* [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-13 15:41 Eric Van Hensbergen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2004-12-13 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I took a horrible, horrible picture.  Hopefully Geoff has some that look better.

>From left to right:

Russ, Rob, Presto, Newsham, m4dh4tt3r, shailib, ???, ???, Andrey's
envoy, Geoff, and Ron Minnich (who you can see cause he's trying to
boot Xen on his laptop).  Not sure who the guy in the back was (or two
of the people in the front) - feel free to add in your name if I
missed you.

Sorry about the poor quality - I need to get a better flash for Christmas.

              -eric

[-- Attachment #2: osdi_bof.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 26942 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-13 15:55   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2004-12-13 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, C H Forsyth wrote:

> >>I took a horrible, horrible picture.
>
> from the result i should say you are clearly vying for the contract to produce
> Mr Blunkett's biometric identity cards.

yeah but he caught me from the best possible angle :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-13 15:58 ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2004-12-13 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ericvh, 9fans

>>I took a horrible, horrible picture.

from the result i should say you are clearly vying for the contract to produce
Mr Blunkett's biometric identity cards.

* RE: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-13 16:01 ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2004-12-13 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

9fans-bounces+ngr=9fs.org@cse.psu.edu wrote:
> I took a horrible, horrible picture.  Hopefully Geoff has some
> that look better.
>
>> From left to right:
>
> Russ, Rob, Presto, Newsham, m4dh4tt3r, shailib, ???, ???, Andrey's
> envoy, Geoff, and Ron Minnich (who you can see cause he's trying to
> boot Xen on his laptop).  Not sure who the guy in the back was (or two
> of the people in the front) - feel free to add in your name if I
> missed you.
>
> Sorry about the poor quality - I need to get a better flash for
> Christmas.
>
>               -eric

Better?

[-- Attachment #2: osdi_bof.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 50816 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-13 17:33   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2004-12-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:01:08 -0000, Nigel Roles <nigel@9fs.org> wrote:
> 9fans-bounces+ngr=9fs.org@cse.psu.edu wrote:
> > I took a horrible, horrible picture.  Hopefully Geoff has some
> > that look better.

I actually have a higher-res version (10x the size) that I can play
with to try and enhance a bit better.   I'll give it a shot in my
copious spare time and maybe we'll pot it up on 9con.org.

      -eric

* [9fans] Ping to Plan9'ers in region of Ottawa, Canada
@ 2004-12-13 21:52     ` Bob Hartley
From: Bob Hartley @ 2004-12-13 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

G'Day!

Just like to ping any Plan 9 users in the Ottawa Canada area, and those
interested in getting open source/alternative software into the
Government of Canada.

Other subversives working with Linux, BSD, etc.

Meet regularly for beer and talk on Fridays.

Useful link: http://www.goslingcommunity.org/

Look forward to seeing you there.

For more information, you can email me off-list,

Robert

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-13 23:44     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2004-12-13 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ericvh, 9fans

I don't have a group picture, but I have jpegs of Eric, Ron, Tim
Newsham and plan 9 running on Xen 2 on Ron's laptop.  I've also used
rsc's mug program to generate face images, ericvh.[12] and newsham.1.
All of these can be found at www.collyer.net/where/2004dec6.9bof.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-14  1:45       ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-14  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks geoff.

It's nice to know the faces whom we are discussing through network.
>From now, I can image what kind of person is saying something...☺

>plan 9 running on Xen 2 on Ron's laptop.

Please Ron, explain what is the view of acme of the screen for us
who did not attend the bof, particularly why we can see graphic
images of Plan 9 on Xen.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-14  4:00 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2004-12-14  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Van Hensbergen, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> writes:
> I took a horrible, horrible picture.  Hopefully Geoff has some that look better.
>
> From left to right:
>
> Russ, Rob, Presto, Newsham, m4dh4tt3r, shailib, ???, ???, Andrey's
> envoy, Geoff, and Ron Minnich (who you can see cause he's trying to
> boot Xen on his laptop).  Not sure who the guy in the back was (or two
> of the people in the front) - feel free to add in your name if I
> missed you.
>
> Sorry about the poor quality - I need to get a better flash for Christmas.

Hmm.  I should have come.  I could have stood in the back and done my
drill instructor immitation while you guys laughed at my haircut.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-14  5:14   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2004-12-14  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Not sure who the guy in the back was (or two
>> of the people in the front) - feel free to add in your name if I
>> missed you.
>>
>> Sorry about the poor quality - I need to get a better flash for Christmas.
>
> Hmm.  I should have come.  I could have stood in the back and done my
> drill instructor immitation while you guys laughed at my haircut.

probably as cuddlesome as a bunch of Marines too, by the looks of it ☺

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-14  5:39         ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2004-12-14  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Kenji Okamoto wrote:

> Please Ron, explain what is the view of acme of the screen for us
> who did not attend the bof, particularly why we can see graphic
> images of Plan 9 on Xen.

Plan 9 runs under Xen as a guest os, or domain. Linux is domain 0, and
hence is "special" in that it can initiate and control other domains.
Linux talks to Xen to start the other domains. So to start Plan, you log
into linux and:
1. losetup /dev/loop0 your-plan9-root-image-file
2. xm create -f /etc/xen/plan9 -c
   starts up a plan 9 domain, domain 1 or higher.
   The -c switch gives you a telnet console to the plan 9
   console. It uses the 9pccpu kernel in the current directory.

3. drawterm to the plan 9 domain.

So, sorry, that graphics was drawterm, nothing more. You can see the
window manager bar from X11 on the far left side of the screen ... I was
running that drawterm on desktop 2 of the window manager (the wm in this
case was flwm). It's fun to flip back and forth between plan 9 and the X11
world with <Ctrl>F1 and <Ctrl>F2.

graphics may happen, but again for graphics you need to write a driver for
the display ... not simple, which is why I did this in the first place.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-15  1:07           ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-15  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Ron.

Now, I got it right.

By the way, I fetched xen-2.0.1-src.tgz and also unstable version,
but those doesn't include your Plan 9 port.   Haven't you released your
codes yet?

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4712 bytes --]

From: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:39:39 -0700 (MST)

@ 2004-12-15  2:17             ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2004-12-15  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Kenji Okamoto wrote:

> By the way, I fetched xen-2.0.1-src.tgz and also unstable version, but
> those doesn't include your Plan 9 port.  Haven't you released your codes
> yet?

Sorry, still working it. The paperwork is in, we're trying for a world
record release time of < 1 month this time.

Which seems long to me, except I know for other people I deal with that's
really fast.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
@ 2004-12-15  3:07               ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-15  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No, no, Ron, Don't worry about it.
I just had interest what is Xen 9port, though I have no time
to try for it now.   We all have limited time for ourselves!

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3882 bytes --]

From: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:17:50 -0700 (MST)

@ 2004-12-15 18:20                 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2004-12-15 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah I'm still interested in the project as a whole but at this time I
can't easily put a lot of time into it due to real life and other
commitments :(.

I'm going to be keeping an interested eye on it though :).

Dave