* [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-15  1:11 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-01-15  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Once upon a time I thought I read that Plan 9 had been ported to said
device.  But now Google wants to prove me wrong.  Did this ever happen?

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-15  1:46 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-01-15  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I believe it was inferno ported, by brucee, not plan 9.  I would like
to get either for the wrt54g.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2932 bytes --]

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:11:10 -0800

@ 2006-01-15  5:27   ` zuzu
From: zuzu @ 2006-01-15  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/14/06, geoff@collyer.net <geoff@collyer.net> wrote:
> I believe it was inferno ported, by brucee, not plan 9.  I would like
> to get either for the wrt54g.

looking into the linux port for this embedded device, i was careful to notice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

Unfortunately, following version 5 of the WRT54G, it will no longer
accept third party firmware as it is no longer a Linux-driven device.

Around the same time WRT54G v5 emerged Linksys basically re-released
the WRT54G v4 (which allows for third party firmware) under the new
model name WRT54GL with stock firmware version 4.30.0(US).

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-15  6:37     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-15  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the easiest way is if you have the right firmware there is
an easy backdoor that allows me to download ozinferno
emu to linux (which runs on the router).  running native is
more than possible but emu sufficed.

brucee

On 1/15/06, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/14/06, geoff@collyer.net <geoff@collyer.net> wrote:
> > I believe it was inferno ported, by brucee, not plan 9.  I would like
> > to get either for the wrt54g.
>
> looking into the linux port for this embedded device, i was careful to notice:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G
>
> Unfortunately, following version 5 of the WRT54G, it will no longer
> accept third party firmware as it is no longer a Linux-driven device.
>
> Around the same time WRT54G v5 emerged Linksys basically re-released
> the WRT54G v4 (which allows for third party firmware) under the new
> model name WRT54GL with stock firmware version 4.30.0(US).

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-15 20:57       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-01-15 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Unfortunately, following version 5 of the WRT54G, it will no longer
> accept third party firmware as it is no longer a Linux-driven device.

what do they use now?

* RE: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-15 21:14         ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2006-01-15 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

9fans-bounces+ngr=9fs.org@cse.psu.edu wrote:
>> Unfortunately, following version 5 of the WRT54G, it will no longer
>> accept third party firmware as it is no longer a Linux-driven device.
>
> what do they use now?

VxWorks according to Wikipedia, which is never wrong. The v5 WRT54G is
VxWorks, but you can buy a v4 Linux version as a WRT54GL. I'd heard a rumour
that they were dumping Linux in favour on VxWorks, so perhaps this is what
is was based on. I note (with amusement) that the WRT54G now needs less RAM.

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-15 21:17         ` Taj Khattra
From: Taj Khattra @ 2006-01-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> what do they use now?

vxworks

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16  0:10           ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-01-16  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Nigel Roles wrote:
> 9fans-bounces+ngr=9fs.org@cse.psu.edu wrote:
>
>>>Unfortunately, following version 5 of the WRT54G, it will no longer
>>>accept third party firmware as it is no longer a Linux-driven device.
>>
>>what do they use now?
>

> VxWorks according to Wikipedia, which is never wrong. The v5 WRT54G is
> VxWorks, but you can buy a v4 Linux version as a WRT54GL. I'd heard a rumour
> that they were dumping Linux in favour on VxWorks, so perhaps this is what
> is was based on. I note (with amusement) that the WRT54G now needs less RAM.

and, well, I wonder how much a company like that enjoyed releasing its
software as required by GPL.

I expect to see more of this in coming years, as people start to really
deal with the implications of GPL code. It will be interesting to see
what they decide.

ron

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16  0:16             ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-01-16  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> and, well, I wonder how much a company like that enjoyed releasing its
> software as required by GPL.

it's not as though they'd overlooked the ``cheat's charter'' FAQs published by
some of the embedded linux companies (ie, how to use GPL'd linux
without publishing some of the interesting source).
they were already distributing important modules binary-only.

