* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 killer applications?
@ 2004-11-17 15:33 Brantley Coile
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brantley Coile @ 2004-11-17 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To be more serious than probably required, here are my thoughts on the
question of `Plan 9 killer apps.'

The term killer app is somewhat misleading in that when we hear it we
tend to think about the product not the user of the product.  The term
really means that there are groups of people who can use the benefits
of that product over others, giving the product a competive advantage.
The classic example is the Apple MacIntosh.  It was lost as long as it
was meant to replace the IBM PC, but as soon as folks at Apple
realised that there were people in companies who need to work with
typesetting and got the word out to them that the Mac was very good at
desktop publishing, the Mac was a hit.

This discussion has been indirectly doing that in talking about
features, all of which, I think, are good ones.  It seems to me,
however, a better question would be who can benefit most from the
unique features of Plan 9.  Or, to put it another way, Who are the
users and what are the benefits of Plan 9 features to them that they
couldn't get any where else.

  Brantley Coile www.coraid.com

* RE: [9fans] Plan 9 killer applications?
@ 2004-11-17 17:25 Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2004-11-17 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>This discussion keeps coming up. It has no answer for desktop guys.

Inferno makes a nice desktop, despite the fact that it's an OS in it's own right.  It works for me, though, especially if you bind it's directories to the root, so that Inferno's namespace has access to the whole Plan9 filesystem...

from postmaster@ethel:
The following attachment had content that we can't
prove to be harmless.  To avoid possible automatic
execution, we changed the content headers.
The original header was:

[-- Attachment #2.2: winmail.dat.suspect --]

* RE: [9fans] Plan 9 killer applications?
@ 2004-11-16 21:24 Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2004-11-16 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Johnson, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell     Labs

Union directories and the file-oriented system... beautiful beyond words.  This is how operating systems should have been all along!!

-Ben

From: David Leimbach @ 2004-11-16 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's a horrible marketing term, "killer application", but I'm curious
if there was a single piece of software other than the OS itself that
has brought you to use Plan 9 in your daily or at least weekly lives.

People ask me all the time why I use plan 9 and I usually end up
saying something nice about the acme editor or the overall
environment.  With plan9port some of that is very easily simulated
natively on other Operating Systems.

It just seems since Plan 9 isn't very POSIX or ANSI C [without APE]
that it clearly won't build many unix apps out of the box.  Conversely
there might be some plan 9 application that isn't really available
elsewhere either but really stands out.

I'm not sure how people feel about advocacy but this is the sort of
information people like to hear when they ask "why bother?"

Dave