rob