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16  1:33               ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-16  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I do recall that you had to have the *right* linux wrt but newer ones could
be *downgraded*.  vxworks?  yuck.  no chance of getting emu to run on
that crap. linux/pthreads is icky enough.

brucee

@ 2006-01-16  1:44                 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-01-16  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Bruce Ellis wrote:
> I do recall that you had to have the *right* linux wrt but newer ones could
> be *downgraded*.  vxworks?  yuck.  no chance of getting emu to run on
> that crap. linux/pthreads is icky enough.

vxworks? Not the last time I looked. :-)

vx-doesn't-work

I once had to work on a 64-node multiprocessor running this os. (did I
call it an OS? really? WHAT was I thinking?)

The major effort was to get a computation to return the same result
twice, without rebooting the whole system.

We never did.

Chuck Cranor ported NetBSD to this system; then life got bearable.
Burning the vxworks manuals was fun.

ron

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16  2:00                   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-16  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

burning?  never thought of that.  mr shredder had trouble.

brucee

On 1/16/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> Bruce Ellis wrote:
> > I do recall that you had to have the *right* linux wrt but newer ones could
> > be *downgraded*.  vxworks?  yuck.  no chance of getting emu to run on
> > that crap. linux/pthreads is icky enough.
> >

> vxworks? Not the last time I looked. :-)
>
> vx-doesn't-work
>
> I once had to work on a 64-node multiprocessor running this os. (did I
> call it an OS? really? WHAT was I thinking?)
>
> The major effort was to get a computation to return the same result
> twice, without rebooting the whole system.
>
> We never did.
>
> Chuck Cranor ported NetBSD to this system; then life got bearable.
> Burning the vxworks manuals was fun.
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16  2:46                     ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2006-01-16  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

fire is always my first choice. but that's not really
surprising, i guess, since i'm a wildland firefighter.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16  3:12                       ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-01-16  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cnielsen, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Christopher Nielsen wrote:
> fire is always my first choice. but that's not really
> surprising, i guess, since i'm a wildland firefighter.

Of course, there's always this:
http://www.semshred.com/content551.html

ron

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16  4:00                     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-01-16  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:00:19PM +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> burning?  never thought of that.  mr shredder had trouble.

We need some homage to Boyd in this thread.

How about a Mk-19 heavy machine gun?  Or I'll settle for a .50 cal.

	- Dan `Reaches...' C.

* [9fans] Re: WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16  4:45                       ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2006-01-16  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/16/06, Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:00:19PM +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> > burning?  never thought of that.  mr shredder had trouble.
>
> We need some homage to Boyd in this thread.
>
> How about a Mk-19 heavy machine gun?  Or I'll settle for a .50 cal.

"Always go for overkill."  - Lou Reed to boyd

uriel the utopian nihilist

* Re: [9fans] Re: WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16  9:19                         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-16  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

he verified my encrypyed file system.  we had many good
meals and adult beverages in may-june (in paris).

nothing else i can say.

brucee

On 1/16/06, Uriel <lost.goblin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/16/06, Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:00:19PM +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> > > burning?  never thought of that.  mr shredder had trouble.
> >
> > We need some homage to Boyd in this thread.
> >
> > How about a Mk-19 heavy machine gun?  Or I'll settle for a .50 cal.
>
> "Always go for overkill."  - Lou Reed to boyd
>
> uriel the utopian nihilist

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16 13:13 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

maybe that's why they closed the wrt by taking a very shaky
linux off it and replacing it with ... dumber stuff.

brucee

On 1/16/06, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
> When I left Cisco, some folks seemed to have bought in to VxWorks.
> I doubt it has anything to do with GPL.  IOS has always been compiled
> with gcc.
>
>  1011 1100
>
> > and, well, I wonder how much a company like that enjoyed releasing its
> > software as required by GPL.
> >
> > I expect to see more of this in coming years, as people start to really
> > deal with the implications of GPL code. It will be interesting to see
> > what they decide.

* Re: [9fans] WRT54G Port?
@ 2006-01-16 12:50 Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-01-16 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)